Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera backpack for carryon - flying.  (Read 7560 times)

Aram Hăvărneanu

Re: Camera backpack for carryon - flying.
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2019, 06:37:33 pm »

Security doesn't care if you carry 50 grams or 50 kg, only the airline staff cares, like the check in people.

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2019, 07:28:50 am »

I purchased the PeakDesign 20L Everyday back pack for a one month trip to Australia and New Zealand. I love the flexible dividers that let you easily customize the interior of the bag. The shoulder strap design makes that bag comfortable to wear all day.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

hogloff

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2019, 11:30:04 am »

Custom-made military-style jacket (along the lines of the M65 jacket), with four big bellows-style pockets on the front and a game pocket in the back. Also add in lots of extra pockets, both internal and external, for general utility - after all, it's custom-made. You can do much the same thing in a longer trench coat style, although it will be a bit more conspicuous.

You can easily put an A7r3 or A9 body in each of the lower front pockets. Teleconverters can go in the upper pockets, while you can put a 70-200 or 100-400mm lens in the game pocket. Also put your memory cards and spare batteries somewhere in the jacket. Even carrying all this, the jacket shouldn't look too out-of-place - heavily-loaded, for sure, with full pockets, but not looking over-stuffed to the point of being ridiculous. Take it off as soon as you board the plane and stash it in the overhead space.

Guy in front of me had to empty out his jacket pockets in Vietnam and weighed along with his carry on. If one tries to circumvent the system...just be prepared to live with the consequences and have your gear checked.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2019, 08:32:48 am »

Most of the time I use an early model of the f-stop gear Guru with a small pro ICU unit...carrying a Nikon D8** body and a couple of lenses...for domestic/international travel. I can put another body inside above the ICU plus other gear. Has a laptop sleeve and is extremely well organized and is slightly lighter than the GG Kiboko. The orig. was on "short" side and I have long torso so not the best fit - but that's def. not a deal breaker though. I would recommend it easily. The new Guru UL is black only and the details at link Guru UL
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

NancyP

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2019, 07:04:37 pm »

I have yet to encounter the need to weigh carry-on items, but I would object greatly if I had to empty out my coat pockets and put something through checked luggage because of a 1 kg overweight on carry-on luggage. You'd think a 50 kg human would get by with putting 1 kg in a coat pocket. (My neighbors on flights are often 100 kg and up.) Maybe they see me not having any trouble with managing the pack, and just assume it would weigh less than 8 kg.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2019, 02:35:13 pm »

Probably the best way is to use an ICU and just place it whatever your carry-on is. I used it in a Patagonia 60L duffel and it worked very well. Can even be carried comfortable enough for quite some distance using the shoulder straps.

I also used the same ICU in a couple of backpacks, a 35L designed mostly for scrambling/climbing and one that I would recommend, an REI Trail 40: https://www.rei.com/product/136586/rei-co-op-trail-40-pack-mens
I carried the REI with around 30 lbs of camera stuff, water/food and some clothing for 4-5 miles of significant hiking and it did very well. The cameras were mostly in an ICU and the advantage of this pack is that it has an U-shaped zipper over the entire length that offers very easy access to the ICU without having to pull it out. With less camera gear (easy to do, I had the kitchen sink) I can see it being good enough for a weekend of backpacking.
The size is within carry-on limits by my assessment.

Another option that I ordered but came too late is this Mammut: https://www.rei.com/product/125250/mammut-trion-pro-50-7-pack-mens
It has the theoretical advantage that the U-shaped zipper is on the shoulder strap side; this combined with the very water resistant material means you can put it down when it's wet without getting your shoulder straps wet. It's also bigger but it might be a tighter fit as a carry-on. I think F-stop and others have similar designs with the zippers but they might not be that practical for hiking/backpacking.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2019, 02:57:11 pm »

Probably the best way is to use an ICU...

WTF is ICU?

Aram Hăvărneanu

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2019, 03:12:48 pm »

Internal camera unit.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2019, 03:33:43 pm »

WTF is ICU?

Something like this:

I used a zippered one but the above type can save weight if you have easy access to it.

Lightsmith

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2019, 03:05:12 pm »

I now take two backpacks, one that meets the carry-on luggage regulations and the other that qualifies as a "personal item" and goes under the seat in front of me (Nagano 16L works well as does the old Gura Gear 18L). Different airlines have different carry-on guidelines which is why for international travel to Europe or South America I use American Airlines and would never use United Airline which has been the worst in this respect for more than 30 years of my own business travel.

I will also check for the availability of a premium coach seat as it provides for earlier boarding before the overhead bins are filled up and sometimes provide for more bags.

I have only had my bags weighed on two occasions, a flight from Guam to Truk and a flight from King Salmon to Brooks Camp. If a bag looks heavy and bulky it is more likely to catch the eye of someone at the gate as with a Pelican type hard case.

The under the seat space that is available is hardly ever what the airline restrictions would lead one to believe. Center seats usually, but not always, have the most space, and the aisle seat will have the least amount of space for a "personal item" bag.

DaveL

• http://
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2019, 03:48:04 pm »

I have done a lot of traveling with a ThnkTank Streetwalker backpack. https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/streetwalker-series
Their stuff is incredibley well-made. They also hae a series called Airport that might be worth looking at, but I really prefer the layout and access of the Streetwalker line.

I bought version 1 of the Streetwalker pack some time ago.
I don't use it now.
I should--BUT--how do you carry an ipad in this pack safely? I can't figure it out.

The new versions of the bag are much more expensive than my small pack.

hogloff

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2019, 07:42:04 pm »

I have yet to encounter the need to weigh carry-on items, but I would object greatly if I had to empty out my coat pockets and put something through checked luggage because of a 1 kg overweight on carry-on luggage. You'd think a 50 kg human would get by with putting 1 kg in a coat pocket. (My neighbors on flights are often 100 kg and up.) Maybe they see me not having any trouble with managing the pack, and just assume it would weigh less than 8 kg.

You can object greatly...but in the end you'll probably be forced to check in some of your carry on. Will you be prepared to do so? I've seen enough regulations in foreign countries to plan ahead rather than object greatly as your plane leaves.

NancyP

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2019, 08:34:51 pm »

Yes, I know. Part of it is the joy of sticking it to the Americans, even those who wear buttons "Don't blame me, I didn't vote for the SOB". We Americans are the frenemies of the rest-of-world - ROW has plenty of people who would like to live in the USA, and these same people rightly intuit that the stereotypical Ugly US Americans comprise a significant percentage of all tourist US Americans.

I just tend to get a bit frosted when my 120 kg 1.7 m tall neighbor in Economy billows over to my space barely adequate for 50 kg 1.7 m tall self.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2019, 09:19:13 pm »

If a bag looks heavy and bulky it is more likely to catch the eye of someone at the gate as with a Pelican type hard case.

That's why when I bring a "personal" item that contains cameras, usually my old Kata backpack, I always make a point in carrying it through the ticketing just by one strap and showing no effort, to make it look lighter than it is. With a camera or two and several lenses and a laptop/iPad it frequently goes over the weight limit even if by space it's just fine.

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2019, 09:28:34 pm »

I bought version 1 of the Streetwalker pack some time ago.
I don't use it now.
I should--BUT--how do you carry an ipad in this pack safely? I can't figure it out.

The new versions of the bag are much more expensive than my small pack.

Mine has a zippered slit between the padding doe your back and the camera compartment that will accommodate a laptop and/or iPad. I carried a 17” MacBook Pro there when I still had one. Now I carry a 15” or an iPad or both, depending on the shoot.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

hollywoodstills

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2019, 12:31:08 pm »

This is great question and lots of great responses.  Like most, I've had dozens of bags.  Cinebags, Thinktank, Tenba, and PD and Lowepro. 

After something like a million miles, carrying any bag around international airports with medium format cameras and lenses just plain sucks.  So here's what works for me.  I fly almost exclusively on Delta, except intra-asia and have never had a problem.  Delta allows 1 carry-on and 1 "personal bag" for me, that's a camera bag.   

I have a spinner Briggs and Reilly as my change of clothing/coat/laptop bag.  It also carries a lot of my batteries/charger and hard bulky stuff.  On top of that is my Peak Design 30L.  I bought it from REI because you support a good organization and get rewards in the form of dividends back. 

In it is some Samsung t5 SSD's (and now sandisk ssd) in a tiny pelican, 4 lenses with the largest being the 240mm, and the Phase XF/back, etc.  Sometimes on the bottom of the bag I put a Mavic Pro.  I also have a small bag of cleaning clothes, color chart, a headlamp, and few other tools and things.  I also have an Osprey waterproof raincover.  Maybe they PD came with a raincover, but I can't find it, and this thing works and is good for setting it down anywhere and having a place to work from. 

Now there's three nice features about this PD that I want to say.  One, their inner-bag dividers stick.  They don't go anywhere.  Not that they could because it's so packed, but if it wasn't, it wouldn't.  Secondly the top handle.  You know how some backpacks you really have to stretch to go over the rolling bag, not this one.  It's really good.  Secure but not too snug.  Lastly the dividers aren't super padded, which take up all the room in a bag.  That's really annoying when traveling, and why Cinebags are terrible (they protect stuff, but lose all their room). 

And the spinner bag on the bottom has changed my life.  I can travel with a coffee or my phone happily for miles through airports.  No more broken wrist.  I can run terminal to terminal.  The briggs also expands or can be crunched down using these things on the side, so I take my laptop out and put in overhead even on small domestic commuter flights. 

The PD 30L fits in every single overhead (a little issue if you try to stuff laptop also in there) but with medium format, I think it's the best I've found. 

The other bag that I recently found that may be of use to someone here is the Mindshift Photocross 13.  While i'm not a fan of across the chest situations, it's fairly comfortable when used with waistbelt, I can put the XF with a lens and another lens (including the 240mm) in it.  WITH my 13" macbook pro.  It's heavy, but super compact where the PD isn't.  And it pretty much goes flat and has waterproof zippers and a little sidepocket for a reusable water bottle.

So now, I pack the Mindshift in my main luggage from REI (a "hardcase" spinner...see the trend...airport  checkin with two spinners is the best) and if I just want one lens or just the drone, I can tackle anything and not be lugging around a 30L backpack with one piece of gear. 

I do miss Lowepro and their bag in a bag thing - the roller bag turned backpack.  That's awesome.  Bulky, and heavy, but awesome.  I think Tenba had one (I also bought). 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 01:13:43 pm by hollywoodstills »

hollywoodstills

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2019, 12:36:50 pm »

You can object greatly...but in the end you'll probably be forced to check in some of your carry on. Will you be prepared to do so? I've seen enough regulations in foreign countries to plan ahead rather than object greatly as your plane leaves.

One reason to have a more secure spinner underneath the backpack, it looks super easy and effortless.  Never in a million miles have I had to weigh my carry ons (knock on wood), and if so, I have a small lightweight REI 20L stuff sac bag that I happily through my batteries and things in and throw it in overhead. 

The only caveat is that I believe in London, even in transit, you can only have ONE bag.  Haven't transited through London in while, but I believe that was the case. 

Lightsmith

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2019, 02:14:14 pm »

I have only been weighed twice, once for a flight from Guam to Palau and once for a flight from Katmai to Brooks Camp, and both times in small planes. But I make an effort to minimize the apparent bulk of my carry on items.

Airline personnel usually ignore a shopping bag like those used at the duty free shops and the airline guidelines allow a small laptop or tablet in a sleeve as well as a "personal item" and a piece of carry-on luggage. I realized after hauling a 37 lb. Gura Gear Bataflae 32L backpack on a trip that I needed to divide my gear into two backpacks. So now I use the Bataflae 26L along with the Bataflae 18L backpacks. The 18L qualifies as a personal item as it will fit under the seat in front of me. An alternative to the 18L is the Nagano 16L backpack that qualifies and the backpack itself is quite light at 3.1 lb.

When not able to go on an airline where I have frequent flyer status for early boarding I will pay for a premium coach seat that provides this same benefit. Big difference between being one of the first to board and being one of the last in terms of available space in the overhead bins.

The Bataflae bags have carry handles and the shoulder straps and waist belt can be zippered into a pocket which makes for a slimmer profile and makes the bag much easier to carry through the narrow aisle of an aircraft. The Think Tank Airport Commuter is probably what I would buy today although with an interior length of 16 inches it is too small for a 600mm f/4 lens.

I use a $25 Samsonite folding cart to wheel my backpacks through the airports and it fits on top of my backpack in the overhead bin.

chez

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2019, 07:53:48 pm »

Yes, I know. Part of it is the joy of sticking it to the Americans, even those who wear buttons "Don't blame me, I didn't vote for the SOB". We Americans are the frenemies of the rest-of-world - ROW has plenty of people who would like to live in the USA, and these same people rightly intuit that the stereotypical Ugly US Americans comprise a significant percentage of all tourist US Americans.

I just tend to get a bit frosted when my 120 kg 1.7 m tall neighbor in Economy billows over to my space barely adequate for 50 kg 1.7 m tall self.

I seem to have gotten lost how a carryon limit is "sticking it to the Americans". The limit applies to everyone one...not just Americans. Seems like you have an axe to grind some where's deep.

TommyWeir

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2019, 03:14:27 am »

Can highly recommend the Tenba Shootout 24L backpack.  Very comfortable, good smart design too.  Works within guidelines for carry-on.

https://www.tenba.com/en/collections/shootout
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up