Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Important Announcement Relating to all Workshops.  (Read 49573 times)

Rob C

Re: Important Announcement Relating to all Workshops.
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2019, 05:51:22 am »

Then you should go, and realise the error of your lazy impression. It's a life-altering experience.

Jeremy

I'm absolutely certain that it might be: I already suffer from Raynaud's, and the thrill of frozen fingers and toes makes every winter's night a pleasure of masochistic self-touching in bed when I can't avoid it.

It puts an entirely new meaning onto the crucifix position as aid to getting some sleep. The Vitruvian Man one is even better, but only as an initial exercise.

And that's without ever dipping a toe in either geographic extreme!

;-)

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 01:35:08 pm by Rob C »

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2019, 09:14:50 am »

Then you should go, and realise the error of your lazy impression. It's a life-altering experience.

Jeremy

Perhaps if someone brought back an interesting photograph or two, I might be persuaded.

Not all of us have the resources for an expedition like this, Jeremy. No matter how you slice it, it's at least many weeks and a few 10s of thousands of dollars., neither of which I can afford to spend on "life altering experiences." I'm afraid that I, like most of the people in the world, am forced to expend my resources mainly on "life maintaining experiences."

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2019, 12:54:36 pm »

No matter how you slice it, it's at least many weeks and a few 10s of thousands of dollars, neither of which I can afford to spend on "life altering experiences."

It's up to you, of course, but you exaggerate the difficulties. I went from my home in Manchester and was back in a fortnight. It wasn't cheap, but even including the air fare to Santiago, it was less than "a few 10s of thousands of dollars"; and if you don't fly across the Drake, it's less expensive still.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2019, 01:56:38 pm »

Perhaps if someone brought back an interesting photograph or two, I might be persuaded.

You're safe: a very interesting ice picture was made by a member right there in America; if those exciting trips to the Poles (N or S - not mid-European) had anything to do with image quality, then there wouldn't be the need for such environmentally dodgy junkets "expeditions" at all...

I have absolutely no beef with folks spending their wad as they wish, just as long as they do nothing to disturb nature at such a critical time in her life - and ours. When there is no need to go to places where balance is turning critical, then people should know better and keep the hell away unless they are contributing something useful. A ship never travels without doing some environmental harm.

Likewise invading coral reefs, intruding on wild animals in Africa or exploiting impoverished people in third-world countries because one can. Throw in war zones, and the double-dealing motivations that curse many photographers make for an unedifying picture of both breed and mankind.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 02:00:10 pm by Rob C »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2019, 02:45:22 pm »

Yes, it so much better, environmentally- friendly, and humane to sit at home and browse the internet.

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2019, 04:16:02 pm »

Oh come on, Rob, that's not fair. It's not just endless pictures of ice. There's also endless pictures of penguins lost in North Dakota!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2019, 04:24:38 pm »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2020, 08:36:22 pm »

I am not sure I am getting this debate really.

Some people buy 350,000 US$ Ferraris. I am personally not interested in spending this amount of cash for a car, but it would never cross my mind to criticize the way they spend the money they own or are willing to borrow from the bank.

Similarly, the amount of cash I am spending on photo equipment seems insane seen by most of my friends, but they all appear to understand that this is my own priorities.

Why would photo WS be different? Yes, spending 14,000 US$ to be 6 days on a boat in Antarctica may seem crazy, but then again, why not? Many people could afford this if they really prioritized it over other activities, such as buying cars, going on family vacation,... So this is just a matter of the value you associate to it relative to your wealth. Many elederly people have made a good living and sound investements and for them 14,000 for the trip of a life time probably has amazingly good value. If you are fit and cashless, it may be much better value to buy a ticket to Nepal and walk to the Chooyu base camp. Amazing views too at 1/3 the price.

cheers,
Bernard

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2020, 04:07:24 am »

I am not sure I am getting this debate really.

I'm not sure it's a debate, Bernard; or if it is, it's a distinctly languid debate. Yours is the first post for more than a year. Why?

Jeremy

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2023, 10:49:51 am »

More and more the cost has gotten out of touch. As someone who runs my own printing workshops we keep our cost as low as we can and still take home a little bit. My wife and I were researching Yellowstone winter workshops and the cost was crazy high. 5 days for $5995PP plus travel and the extras came close to $15,000 for the two of us. I am all for them making money but it was too much for us. Not sure what we will do but we may just drive out and do a week in the fall all by ourselves. Cost maybe $3,000.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up