Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: My week with the EOS R  (Read 8575 times)

BJL

Re: My week with the EOS R
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2019, 08:46:53 am »

The point is if the differences in size among the four different FF mirrorless formats appeared so far will mean or not any real advantage in practice.

So far no one can confirm or deny this, ...
I agree on the first paragraph, but the start of the second explains exactly why we should expect the question to be discussed in forums like this!

The possibility of making a large aperture lens for a narrow mount but at the cost of severe vignetting is illustrated by the Leica Noctilux 50/0.95:
https://www.opticallimits.com/leicam/860-noctilux50asph?start=1

Note also that the claim that “everything is completely fine with Sony E Mount for 36x24 format” implies that “every other modern mirrorless mount is pointlessly oversized (MFT, Fujifilm X and G, Hasselblad XCD,  Leica L, Nikon Z, Canon RF), and so only Sony has got it right”, which has a hint of fanboyism to it. I would prefer a hypothesis in which all companies have made choices that make sense, and differ due to different goals, different predictions about uncertain long-term future developments, and coming from different situations, like different priorities for backward compatibility.

Rado

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2019, 08:58:15 am »

Did this thread get renamed to "Sony mount limitations"? No? Then why are you still posting about it here?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2019, 09:09:19 am »

Did this thread get renamed to "Sony mount limitations"? No? Then why are you still posting about it here?

Indeed, you are right, apologies.

Cheers,
Bernard

BJL

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2019, 11:38:26 am »

Sorry for following the topic creep, that started with an innocent comment in post #10 about waiting to see how the various new systems fare in practice. Since the topic is of inevitable interest to some of us, I suggest diverting or “quarantining” it: https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=129508.msg1099666#msg1099666

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2019, 10:43:53 am »

FYI - I plan to spend another week with the EOS R, and use it more intensively, next week while I'm in FLA shooting. I ended up renting from lensrentals.com since Canon CPS has shortened loaner time to 6 days (incl transit back!), so not even a full shoot, so I'd have expensive overnight FedEx getting it back. I can bill my client for the rental, but not the FedEx for the loaner. A no-brainer as to which way to go. I'll give an update on my thoughts later.

As for the "Sony mount" controversy, It's like arguing about Nikon vs. Canon, and now Canon vs. Sony. All three companies are very capable and have a lot to offer. It comes down to preference for me. I've never really cared for Nikon (going back 40 years to fil days) and nor do I really care for Sony. Unlike some, I don't have to money or luxury to jump shit every time a different manufacturer comes out with something. Canon has served me well over all these years and continues to do so (even if I do get frustrated at times with their conservative turn), and I have never failed to do a shoot because of my equipment -- EVER. Now if you want to talk about my own failures, or back in the day when a client forced me to shoot EPN over my preferred Fujichrome, that's another story.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up