Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: fox  (Read 1722 times)

Ivophoto

Re: fox
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2019, 04:59:07 am »

Referencing to Patricia’s Fox,

All tough it seems properly exposed, I have my thought about the exposure. It’s a typical histogram exposure, it result in a clinical animal extruded from his environment.
It is a choice and I don’t have comment on you choice, just want to shine light on another approach.

Overdoing the PP and keeping the old fashioned zone system approach in mind instead of the histogram method would result in a different and in my opinion more plastic and less clinical result.

If I may suggest, you could apply a radial luminance mask filter to the highlight to bring back more detail in the snow and increase contrast on the fox to get more expression in the fur.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2019, 12:33:17 pm »

Referencing to Patricia’s Fox,

All tough it seems properly exposed, I have my thought about the exposure. It’s a typical histogram exposure, it result in a clinical animal extruded from his environment.
It is a choice and I don’t have comment on you choice, just want to shine light on another approach.

Overdoing the PP and keeping the old fashioned zone system approach in mind instead of the histogram method would result in a different and in my opinion more plastic and less clinical result.

If I may suggest, you could apply a radial luminance mask filter to the highlight to bring back more detail in the snow and increase contrast on the fox to get more expression in the fur.

It's processed in exactly the way I intended it. The fox was alone, looking at us, in a large expanse of snow. You might not like the environment, but that's what it was. I don't want to try to introduce detail in the snow which wasn't there.

Jeremy

Ivophoto

fox
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2019, 12:42:25 pm »

It's processed in exactly the way I intended it. The fox was alone, looking at us, in a large expanse of snow. You might not like the environment, but that's what it was. I don't want to try to introduce detail in the snow which wasn't there.

Jeremy

Then I misinterpreted the question mark above the picture, Jeremy. I’m sorry.

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2019, 12:47:43 pm »

Jeremy, are these from your Japan trip?
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2019, 12:54:57 pm »

Then I misinterpreted the question mark above the picture, Jeremy. I’m sorry.

Not at all. I'm interested in views, which is why I post here.

Jeremy, are these from your Japan trip?

Yes. I have quite a few to get through!

Jeremy

Ivophoto

fox
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2019, 01:18:33 pm »

Not at all. I'm interested in views, which is why I post here.

Ok,
What I mean in bringing back detail in the snow according to the zone system approach is placing the snow in VIII close to IX (9zone system) this would reveal subtle detail in the snow like a very faint shadow of the fox. It would put the animal with his feet on earth and not floating in white.It is not about changing the intent of the image, only to get rid of the clipped white.
Maybe this is the case in the original file and is the small web jpeg short in DR.

It’s subtle, check this penguin picture of Frans Lanting. They’re firmly on the ground with the minimum of detail in the snow

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 01:01:13 am by Ivophoto »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2019, 06:17:59 pm »

Ok,
What I mean in bringing back detail in the snow according to the zone system approach is placing the snow in XIII close to IX (9zone system) ...
1) If you want to try this, you might be better off with VIII rather than XIII.

2) Ignore all the suggested "improvements," Jeremy. Your original is the best of the lot.

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Ivophoto

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2019, 01:00:41 am »

1) If you want to try this, you might be better off with VIII rather than XIII.

2) Ignore all the suggested "improvements," Jeremy. Your original is the best of the lot.

-Eric

Haha, yes, stupid me. Of course.

Ivophoto

fox
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2019, 01:06:46 am »

Anyhow, leaves me to suggest, if you clean out the unwanted elements in the frame, do it carefully and with a clone brush, not just the gum.
Look at the second frame left side. Even on the tiny JPEG I think I can see where content is cleared out. (Straight line left, left of the fox’ feet) only Jeremy can confirm if this what I see. This would clarify my remarks.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 03:03:56 am by Ivophoto »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2019, 03:30:42 am »

Anyhow, leaves me to suggest, if you clean out the unwanted elements in the frame, do it carefully and with a clone brush, not just the gum.
Look at the second frame left side. Even on the tiny JPEG I think I can see where content is cleared out. (Straight line left, left of the fox’ feet) only Jeremy can confirm if this what I see. This would clarify my remarks.

That's a fair point, and one I'd not spotted. It's not from removing elements, it's from extending the canvas size in PS without adequate care.

Jeremy

Ivophoto

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2019, 03:34:09 am »

That's a fair point, and one I'd not spotted. It's not from removing elements, it's from extending the canvas size in PS without adequate care.

Jeremy

Ha ok, all clear.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up