Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera backpack for carryon - flying.  (Read 7561 times)

Alex W

Camera backpack for carryon - flying.
« on: January 30, 2019, 12:10:39 am »

Hi folks,
Looking for some advice for an internationally sized carryon backpack to replace my roller as I'm finally getting weighed enough that its an issue. Doesn't have to be max size, does need to hold a 13" MacBook Pro and D850 bodies ungripped. Ideally I could also use the pack for short hikes so a solid harness and back panel would be great. If there is a waist belt it needs to be detachable as my torso is too long for it to have any effect.

Looking at the ThinkTank Airport Essentials (commuter is too unwieldy) and the new Gura Gear Kiboko 2.0 22L. Happy to take any and all suggestions. Understated and black would be a plus for professional settings. The streetwalker 2.0 would probably be perfect if it took a 13" laptop.

Am I missing any gems?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Camera backpack for carryon - flying.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 12:13:50 am »

Take into account the new rules for carry-ons: 8kg max

stever

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 01:36:42 pm »

aside from flexibility in carrying your gear, it's important that it looks small and light.  I've not had trouble so far with wt limits - they won't weigh you unless it looks big and/or heavy.

hogloff

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 03:07:10 pm »

7kg for internal flights in India and Vietnam...and I had mine weighed.

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 07:42:34 pm »

I've used Gura Gear backpacks for many years now (I only bought a second after my first was stolen in Italy). Always fitted in overhead bins. Excellent quality.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 08:50:06 pm »

... for many years now...Always fitted in overhead bins...

Fitting in overhead bins, unfortunately, is not enough as of March last year. Whether they are going to weigh it or not is a gamble. They did mine.

Aram Hăvărneanu

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 08:54:15 pm »

They weighted mine too. Eight kilograms is a total joke. Their own regulations tell you not to put your camera equipment in your checked bag. What are you supposed to do then?

They are trying to make people pay for (more) checked bags. I'd gladly pay even more to let them keep my carry on bag! But they don't offer such service (unless you fly business class).

Matthew W.

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 02:03:21 am »

I love my Gura Gear Kiboko 30L.  It fits in the overhead bins on the small commuter planes like the CRJ's.  I wasn't aware of the 7kg weight limit.  That will definitely be a problem in the future.

Alaarx

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 03:13:13 am »

How are the Gura Gear bags comfort wise for long days in urban sprawl or 2-3 hour hikes?

Matthew W.

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 03:13:07 pm »

As camera backpacks go, I find the Gura Gear to be comfortable even for short hikes, but it definitely doesn't have any sort of suspension system like a hiking backpack and the majority of the weight is supported by my shoulders.  So within the limits of a backpack that's primarily designed for holding gear and not necessarily for comfort with heavy gear for extended outings, I find the Gura Gear very nice.

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 03:25:40 pm »

I have done a lot of traveling with a ThnkTank Streetwalker backpack. https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/streetwalker-series
Their stuff is incredibley well-made. They also hae a series called Airport that might be worth looking at, but I really prefer the layout and access of the Streetwalker line.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

bassman51

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 04:02:54 pm »

I have the Airport Essentials and found it excellent for transport, less so for walking around.  It does have a detachable waist belt, but it’s quite thin, and the straps and back begin to wear on me after a while.  I’m 5’10” fwiw. 

I wouldn’t enjoy carrying it on any sort of real hike.  I have the F-stop Guru which I love for hiking with photo gear, but it might be too small for your kit if you have any long lenses along with the 850. It worked for me with a D7000 and a DX lens kit while traveling.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

Javier S.

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 07:01:24 pm »

As for me the compromise is to get the lighter bag you can that is comfortable enough for you. That´s why I changed time ago to Gura Gear.

That way you´ll carry more photographic equipment for a given weight.

If you´re somehow overload, try to hang it on one shoulder only and act as if it´s really light for the time of your checking so that they don´t pay much attention on it and, of course, have good luck. If you´re still questioned with the weight what I´ve done is to take out the heviest camera with the heviest lens attached and hang it on my neck, as many tourists Will do and then ask them to weight again the bag. They don´t usually like it but there´s no mention about the size of the camera you have hanging on your shoulder.

If even this doesn´t work, ask someone to holt part of your equipment before the check in and have your bag weighed then. Afterwards, if your bag is not too bulky and you don´t give the impression that is heavy, they usually don´t check it again at the embarking gate, but of course is a question of luck. At the gate they´d probably be more permisive, anyway, to not taking your bag to the bag storage of the plane by hand and you can explaine them that it might get somthing braked.

Anyway those regulations are a real pain but so far I just had real problems in Egipt, many years ago, but I was travelling with 17 Kg of underwater photographic equipment and, at the end I managed to go through.

That´s my experience, and I travel long distance 2 to 4 times a year for the past 40+

Good luck

shadowblade

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 03:56:25 am »

Custom-made military-style jacket (along the lines of the M65 jacket), with four big bellows-style pockets on the front and a game pocket in the back. Also add in lots of extra pockets, both internal and external, for general utility - after all, it's custom-made. You can do much the same thing in a longer trench coat style, although it will be a bit more conspicuous.

You can easily put an A7r3 or A9 body in each of the lower front pockets. Teleconverters can go in the upper pockets, while you can put a 70-200 or 100-400mm lens in the game pocket. Also put your memory cards and spare batteries somewhere in the jacket. Even carrying all this, the jacket shouldn't look too out-of-place - heavily-loaded, for sure, with full pockets, but not looking over-stuffed to the point of being ridiculous. Take it off as soon as you board the plane and stash it in the overhead space.

For the backpack, make sure you get one with a removable camera compartment that can be zipped closed (e.g. Fstop). If the removable compartment doesn't come with a handle, have one attached. When flying, just carry the gear in the removable compartment, like a briefcase - no need to count the extra 1-2kg of backpack towards the weight limit.

Make sure you know the airline rules about 'personal items' and be sure to abuse it - most airlines will let you carry 1-2 items of hand luggage, each weighing 7-10kg (depending on fare class and airline), as well as one 'personal item', which may be a laptop computer, camera or other similar item. For me, that 'personal item' has occasionally been a 500mm f/4 lens...

Filter holders, filters (in a storage case), tripod heads and other heavy, solid metal objects, chargers (without batteries in them), etc. can all go in checked luggage - they may be expensive, but should still come in below the limit for travel insurance.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 09:59:42 am »

“Personal item” is now also limited to 4kg, in addition to size limits.

shadowblade

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2019, 11:38:59 am »

“Personal item” is now also limited to 4kg, in addition to size limits.

Still enough for a supertele lens, especially with the new Canon and Sony models.

t6b9p

• BeyondVisible
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2019, 01:24:55 pm »

A bit of a generic response.

Carry-on rules are designated by airline not TSA.

Carry-on weight for international British Airways is and has been 23kg for both carry-on items. I pretty much always used my Gura Gear Kiboko from way back. It's normally stuffed and heavy but never reaches 23kg. Other airlines can have much more restrictive weight restrictions (that's what jackets with big pockets are for). I tend to put the "backpack" straps aways and carry it by handles when checking in and boarding as it reduces the "appearance" of being bulky. I have actually carried a tape measure with me and measured the BA carry-on size "check" bins at checkin. They are slightly smaller than the dimensions stated as allowable. Get a non-roller bag with max dimensions possible for carry-on (this also varies by airline) and get a low profile colour. Note that the bins sizes can vary between aisle seat and window seat even on the same plane. On most BA international flights to the UK, the Kiboko fits easily into the window bin but is a snug fit in the aisle bin.

Smaller planes and puddle jumpers are a problem, size and weight wise.

Although the Kiboko is not really designed for any extended "walks" with lots of gear, it seems to work for me. I have a back problem that occasionally affects me but fortunately putting on a loaded Kiboko actually "fixes" my back.

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2019, 04:16:38 pm »

Think Tank Photo Shapeshifter , best backpack for airline travel no matter what

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2019, 04:40:37 pm »

A bit of a generic response.

Carry-on rules are designated by airline not TSA...

Thanks for that correction. I flew Turkish airline recently and was under impression it was some sort of new international guideline.

Here is the most recent list I could quickly find about different airlines limits:

https://www.skyscanner.net/news/cabin-luggage-guide-hand-baggage-sizes-and-weight-restrictions

Jim Metzger

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2019, 06:04:45 pm »

I was fortunate to travel to Nepal twice and India in the last year. I took a Peak Design backpack for 2 trips and a Gura Gear Kiboko 30L 1 time. I was way over the weight limit all three times. Flew into 3 different airports for the stop overs; China, Abu Dahbi and Qatar. 3 different airlines. At each check-in I let security know right away I was carrying professional camera equipment. Response varied from "just send it through the-ray" to please open and take out everything. In all cases they thanked me and I was on my way.

Friends had they much smaller bags checked at different times.

Your milage may vary, I believe Security doesn't like when you are trying to pull the wool over their eyes.

Jim
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up