Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A cooperation  (Read 3227 times)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: A cooperation
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2019, 07:24:15 pm »

Maybe we need two new threads: one for "Good photos" and one for "Bad photos."   :D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2019, 01:13:24 am »

Seriously Russ you are like that one soldier in a drill platoon out of step and thinking you are the only one in step. By just about everyone’s definition including Magnum you are wrong. As a classification tool for people to use the definition is a recognised social contract and by now you must see that the generally used definition is different to what you use. That makes your definition pointless for anything other than a idealistic debate. Churchill defines a fanatic as someone who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject. You are coming across as that person.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2019, 06:26:00 am »

Martin, if you want to believe that a picture of an ambulance zooming down a street is street photography, be my guest. Street photography is photography that shows interesting and often ambiguous interrelationships between people and other people and between people and their environment. This picture doesn't show either thing.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2019, 06:56:30 am »

Russel you are so narrow minded that you can look through a key hole with both eyes simultaneously.

As per my point in my previous post. You seem to be in a massive minority in your definition of street. Most people disagree with you and while that doesn’t appear to bother you this forum isn’t just for you, it’s for all of us. As long as a significant percentage of us are in agreement as to how this sub forum should be used then that is how it will be used. I don’t care for your narrow definition and nor do many other people. So stand on the beach and tell the tide not to come in. You are going to get wet.

RSL

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2019, 07:43:54 am »

You seem to be in a massive minority in your definition of street.

Right, Martin. I'm in a minority who understand what street really is. But you've made clear that that minority is a long way from "massive." Looking at the way you write, I'm not surprised you're confused.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2019, 08:05:40 am »

Right, Martin. I'm in a minority who understand what street really is. But you've made clear that that minority is a long way from "massive." Looking at the way you write, I'm not surprised you're confused.

Ah Russ. A cheap insult. You are good at dishing them out aren’t you? Fortunately for me I consider your insults as unimaginative and dull as everything else you post. Keep trying Russ. You never know, one day you might have an imaginative thought.

RSL

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2019, 08:56:56 am »

Try to avoid a stroke or heart attack, Martin. Breathing into a paper bag may help.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 09:18:19 am by RSL »

stamper

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2019, 09:46:37 am »

Martin, if you want to believe that a picture of an ambulance zooming down a street is street photography, be my guest. Street photography is photography that shows interesting and often ambiguous interrelationships between people and other people and between people and their environment. This picture doesn't show either thing.

Agreed.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2019, 11:12:30 am »

Ah, but it so does.

It is not just "an ambulance zooming down a street." It has something extra than makes the shot: the cross reflection. It also contains the exact moment the ambulance touches the reflection, merging for a split second with it symbolically and symbiotically.

It does contain people and their interaction with the environment.

Just like street photography doesn't need to happen only on the street, people street photography doesn't need to obviously show people, if their presence is palpable. There are people in that ambulance, one of which is in critical condition, and, like most people, turning to God for help, even if metaphorically so. And here we have a cross* (pardon the pun) between two crosses: one symbolizing modern medicine, on a modern vehicle, and the other ancient, symbolizing the eternal belief in divine intervention and ultimate salvation.

This image is so much more about human presence than, for instance, two old guys shooting the breeze, or someone sitting in a cafe window, or colorful socks.

* Or, as OnlyNorth rightly suggests, a cooperation
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 11:39:31 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

RSL

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2019, 11:36:38 am »

It does contain people and their interaction with the environment.

Really, where? Point out the people to me, Slobodan. It's a damn machine zooming down a street. The fact that it's in a street doesn't make this a street photograph. I'm not saying it's a bad photograph. It's a fairly good photograph. But it's a long way from street photography.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2019, 02:21:14 pm »

I shall remind myself more often of this ;)

OnlyNorth

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2019, 03:14:24 pm »

Generally speaking,various photographic genres,as other areas,can not be placed between impenetrable walls.There is more or less diffusion to the rest of the genres.My intention was not to divided You.Everywhere
can be a '' lighthouse keeper '' sometimes being more Catholic than the Pope-in most situation this being a good thing.
Apologizing for the annoyance that I have caused You,thank You all.

RSL

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2019, 03:35:13 pm »

It's not your fault, Only. It's LuLa's fault for continuing to hang on to the Street Showcase category when it only confuses people who are clueless about the genre. Your post would have been on the money in User Critiques. You're right: the walls around any genre are fairly porous, though not this porous.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2019, 03:54:52 pm »

... So stand on the beach and tell the tide not to come in. You are going to get wet.

Well, Florida is a stand-your-ground state  ;)

Ivophoto

A cooperation
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2019, 03:01:06 am »

I shall remind myself more often of this ;)

I did this several times in keeping me away from this discussion. And did not have the time to decently replying this thread.

I like this picture for the reasons Slobodan explains here above.
And I agree with Slobodan’s  view on street photography. I also think magnum’s description is a good contemporary base of orientation.

Maybe Russ can find agreement in speaking about  ‘Classic Street Photography’ when speaking about the narrow definition and accept photography moved on the last 50 years. So much happened since HCB and the other ‘classics’..
Making other choices in taking pictures doesn’t mean peoples are unwilling to learn or understand.
This quixotic crusade is at the point that admiration turns into compassion.

In an article about photography the term ‘in the gamut of the human condition’ was used. I admit it sounds a bit vain or pretentious but it isn’t if you read it humble enough. For me it describes very well how I look to contemporary street photography and the term is far less pretentious than the ignorance of the incoming wave, described by Martin in one of his replies in this thread.

And yes, I would have left Lula because of those hostile and condescending and covered up ad hominem reactions against peoples who put their ‘not complying’ work in this street sub forum. But I learned the majority of members do not agree with this attitude and viewpoint and that’ll keep me here.

Ivo
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 07:40:17 am by Ivophoto »

OnlyNorth

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2019, 05:40:46 am »

I did this several times in keeping me away from this discussion. And did not have the time to decently replying this thread.

I like this picture for the reasons Slobodan explains here above.
And I agree with Slobodan’s  view on street photography. I also I think magnum’s description is a good contemporary base of orientation.

Maybe Russ can find agreement in speaking about  ‘Classic Street Photography’ when speaking about the narrow definition and accept photography moved on the last 50 years. So much happened since HCB and the other ‘classics’..
Making other choices in taking pictures doesn’t mean peoples are unwilling to learn or understand.
This quixotic crusade is at the point that admiration turns into compassion.

In an article about photography the term ‘in the gamut of the human condition’ was used. I admit it sounds a bit vain or pretentious but it isn’t if you read it humble enough. For me it describes very well how I look to contemporary street photography and the term is far less pretentious than the ignorance of the incoming wave, described by Martin in one of his replies in this thread.

And yes, I would have left Lula because of those hostile and condescending and covered up ad hominem reactions against peoples who put their ‘not complying’ work in this street sub forum. But I learned the majority of members do not agree with this attitude and viewpoint and that’ll keep me here.

Ivo
I am glad You changed Your mind!
Thank You.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2019, 12:44:16 pm »

It's not your fault, Only. It's LuLa's fault for continuing to hang on to the Street Showcase category when it only confuses people who are clueless about the genre. Your post would have been on the money in User Critiques. You're right: the walls around any genre are fairly porous, though not this porous.
My personal solution is to think of this thread as "Street (and loosely related) Showcase."   ;)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up