Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Important Announcement Relating to all Workshops.  (Read 49567 times)

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
Important Announcement Relating to all Workshops.
« on: February 11, 2019, 02:20:45 pm »

Important Announcement from The Luminous Landscape Inc. (“LuLa”)

On December 28, 2018, Rockhopper LLC, LuLa’s exclusive travel partner since 2015, acquired LuLa’s Workshop business.  This change will not impact any of the scheduled Workshops for 2019 or require any action by people who have registered for:
Japan, January 17-28, 2019;
Antarctica, February 11-18, 2019;
Greenland, September 2-11, 2019;
Antarctica, February 15-22, 2020; or,
All future Workshops that Rockhopper may offer.

After over a decade of exposing hundreds of satisfied photography enthusiasts to some of the most beautiful and exotic locations around the world, LuLa will now begin a new chapter and focus on our own path forward in offering photographic experiences and our evolving online content.

Since 2015, Rockhopper has been LuLa’s exclusive travel facilitator and it is a natural step for Rockhopper - together with its travel partners - to now assume exclusive responsibility for the planning and delivery of all Workshops. 

If you have any questions about this change, please see   or please contact Kevin Raber, CEO Rockhopper LLC at:
Tel __317 379 7482____________; or
email: kwr@rockhopperworkshops.com

Thank you for your attention.

Best,

Josh Reichmann
Compassion and wisdom are inextricably linked.

amolitor

• Contributor
Re: Important Announcement Relating to all Workshops.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 03:58:54 pm »

What does this mean?

Is Lula out of the workshop business after the ones already scheduled, or what?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 04:17:43 pm »

Write to Kevin to find out.

My guess is that Rockhopper will continue doing workshops as long as Kevin has the energy and interest, but they won't be formally connected with LuLa. But that's just my guess. Kevin certainly knows better.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 04:27:06 pm »

What does this mean?

Is Lula out of the workshop business after the ones already scheduled, or what?

Seems to me Josh' announcement is quite clear: LuLa is out of the workshop business as of December 28 last year.

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 05:04:21 pm »

The version of travel hosting, photo-trips and the ways in which we expose and offer a window to "exotic locations" will differ to that of our previous workshop model. We plan on pursuing this in ways which make these experiences more accessible, among other things.

We wish Rockhopper and Kevin well!

Josh

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 06:26:40 pm »

I mean, I got that the Rockhopper relationship was getting wound down in a coherent and reasonable fashion.

It sounds like... LuLa may or may not be offering its own workshops in future? With the details undecided at the present time?

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 06:29:39 pm »

^ precisely

Best,

Josh

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 02:53:37 pm »

I wouldn't go to workshops out of dislike for any kind of group activity that involves bragging rights/rites, overt or otherwise, and more than one photographer - me - doing his thing. If you want to consider photography as some kind of art, then I guess you have to decide whether art requires a single mind's input or that of group of people which may or may not contribute to a raised awareness of whatever is there to be snapped at with the toys available. It would feel terribly strange comparing notes with other snappers within that group at some later date, or before group dinner - another nightmare - and would have me wondering why one was doing it at all... it seems to me to revert to some kind of unstated group sex activity, mainly of the pre-sex stage of butting heads together, the locking of horns, as it were. I thought that we, as humans, were different. However, what with all these photographer and painter monkeys and apes I have been reading about lately, nothing seems to be as it was anymore. Well, they do do communal shoots at city zoos, so I guess somebody was paying close attention whilst munching a banana.

Anyway, were I inclined to putting myself into follower mode, then it would at least have to be at the spiritual feet of a single guru for whom I held a great esteem. Even that seems something I would not really enjoy having to do. As an aside, wild horses would fail to have me officiate at any such gathering; I wouldn't have anything to say to the earnest folks looking towards me for spiritual guidance; first, I'd need the illusion that I had my own life sorted. And the more snaps I make the more distant that prospect.

Maybe the best photo trip is just down the street. Or in the local park. And it's probably free.

Aram Hăvărneanu

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 04:20:21 pm »

Well if you can find out how you can go to Antarctica by yourself, please tell me, as I am very interested.

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 04:00:33 am »

Well if you can find out how you can go to Antarctica by yourself, please tell me, as I am very interested.

More to the point, why would you? To check your compass? It's cold there, looking for which is insane; your body is already telling you that the moment you need to pull on a sweater! Were we intended for that nonsense we'd all be wearing permanent off-white fur.

Trust your body, not your mind: your body never lies but your mind often does because it knows another part pays...

;-)

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 10:38:22 pm »

There are any number of tours or cruises you can book for yourself.

You can seek employment on the continent, I know several people who have worked there. It's not terribly hard to get one of the many jobs available, most people are unwilling to make the necessary commitment.

Or you can simply buy a boat and go. The southern ocean is not for weaklings, but if you sit tight and wait for a weather window it's perfectly doable in a moderately well found small boat.

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 01:02:12 am »

While I have yet to go on such a workshop that costs more than a multiple of price of all the camera equipment I own, I can see why one would want to do them if there is the means to pay for it.  Not everyone is the same.  There are many circumstances that deter folks to go it alone and explore for themselves a new landscape in a remote part of the world to photograph.  In many respect this has become more of a (photo)tourism by and large recently where people find it more satisfying to go on a vacation with like-minded folks and where you may even learn something from experts in the field of your interest, if you are so inclined.  I have heard stories that many times some people on these expensive trips have just bought a new camera and don't know how to operate it. 

Not something I ever would want to do unless I won a free trip from a lottery, but why not if you can afford it. 

My 2 cents...

:Niranjan.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 03:16:20 am by nirpat89 »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2019, 02:30:50 am »

... Or you can simply buy a boat and go. The southern ocean is not for weaklings, but if you sit tight and wait for a weather window it's perfectly doable in a moderately well found small boat.

Oh, that’s the image I’d love to see! Andrew, the armchair philosopher, rowing in a small boat toward Antarctica... bye, bye!  ;D

Then again, you certainly know what you are talking about. A couple of years ago, you viciously attacked Michael Reichmann on your blog for “overcharging” for Antarctica trips.

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2019, 06:14:16 am »

Then again, you certainly know what you are talking about. A couple of years ago, you viciously attacked Michael Reichmann on your blog for “overcharging” for Antarctica trips.
[/quote]

Fully agree Slo. I never understood why he was allowed to even belong here never mind post articles after that uncalled for attack on Michael, Kevin, and Chris. Jealousy perhaps??
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 12:36:04 pm »

Galapagos, not Antarctica. I got a lot of flak for that piece, but nobody was ever able to explain what was actually wrong with my arithmetic.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 12:42:32 pm »

...nobody was ever able to explain what was actually wrong with my arithmetic.

Nothing is ever wrong with any arithmetic, assuming it is done correctly. What was wrong was your interpretation of it, your attempt to portray Michael Reichmann as an unscrupulous, greedy, price-gauging bastard.

bwana

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2019, 02:11:43 pm »

The contributions all of you have made to this forum are beautiful. As we all know, the image is never like that coming out of the camera. But the journey from raw to print is something I would like to make with a couple of you looking over my shoulder and pointing out my mistakes before I make them. In fact,  I would even pay to spend a day to do this with some of you in the Boston area, not shooting but doing post. But we would need a place with a calibrated monitor and printer so we dont waste time on technicalities.

RogTallbloke

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2019, 06:26:29 pm »

Or you can simply buy a boat and go. The southern ocean is not for weaklings, but if you sit tight and wait for a weather window it's perfectly doable in a moderately well found small boat.

What are the mooring fees like in McMurdo sound? Or were you planning to simply rock up to marine glacier, wallop in a mooring stake with a frozen penguin, and crampon your way onto the continent?

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2019, 09:04:34 pm »

What are the mooring fees like in McMurdo sound? Or were you planning to simply rock up to marine glacier, wallop in a mooring stake with a frozen penguin, and crampon your way onto the continent?

I haven't the slightest intention of taking a small boat to Antarctica. I have other things to do, and Antarctica has never seemed very interesting to me.

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2019, 01:42:06 am »

Antarctica has never seemed very interesting to me.

Then you should go, and realise the error of your lazy impression. It's a life-altering experience.

Jeremy
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up