Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon odd design choice - an ADAPTED kit lens...  (Read 2842 times)

Dan Wells

Re: Canon odd design choice - an ADAPTED kit lens...
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2019, 03:31:07 pm »

I haven't seen a weight on the 70-200 RF yet... The interesting question will be how much lighter (if any) it is than the comparable EF lens. The Canon RF 24-105 is about 15% lighter than the EF equivalent, the Z kit lens is 20% lighter than the Canon 24-70 f4 DSLR lens (It would, of course, be better to compare Nikons to Nikons, but Nikon doesn't make a 24-70 f4 for F mount), and the new 24-70 f2.8 Z lens is close to 1/3 lighter than the 24-70 F mount Nikkor.

Will the compact Canon 70-200 have a similar weight reduction compared to Canon's 70-200 f2.8 for EF mount?  If it's just collapsible, but of conventional weight, that's still an advantage - it looks like it might fit in 24-70 slots in many bags, or it might fit in 70-200 slots, but with the hood on... If it has a weight advantage, especially if it's towards the 30% end of the scale, that's another advantage.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2019, 04:45:42 pm »

We’ll have to see also the impact of the collapsible design on image quality (starting with bokeh) and durability, if any. I would personnally not like to see aspherical grinding marks appear in the oof highlights balls of such a tele design.

My understanding is that the shorter flange distance has little advantage for tele lenses, which probably means that this lens could have been designed the same way for EOS mount. The question is why they didn’t until now?

Cheers,
Bernard

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2019, 03:43:05 am »

Agreed that we won't know definitively until it is released and tested. However given the glowing reviews for the 50 and 28-70, and the importance of a very high quality 70-200 (and the quality of the EF70-200), it is difficult to believe it would be less than excellent.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2019, 05:07:17 pm »

Agreed that we won't know definitively until it is released and tested. However given the glowing reviews for the 50 and 28-70, and the importance of a very high quality 70-200 (and the quality of the EF70-200), it is difficult to believe it would be less than excellent.

It will be excellent, but I am just wondering about the look of the oof highlights.

It can be argued that those aren’t very important in a 28-70, but they are make or break in a 70-200.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up