Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Z mount native lenses  (Read 66488 times)

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
Re: Use of Nikon Z6 and Z7 on a safari
« Reply #200 on: September 17, 2019, 08:48:07 pm »

Yes. Most online discussions about AF involve:
1. people with only very limited experience of systems others than their own
2. an idealized view of Sony F performance vs a worst case scenario for Nikon mirrorless

The reality is that both systems have + and -.

Cheers,
Bernard

So true.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Z mount native lenses
« Reply #201 on: September 21, 2019, 11:09:06 pm »

In a fascinating turn of fate, I have just found out that the 24mm f1.8 S was not announced by Nikon in Japan:
- it is not listed on the Nikon image jp web site (https://www.nikon-image.com/products/nikkor/zmount/), it is not available for pre-order anywhere in Japan

On the other hand it is listed on the Nikonusa site: https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/camera-lenses/mirrorless-lenses/index.page

I thought that Nikon marketing couldn't get any worse than they already were, but it looks like they have more potential to disappoint... ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

John Camp

« Reply #202 on: September 23, 2019, 01:57:59 pm »

I was wondering where the Z 70-200 was -- it was supposed to be announced about now -- and when I went looking, I found a rumor on the Nikon rumors site that it will be delayed until first quarter 2020. I don't read that site, so I have no idea how accurate it might be.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #203 on: September 24, 2019, 12:54:20 am »

I was wondering where the Z 70-200 was -- it was supposed to be announced about now -- and when I went looking, I found a rumor on the Nikon rumors site that it will be delayed until first quarter 2020. I don't read that site, so I have no idea how accurate it might be.

There was another rumor after that one showing an updated roadmap where the 70-200mm f2.8 was still shown in 2019 + some recent comments about an announcement end of October.

Rumors obviously.

Cheers,
Bernard

frank.sauer

« Reply #204 on: September 27, 2019, 10:08:12 am »

I am looking into the Nikon Z7 for landscape photography. I don't need a fast lens. I am picky about sharp corners, though.

So here is my question: would the new 24-70 Z-zooms stand up to the task and resolve well across the frame for the 45mp sensor? Would my landscape application benefit from the f/2.8 version even if used at f/8?

armand

• Photos
« Reply #205 on: September 27, 2019, 10:16:18 am »

At F8 the 24-70 F4 is competitive with most lenses out there.

If weight and cost are not a problem the F2.8 zoom will give you more options and, from what I've seen, better flare resistance. Bernard has both so I expect him to chime in.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #206 on: September 27, 2019, 12:18:18 pm »

I am looking into the Nikon Z7 for landscape photography. I don't need a fast lens. I am picky about sharp corners, though.

So here is my question: would the new 24-70 Z-zooms stand up to the task and resolve well across the frame for the 45mp sensor? Would my landscape application benefit from the f/2.8 version even if used at f/8?

My Z 24-70 f4 is sharper than my 28-70 f2.8, wide open and stopped down.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #207 on: September 27, 2019, 05:38:52 pm »

Z7 + 85mm f1.8 S (3rd one is a handheld pano stitch)

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 11:38:37 pm by BernardLanguillier »

johnvanatta

• Website
« Reply #208 on: September 28, 2019, 02:57:40 am »

The extreme corners can have issues on the 24-70/4 at many focal lengths, even stopped down. There can be significant field curvature as well as the usual slight alignment misses. It's not easy to quickly describe since there are so many variables--focal length, aperture, focus distance, sample variation. The 14-30/4 is quite complex to evaluate as well. Definitely field curvature at the long end stopping down. I've tested it as generally better than the 24-70/4 for edge-to-edge landscape shooting, but I imagine most copies (like mine) have a few slightly soft corners throughout the zoom range. It's the reality of zooms and 45+MP sensors.

What's your reference point? "Sharp" means very different things to different people today. If you're comparing against high performance modern primes (Zeiss, Sigma Art, etc) you'll probably find the corners lacking and the complex focus locus of the f4 twins frustrating. That may be true for every midrange zoom available today though...

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #209 on: September 28, 2019, 04:58:37 am »

Nine Lives Lost. Z7, 50mm S, ISO 64, f/1.8 @ 1/30 sec.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #210 on: September 28, 2019, 08:35:59 am »

Nine Lives Lost. Z7, 50mm S, ISO 64, f/1.8 @ 1/30 sec.

Great image.

I am pretty sure he lived the first 8 fully.

Cheers,
Bernard

frank.sauer

« Reply #211 on: September 28, 2019, 08:36:17 am »

Thank you, Armand, Bill, and John. To summarize: the 24-70 f/4 is better than most mid-range zooms. But when it comes to sharp corners even stopped down to f/8, it depends ...

You are asking about my reference, John. I currently use the little Sigma Merrills for landscape, in particular the DP2.  Nicely clean images, good even sharpness across the whole frame. (I stopped using the DP1 as the corners are somewhat weak, at least with my copy).

So if I move to the Z7 to gain a larger shooting envelope, I need lenses that will not make me miss my DP2. A mid-range zoom would be very practical - as long as it does not make me cringe at its corners. From what you say, the 24-70  f/4 version does not seem to be a reliable candidate.

But maybe the 24-70 f/2.8 is. What would you say from your experience, Bernard?

KLaban

« Reply #212 on: September 28, 2019, 08:42:44 am »

Great image.

I am pretty sure he lived the first 8 fully.

Cheers,
Bernard

Thanks Bernard.

As a cat lover, I do hope so.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #213 on: September 28, 2019, 01:26:55 pm »

But maybe the 24-70 f/2.8 is. What would you say from your experience, Bernard?

My copy of the f2.8 is totally outstanding. Although I personally found the f4 very good too except for it’s complex distorsion, the f2.8 has no obvious weak point. As we speak it’s IMHO the best transtandart pro zoom ever released.

I would only shoot with it if the primes weren’t even better.

Cheers,
Bernard

frank.sauer

« Reply #214 on: September 28, 2019, 02:59:12 pm »

Thank you, Bernard. That sounds encouraging.

johnvanatta

• Website
« Reply #215 on: September 28, 2019, 03:53:36 pm »

Here's a test shot I took at 35mm, f8, focused dead center on the pair of trees slightly left of the church. Opened in Capture 1, sharpening amount 150 with .8 radius. Distortion, CA, and vignetting profiles all applied.

The top left is a good corner, the bottom right is one of the poor corners on this copy.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/792u44qvjrm06bt/35mm.jpg?dl=0

I think the 24-70/4 was primarily designed for walkaround performance, compactness, and price. It's a success on all three. In particular, the bokeh is exceptional for a midrange zoom. The point of focus will be quite sharp, particularly stopped down to f5.6. In a strenuous test though, corner-to-corner across the entire frame, it doesn't deliver all the z7 can do.

Note that if you're cropping to 16:9 or 4:3, the extreme corners will be cropped out and gone.

KLaban

« Reply #216 on: September 28, 2019, 04:29:23 pm »

As an aside, I'm not a zoom kind of guy, up until a few weeks ago I'd never even owned one. I've also never been a fan of the unnatural perspective of super-wide prime lenses. That said I'd have killed for a truly compact and lightweight wide zoom in the range 18-24mm that delivered excellent performance. It wouldn't have needed to be fast, I'd be using it for cramped interiors - my Abandoned Lives series - usually in the f5.6 to f11 range.

When I bought into Nikon Z I'd planned to wait for the Nikon 20mm S lens - I'd previously been using the Leica 21mm Super-Elmar ASPH on Leica M, a superb lens - but against my better judgement and being impatient decided to buy the Nikon 14-30mm f/4 S.

I'm still not a super-wide fan, but in the 14-30 have found that truly compact and lightweight 18-24mm wide zoom delivering excellent performance!

Thank you, Nikon.   

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #217 on: September 28, 2019, 10:21:45 pm »

As an aside, I'm not a zoom kind of guy, up until a few weeks ago I'd never even owned one. I've also never been a fan of the unnatural perspective of super-wide prime lenses. That said I'd have killed for a truly compact and lightweight wide zoom in the range 18-24mm that delivered excellent performance. It wouldn't have needed to be fast, I'd be using it for cramped interiors - my Abandoned Lives series - usually in the f5.6 to f11 range.

When I bought into Nikon Z I'd planned to wait for the Nikon 20mm S lens - I'd previously been using the Leica 21mm Super-Elmar ASPH on Leica M, a superb lens - but against my better judgement and being impatient decided to buy the Nikon 14-30mm f/4 S.

I'm still not a super-wide fan, but in the 14-30 have found that truly compact and lightweight 18-24mm wide zoom delivering excellent performance!

Thank you, Nikon.

I’d second this. For the price and size, the 14-30 is outstanding.

Additionally, for video use on the Z7 in ASPC/Super 35 mode, it stands up to any wide angle zoom I’ve ever used.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

frank.sauer

« Reply #218 on: September 28, 2019, 11:01:08 pm »

Here's a test shot I took at 35mm, f8, focused dead center on the pair of trees slightly left of the church. Opened in Capture 1, sharpening amount 150 with .8 radius. Distortion, CA, and vignetting profiles all applied.

The top left is a good corner, the bottom right is one of the poor corners on this copy.

I think the 24-70/4 was primarily designed for walkaround performance, compactness, and price. It's a success on all three. In particular, the bokeh is exceptional for a midrange zoom. The point of focus will be quite sharp, particularly stopped down to f5.6. In a strenuous test though, corner-to-corner across the entire frame, it doesn't deliver all the z7 can do.

Note that if you're cropping to 16:9 or 4:3, the extreme corners will be cropped out and gone.

Thank you, John. That was very helpful! For my photography, the lower right corner would be of concern.

John Camp

« Reply #219 on: September 28, 2019, 11:35:44 pm »

Run it one time through Topaz Labs' Sharpen AI.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25   Go Up