Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Z mount native lenses  (Read 66745 times)

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Re: Z mount native lenses
« Reply #440 on: March 31, 2021, 05:56:37 am »

Thanks for your feedbacks!

I was reluctant to chime in here but anyway. I am an admirer of you photography Bernard. I also took to heart your emphasis and liking of bokeh, even though its not really my thing and not so much my style. To the point that I actually went out and bought the new Sigma 85mm f1,4. Im pleased with it and may add the new Sony 50mm f1,2GM.

However this image under discussion is too far for me. I feel it needs a little more depth of field. My feeling is you are too focussed, funny term in this context, on the rendering of out of focus areas. Its the hole that makes a donut but its not what we actually eat.

Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #441 on: March 31, 2021, 06:24:23 am »

I was reluctant to chime in here but anyway. I am an admirer of you photography Bernard. I also took to heart your emphasis and liking of bokeh, even though its not really my thing and not so much my style. To the point that I actually went out and bought the new Sigma 85mm f1,4. Im pleased with it and may add the new Sony 50mm f1,2GM.

However this image under discussion is too far for me. I feel it needs a little more depth of field. My feeling is you are too focussed, funny term in this context, on the rendering of out of focus areas. Its the hole that makes a donut but its not what we actually eat.

Hi Martin,

Having spent more time than I like to admit using 4x5 cameras of DoF stacking in order to have 100% of pixels in my images in perfect focus, I like to have the means to navigate to the opposite extremes where 99% of the image is significantly away from the plane of sharpness. Call it exploratory if you like.

I can easily understand that this example goes too far for many.

What is remarkable with this lens is the ability to have such a limited DoF and, in my opinion only, a very beautiful rendering while retaining a very high level of technical excellence.

Cheers,
Bernard

armand

• Photos
« Reply #442 on: April 15, 2021, 02:08:52 pm »

Any real world use of the 24-200Z?

I contemplated buying it multiple times, but couldn’t get myself to pull the trigger. As luck has it I managed to scratch the front element on my 24-70 F4 while being in a camera bag on top of a couple EN-EL15b (didn’t have the lens cap on and the hood was reversed, lesson learned).
I’m just not sure the trade offs are worth it, particularly on a higher resolution sensor (I only have the Z7). I was almost set on buying it with Z5 kit.
I’m tempted to wait on the 24-105 first.

Part of my indecision is because I also have a m43 kit with the 12-100 F4; specifically for hiking/backpacking I’m not sure which would be better, a Z5/6/7 with the 24-200 or a E-M1 iii (yet to get) with the 12-100. The sensor on the full frame is unquestionably better but for a bigger DOF the superior stabilization and the handheld high resolution of the Olympus might actually pull ahead. I’ve used the combo with E-M5ii with results worse than I hoped but the E-M1iii is a different animal and the software evolution can compensate much more these days.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #443 on: April 15, 2021, 02:12:15 pm »

Hi Martin,

Having spent more time than I like to admit using 4x5 cameras of DoF stacking in order to have 100% of pixels in my images in perfect focus, I like to have the means to navigate to the opposite extremes where 99% of the image is significantly away from the plane of sharpness. Call it exploratory if you like.

I can easily understand that this example goes too far for many.

What is remarkable with this lens is the ability to have such a limited DoF and, in my opinion only, a very beautiful rendering while retaining a very high level of technical excellence.

Cheers,
Bernard

I’m a sucker for these type of images, still not bored by them. A reason I’m still extensively using my Fuji primes, they can give a run for the money to my Nikon primes, I only have the 50 1.8 and 85 1.8 though. The 85 1.8 is competitive but I wish it would focus closer.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #444 on: May 04, 2021, 06:16:27 pm »

It looks like DxO is waking up and confirming what was already obvious for those having used it: the 85mm f1.8 S is a truly amazing piece of glass.

https://www.dxomark.com/nikon-nikkor-z-85mm-f1-8-s-lens-review-sharp-prime/

But the one thing they are not commenting about is the quality of bokeh which is probably it’s most remarkable quality.

Cheers,
Bernard

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #445 on: May 05, 2021, 08:49:34 am »

It looks like DxO is waking up and confirming what was already obvious for those having used it: the 85mm f1.8 S is a truly amazing piece of glass.

But the one thing they are not commenting about is the quality of bokeh which is probably it’s most remarkable quality.

Cheers,
Bernard

Always difficult to pinpoint all aspects of a lens; but i would like to add that it has good supression of longitudinal chromatic aberrations - clearly less then the Sigma 1.4 85mm art and the images have a more 3d look. 
About Bokeh;Yes i like its bokeh although i find it difficult to describe bokeh as one term - it always depends on the combination of distance between the sharp and unsharp area. Some combinations i can find ugly- others beautiful.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 08:20:07 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Peter McLennan

« Reply #446 on: May 05, 2021, 09:31:11 am »

Any real world use of the 24-200Z?

I've had mine mounted on my Z6ii for a couple of weeks now, and I'm still experimenting with both video and stills use. Bottom line: I love it. I'm a former F-mount 70-200 user in both f4 and f2.8 versions and this lens performs as well or better than both those optics, as well as having much wider range and far lighter weight and size.

Lightweight, sharp, convenient and flexible, I've found that most of its problems are my fault, not the lens. I shoot at f8 most of the time for day exteriors and the Z6 makes high ISO use in other conditions mostly irrelevant.  I did find that AF at  f6.3 and ISO 12,800 was marginally effective in my lightless basement.  :)

Given the much greater exposure of the sensor to the environment, I relish the idea of infrequent lens changes.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #447 on: May 05, 2021, 10:41:25 am »

Thank you, I’ll likely wait a little longer now that I got the Olympus E-M1iii as I can use it with the 12-100 for similar tasks (lightish all in one good quality weather sealed combo).

I hope Tamron will start porting their E mount lenses, the 28-200 looks like a very good competitor to the 24-200. I can miss the 24-28 for a brighter and apparently sharper lens, as for travel you can combine it with Nikon 14-30 F4 or Tamron 17-28 F2.8

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #448 on: May 15, 2021, 09:41:58 am »

Cheers,
Bernard

Another voice in praise of this lens. I started using it last year as a primary interview lens for doc (video) work. I allowed me a bit more distance, which made subjects more comfortable with Covid-19. I find it’s ability to separate a subject from their background (while rendering both beautifully) to be very special.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

John Camp

« Reply #449 on: May 19, 2021, 12:18:45 am »

Cheers,
Bernard

I finally broke down and bought a Z7 II to go with my Z6, and I'm thinking of having my 85 S spot-welded to the camera. I like compact and light, and I like medium telephotos (if Nikon make a high quality 70-105 I'd be all over it.) Because of the way I see, the 85 is perfect for wandering around the narrow streets of Santa Fe. Maybe with the 35 in a side pocket.

Bernard: I very much like the flower photo. If I were to shoot flowers, that's the way I'd probably do it. Flowers should be a feeling, not a poke in the eye.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #450 on: May 20, 2021, 07:49:06 am »

I finally broke down and bought a Z7 II to go with my Z6, and I'm thinking of having my 85 S spot-welded to the camera. I like compact and light, and I like medium telephotos (if Nikon make a high quality 70-105 I'd be all over it.) Because of the way I see, the 85 is perfect for wandering around the narrow streets of Santa Fe. Maybe with the 35 in a side pocket.

Bernard: I very much like the flower photo. If I were to shoot flowers, that's the way I'd probably do it. Flowers should be a feeling, not a poke in the eye.

Thank you John, much appreciated!

And I love the welding idea! :)

Cheers,
Bernard

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #451 on: September 18, 2021, 08:02:23 am »

I continue to be thoroughly impressed with the NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.8 S. Even at fairly close distances such as with the image below the detail and rendering is exceptional.

Latest image from my 'Dark Times' series. 'Fallen Angel', ISO 64, f/8, 1/15 s.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #452 on: September 18, 2021, 08:19:31 am »

Both of the new z series macro lenses continue to impress me, in particular the Z 105 Macro. Here is a recent shot with that lens of a flower of a Night Blooming Cereus.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Peter McLennan

« Reply #453 on: September 18, 2021, 11:20:04 am »

Both of the new z series macro lenses continue to impress me, in particular the Z 105 Macro. Here is a recent shot with that lens of a flower of a Night Blooming Cereus.

Fantastic, Michael.  I can't imagine how many source images.

John R

« Reply #454 on: September 18, 2021, 02:56:25 pm »

I continue to be thoroughly impressed with the NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.8 S. Even at fairly close distances such as with the image below the detail and rendering is exceptional.

Latest image from my 'Dark Times' series. 'Fallen Angel', ISO 64, f/8, 1/15 s.

Superbly ghastly, Keith!

JR
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 09:44:57 am by John R »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #455 on: September 19, 2021, 08:31:57 pm »

+1
could be a still from Predator against Alien
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #456 on: September 20, 2021, 02:18:26 am »

LOL!

Thanks, guys.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #457 on: October 02, 2021, 06:49:28 am »

lenstip tests the nikkor z 70-200mm f2.8

https://www.lenstip.com/index.php?test=obiektywu&test_ob=616

They like it.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #458 on: October 03, 2021, 05:30:00 am »

Lenstip also tested the 50mm's f1.2 from Sony and Nikon.

They preferred the sony for it was sharper, smaller and lighter.. however there is more than measurements.

in the sample photos the difference is clear.

https://www.lenstip.com/609.1-Lens_review-Nikon_Nikkor_Z_50_mm_f_1.2_S_Introduction.html
https://www.lenstip.com/index.html?test=obiektywu&test_ob=601
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #459 on: October 03, 2021, 05:50:53 pm »

lenstip tests the nikkor z 70-200mm f2.8

https://www.lenstip.com/index.php?test=obiektywu&test_ob=616

They like it.

They like it but some comments such “book bokeh for a zoom lens” are surprising.

The bokeh is IMHO clearly superior to that of some of the best primes such as the Otus 85mm 1.4. The reason? There are no visible circular patterns in the bokeh balls.

For a lens this incredibly well corrected (this level of longitudinal CA is unheard of in a zoom lens) it’s amazing but is also amazing in absolute terms.

Surprising also they don’t compare it to the Sony lens this time around…

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25   Go Up