Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica Q2  (Read 9215 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Leica Q2
« on: March 07, 2019, 04:49:11 pm »

The Leica Q2 has been announced.

Am I the only one to find it very appealing?

I may just cancel my long standing Nikon 500mm f5.6 PF and reallocate that cash for the Leica. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

John Camp

Re: Leica Q2
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 06:24:17 pm »

I find its appearance appealing.I would definitely find the camera appealing if it had interchangeable lenses, even a sharply limited set of lenses -- say 24, 50 and 85. One problem with fixed lens cameras (aside from the lack of flexibility) is that people "see" differently. I tend to "see" slightly long...say, 60 to 85. So...not for me.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 02:45:13 am »

The Leica Q2 has been announced.

Am I the only one to find it very appealing?

I may just cancel my long standing Nikon 500mm f5.6 PF and reallocate that cash for the Leica. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Shot with Leica a few times in the days of film but never really clicked with them, excuse the pun. I just cannot see them as serious tools for my commercial work and that’s  true now as well.

But this camera looks really wonderful. I could see it becoming my companion. It’s that type of camera.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 04:25:01 am »

I sure find it appealing, just lack the funds...

The good news is that for 28mm FOV, the new Ricoh GR3, with image stabilization, is much more affordable:)

But I think I prefer 35mm as a single lens camera, and for that, the new Zeiss ZX1 is sure appealing too!

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 07:26:01 am »

But I think I prefer 35mm as a single lens camera, and for that, the new Zeiss ZX1 is sure appealing too!
I just took a look at this and it's pretty interesting.  It has LR built in so you can do some editing with the camera with 512 GB of internal storage (6800 RAW images).  37.4 mp sensor.  I wonder what the price point of this relative to the Leica.

vjbelle

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 07:31:45 am »

5K????  They sure aren't getting my money......

Victor

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 03:48:59 pm »

Is not 47mp? 

Interesting camera. Fixed 28mm too limiting

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 04:29:10 pm »

M version please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Telecaster

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 04:44:59 pm »

The upcoming Zeiss ZX1 interests me more too, mainly 'cuz of the Android OS and longer (35mm) lens. But I have enough gear already…

-Dave-

BAB

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 05:27:33 pm »

Just  wondering if anyone knows why the buffer is so small from what I understand it only will capture 11 raws before bogging down.
Also no engineering for a slick willy tilt swing screen am I the only one who sometimes used that?
The EVF is not state of art besides those niggles I think it should be a great camera for snapshots.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

faberryman

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 05:30:01 pm »

Just  wondering if anyone knows why the buffer is so small from what I understand it only will capture 11 raws before bogging down.
Also no engineering for a slick willy tilt swing screen am I the only one who sometimes used that?
The EVF is not state of art besides those niggles I think it should be a great camera for snapshots.
Why good for "snapshots"? A 47MP camera with a Leica lens ought to be good for something more than "snapshots". What, for example, are you using for your serious work?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 07:07:09 pm »

Well, it is probably going to deliver a level of image quality close to 4x5, but yes, great snapshots.  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

JV

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 09:08:36 pm »

I am on the pre-order list. 

I also have the SL and CL and I used to have the original Q but sold it because I was using the other cameras more.

The higher resolution and the weather sealing are a plus, also for travel the fact that it uses the same battery now as the SL is very interesting. 

hogloff

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 08:34:31 am »

Well, it is probably going to deliver a level of image quality close to 4x5, but yes, great snapshots.  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

Same lens as the Q1 so that will limits the image quality...especially near edges and corners.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 09:12:32 am »

Same lens as the Q1 so that will limits the image quality...especially near edges and corners.

Yes, same lens as Q1, but it is outstanding.

Cheers,
Bernard

hasselbladfan

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2019, 11:25:47 am »

This means the M11 and the SL2 (announced for June by an Italian, who could not keep his mouth) will follow very soon with the same sensor (47MP).

That will allow everyone to fit the lens they like.

I bet my money on the SL2. The prime SL Summicron lenses (35-50-75-90) are razor sharp. And I can also use my old Leica glass (R & M).  8)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 11:32:55 am by hasselbladfan »

hogloff

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2019, 11:30:36 am »

Yes, same lens as Q1, but it is outstanding.

Cheers,
Bernard

Never owned it, but from what I read it seems the 28mm lens does not quite fill a full frame sensor and some magical software needs to be applied to use the full sensor size...thus making the image not so good on the edges. Also lens distortion is corrected, again degrading the edges.

Telecaster

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2019, 04:48:09 pm »

Never owned it, but from what I read it seems the 28mm lens does not quite fill a full frame sensor and some magical software needs to be applied to use the full sensor size...thus making the image not so good on the edges. Also lens distortion is corrected, again degrading the edges.

Made a total hash of my initial reply, so let's try again.

The Q's lens was designed with software correction in mind. Its actual focal length is likely a bit wider than 28mm in order for the corrections to be applied without cutting into the field-of-view people expect from a 28mm lens. The software corrections for distortion allow for a more compact lens design, in keeping with the rest of the camera.

-Dave-

hogloff

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2019, 05:39:24 pm »

Made a total hash of my initial reply, so let's try again.

The Q's lens was designed with software correction in mind. Its actual focal length is likely a bit wider than 28mm in order for the corrections to be applied without cutting into the field-of-view people expect from a 28mm lens. The software corrections for distortion allow for a more compact lens design, in keeping with the rest of the camera.

-Dave-

How does this image manipulation affect overall image quality? Seems people feel the edges of the images are compromised.

SrMi

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 12:19:13 am »

How does this image manipulation affect overall image quality? Seems people feel the edges of the images are compromised.

Sean Reid (reidreviews.com) wrote a detailed review of the camera and the lens. His site is subscription only but is very well worth it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up