Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR Classic CC not showing PS edits unless LR close/reopen  (Read 4699 times)

pflower

Re: LR Classic CC not showing PS edits unless LR close/reopen
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2019, 02:45:08 pm »

I wonder if there isn't a memory issue with this.

I have experienced edits not showing up in LR a lot over several years.  Sometimes if you force a reload of the preview file on an existing photo in LR which has been edited in PS (i.e. by switching between library and develop module) that loaded the new, edited, file.

But recently I have been doing a lot of B&W conversions by opening files in PS (through the "edit in" command in LR) and then saving in PS.  These are reasonably large 16bit Tiffs - about 250MB each.  Sometimes the files simply do not appear in the LR catalog next to the original RAW file, but what I have noticed is that if I immediately close the file in PS after saving it - and so only ever have a single file open in PS - then the edited, converted file 9 times out of 10 is immediately visible in LR.  Previously I hadn't bothered and could have had 5 or even 7 or 8 250MB files "open" in PS.  Closing each file in PS after saving it so that the next file is the only file open in PS does seem to work for me.

I have a late 2015 iMac 27inch with 24GB RAM which otherwise is more than competent for the work I do.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: LR Classic CC not showing PS edits unless LR close/reopen
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2019, 03:55:34 pm »

Thanks for your input. 

I think this is a different issue that the one I was trying to figure out though.  The initial edited file when saved in PS would always appear straight away back in LR, it was any subsequent edit in PS, after the file was closed then reopened, that was not getting updated in LR unless I did a close/open of LR, or waited a while, or tried to force a synch.  I also had some odd thumbnail appearances (sometime seeming to update, sometimes not). 

For my system, as I posted in the last entry or 2, it was fully resolved after testing with files stored on internal Raid 0 SATA SSDs, while the initial testing that was giving me problems was on files on a spinning HD in an external TB3 enclosure.  All the testing was done when PS was empty (ie it had no files open except the one moving there from LR).

My system has 64GB RAM.  LR cache and catalog are on a separate M2 drive than the OS which is also on an M2 drive.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up