Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: General Musings  (Read 4230 times)

Rob C

General Musings
« on: February 08, 2019, 05:29:29 pm »

I wonder if there's mileage in a slot like this, where folks can post random impressions of their photographic condition, whether they feel they're getting somewhere, whether or not the thrill is gone or just burgeoning like a brand new love affair? I suppose it really needs to be about anything but showing off images, which here, would be kinda redundant.

To kick it off: I realised that I hadn't been using my D700 for weeks, so thinking that I had better exercise the shuttter, I yanked it out of its bed and, with 2/35mm still on it from the last outing, off I went.

Almost immediately I felt deeply unhappy, wishing I'd just taken the D200 with the almost glued on 1.8/50mm as usual (also neglected of late, I must admit), and the entire walk was ruined by having the thing hang from my shoulder, then from around my neck, and then back on the shoulder in vain search for comfort. I shot about three exposures and haven't had the interest to get them out of the camera yet.

The ideal would be buying an 85mm, which is close enough as dammit the same as the 50mm on the other body, but I have no intention of blowing a penny on more stuff. At least, not unless there's something seriously worthwhile going down. It seems that as one ages it turns out that the "natural" perspective that suits one comes to the fore like never before. It felt so strange and unpleasant seeing something that fitted right into my pleasure zone, but realising I couldn't shoot it with the thing in my hand. I never feel I have the wrong combination with that D200/50mm arrangement on walkabout shoots. Also, it hangs from an original F strap, narrow and easy to wind around my wrist for safety, and for some reason, the entire setup feels far more easy to hold steady.

Perhaps worse, my computer has decided to groan when starting up, and instead of opening onto the usual desktop display, it has decided to insist on shouting American Megatrends at me, and to get rid of that I have to hit F1 and then F5 (I think) and click accepting alterations I have not made, just to get to that desktop. Fun.

faberryman

Re: General Musings
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 06:02:35 pm »

So what you are saying is that you had a bad day. It happens.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 09:33:49 pm »

Both, D700 and D200 are rather heavy. Having a lighter model, such as a D5300 (quite inexpensive, yet very capable) with a 35mm/1.8 lens might help.

stamper

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 03:34:24 am »

Perhaps worse, my computer has decided to groan when starting up, and instead of opening onto the usual desktop display, it has decided to insist on shouting American Megatrends at me, and to get rid of that I have to hit F1 and then F5 (I think) and click accepting alterations I have not made, just to get to that desktop. Fun.

The battery in your motherboard might be dying?

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 04:44:54 am »

So what you are saying is that you had a bad day. It happens.

Every day?

;-)

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 04:52:54 am »

The battery in your motherboard might be dying?

That's an idea - I'll see if the people who built my computer are still around; I knew one of the young people there quite well because his parents ran a bar in which we used to enjoy having snacks and coffees. I wonder about them being around, because the owner of the computer shop was rich, and apparently ran the thing for fun; I remember the lad I knew saying that he was worried about the permanence of his job there because of the owner's other interests.

Thanks for the tip!

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 04:57:16 am »

Both, D700 and D200 are rather heavy. Having a lighter model, such as a D5300 (quite inexpensive, yet very capable) with a 35mm/1.8 lens might help.

But Les, I'd then have four cameras about whose shutters I'd worry about not getting enough use! The F3 doesn't even have batteries, so it has become a jewel instead of a camera. With island dampness, the shutter may have become solid state.

;-)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 05:50:01 am »

Rob,

I can relate to that conundrum. One way to stave off getting stuck with a malfunctioning camera is to get another backup camera of the same lineage.   ;)

stamper

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 07:15:18 am »

It would be easy to do yourself. Unplug the computer and take the case off. The battery on my computer motherboard is a watch battery about the size of a two pence. If it isn't the problem then you haven't wasted much time or money.

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 09:02:09 am »

It would be easy to do yourself. Unplug the computer and take the case off. The battery on my computer motherboard is a watch battery about the size of a two pence. If it isn't the problem then you haven't wasted much time or money.

Thanks - I'll have a look.

Just one problem: what happens to all the info in the computer if it is left without any battery for a while? Do I risk losing programmes or is that stuff all stored on the hard drive and safe?

I'd imagine it should be, or how could anyone change a battery, but I don't honestly know anything much about these machines other than to make sure they are unplugged and left for a few minutes to lose any charge that may be built up somewhere.

Rob

stamper

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 09:10:26 am »

Thanks - I'll have a look.

Just one problem: what happens to all the info in the computer if it is left without any battery for a while? Do I risk losing programmes or is that stuff all stored on the hard drive and safe?

I'd imagine it should be, or how could anyone change a battery, but I don't honestly know anything much about these machines other than to make sure they are unplugged and left for a few minutes to lose any charge that may be built up somewhere.

Rob

I didn't lose anything.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 10:02:51 am »

You loose only the time (both your time required to replace the battery and the clock).
After the change, you'll have to reset the computer clock.

John R

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 10:20:49 am »

I didn't lose anything.
You may lose some of your bios settings, which you need so hardware parts can interact with the computer. As mentioned, one is the time settings. Also be aware some batteries are soldered to board. I had to buy a special battery with cable and plug that in effect bypasses the original battery, so you don't have to remove it. The new battery was glued, (or you can velcro it), to case. No big deal since most computers are not much good after about 5-7 years.

https://www.wikihow.com/Replace-the-Battery-in-Your-PC

JR
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 01:43:02 pm by John R »

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 11:48:58 am »

General Musings would be an apt screen name for the OP.

;-)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 12:16:04 pm »

General Musings would be an apt screen name for the OP.

;-)
Good idea.

Then, would Slobodan be a candidate for Colonel Musings?   :D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 12:27:58 pm »

... would Slobodan be a candidate for Colonel Musings?   :D

In contrast to Rob, I can still have a bad hair day   :P

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2019, 01:24:23 pm »

Great response.   ;D  ;D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Ivophoto

General Musings
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 01:35:54 pm »

Slobodan’s bad hair day ruined my hair cut as well.

“A six year old can do Picasso”

Huh

« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 01:41:21 pm by Ivophoto »

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2019, 02:39:42 pm »

But can you have a bad ponytail day?

I can.

;-)

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2019, 03:38:32 pm »

But can you have a bad ponytail day?

I can.

;-)

Let's hope Moira's internet connection is down and she won't read this...
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up