Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad XD1 or Fuji GFX50s  (Read 4125 times)

gkroeger

Re: Hasselblad XD1 or Fuji GFX50s
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 09:34:00 pm »

Yes that is the consensus from what I've read. Heat's the limiting factor in the next step in resolution and the processing of that resolution. GFX100 = Larger body. Panasonic S1R = Larger body.

Of course both the GFX100 and S1R are sporting 4K video... which is what generates lots of heat.  Hasselblad could opt to focus on stills and skip 4K.

Dan Wells

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 11:24:20 pm »

Except that the Panasonic is very similar in resolution and speed to two cameras with much smaller bodies. All things being equal, a denser sensor should run hotter, and a larger sensor of the same density should run hotter. There are probably other differences due to sensor technology - could the Panasonic's technology be less thermally efficent than the latest generation of Sony BSI sensors?

Kirk_C

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 11:58:23 pm »

..could the Panasonic's technology be less thermally efficent than the latest generation of Sony BSI sensors?

Since we don't know who's making the sensor it's hard to say.

I have several friends that are major league cinematographers and they're all talking about Panasonic imaking a serious foray into FF with the emphasis on video. Maybe we'll see 6K at a higher bit rate or 8K from the S1R.

Panasonic is known for very good color that's easy to grade in their mid-level and Pro cinema cameras.

When you think about the L mount alliance it's reasonable to expect Panasonic to be the ones to pursue video over stills. Video is not likely to be the emphasis for Leica and Sigma is talking about a new camera but with a Foveon sensor.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 12:05:02 am by Kirk_C »

Dan Wells

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2019, 12:16:54 am »

That's what I thought they were going to do - but the frame and data rates are similar to the Z7 - good, but nothing groundbreaking... Maybe they'll put fantastic video in it with a firmware update?

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2019, 01:41:32 am »

Isn’t that he plan already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Kirk_C

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2019, 02:23:53 am »

Isn’t that he plan already.

Yes that is the plan. They've stated there will be paid firmware updates but there's little information about what they'll offer.

Let's not forget the elephant in the room. Sony has an A7S III coming, it seems right to assume. So Panasonic releases the S1 and S1R early, talks about future paid updates and protects some potential market share.

Msstudio

• Mark Schäfer Studio
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2019, 02:03:56 am »

If I would be retired and was looking for a versatile (non strobe shooting) and lighter weight body, I would take a hard look a the Nikon Z7. High resolution if needed. Always light, relatively quick (especially compared to the MF category), nice ergonomics, great lenses as they come out. I personally love to use the 35 or 50 and just switch from full frame to crop frame for "different" focal length. And all for a fair'ish price...(on the other hand, I love my X1D, it's like shooting a quick and hand held 4x5 Technika...)

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2019, 11:28:20 pm »

That's what I thought they were going to do - but the frame and data rates are similar to the Z7 - good, but nothing groundbreaking... Maybe they'll put fantastic video in it with a firmware update?

Doesn’t the S1 record 10-bit 4:2:2 internally? That’s a significant benefit, requiring a significantly higher data rate, unless it’s compressed to the point where it loses its advantages.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up