Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Some more Sarah Moon  (Read 2463 times)

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Some more Sarah Moon
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 01:21:57 pm »

Rather disappointing, both from the model and photography perspective. Actually, quite ugly.

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 02:46:21 pm »

Impressionism (pictorialism?) returns! One of the majors, I forget who (LV? YSL?) has been doing these completely mad out of focus things for maybe the last year. I approve conceptually but will note that I haven't bought any of their clothes recently.

Not sure why we can't have impressionism with beautiful light, though. This trendlet seems relentlessly dark.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 03:15:01 pm »

Impressionism (pictorialism?) returns! One of the majors, I forget who (LV? YSL?) has been doing these completely mad out of focus things for maybe the last year. I approve conceptually but will note that I haven't bought any of their clothes recently.

Not sure why we can't have impressionism with beautiful light, though. This trendlet seems relentlessly dark.

Much of her oeuvre is dark, in the sense of low lighting levels.

Not so much OOF as double image in parts; where she/client wants, the product is perfectly crisp. Look at the detail...

I believe this effect (double edges) first came to the fore from experiments shooting images where parts of the subject were caught on the edges of those old, very ornate mirrors with the thick glass bevelled next to the frames; there's one such behind me as I write. The front door to Pollok House (Glasgow) used to have such glass, and I took advantage of it in my first Barbour Threads calendar shoot.

I made the same effect, but softer, to the right side of the central, blurred, mannequin's face. It's a common device which appeals to me as well as to Ms Moon.

Don't ignore the brief: it's for jewellery, not frocks.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 03:18:23 pm »

Rather disappointing, both from the model and photography perspective. Actually, quite ugly.

Slobodan, stop looking at your shoes!

:-)

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 11:02:37 am »

Yeah, I noticed that the jewelry, while subtle, was Distinctly Present ;)

I love an impressionistic look for fashion, it seems completely appropriate. Who cares about the stitching, the details? The whole point of a $2000 blouse is how it makes you feel.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 11:12:27 am »

I have no idea how a $2000 blouse would make me feel. Uncomfortable I suppose. Never worn a blouse. I’m more a T-shirt kind of guy.

I think it’s exceptionally good commercial work Rob.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 12:23:01 pm »

That Keira Knightley bone structure puts me in mind of Klimt or Schiele.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 12:26:19 pm by KLaban »

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 01:18:55 pm »

I would suspect that a $2000 blouse would make anyone feel pretty...;~)

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 02:13:26 pm »

That Keira Knightley bone structure puts me in mind of Klimt or Schiele.

Dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones...

They are what make beautiful faces, as you obviously have known since you began thinking about art and beauty. Many a movie beauty had great bones that supported the flesh and skin as it did, and why even old ladies who were blessed with those bones and ravishingly beautiful when young, still have a look others can't equal, wrinkles notwithstanding. The lottery ain't nothin' new!

There's quite a group of models with that bone structure; a lot seems to originate from eastern Europe. I used to hear it referred to as Slavonic...

KLaban

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 02:16:20 pm »

Dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones...

They are what make beautiful faces, as you obviously have known since you began thinking about art and beauty. Many a movie beauty had great bones that supported the flesh and skin as it did, and why even old ladies who were blessed with those bones and ravishingly beautiful when young, still have a look others can't equal, wrinkles notwithstanding. The lottery ain't nothin' new!

There's quite a group of models with that bone structure; a lot seems to originate from eastern Europe. I used to hear it referred to as Slavonic...

Countess Vera von Lehndorff-Steinort springs to mind.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 02:29:13 pm »

... agh ere's quite a group of models with that bone structure; a lot seems to originate from eastern Europe. I used to hear it referred to as Slavonic...

How’s this for Slavonic?

bcooter

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 03:26:40 pm »

When I think  of her, it's almost always in tandem with Franco Rubartelli; dream team to match the Shrimp/Bailey axis!

I'm glad you like her Rob but for this campaign and even her personal work I disagree.   I see , well I guess I shouldn't say it, but I don't find it tasteful, artistic or talented.

For the advertising campaign you showed they used the wrong person.    https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=SHEILA+METZNER+fashion+photos&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

She tried to copy sheila Metzner and you'll have to do a deep search to find all of her fashion, but when I started, her work just astonished me and also she knows what a light is, or where the hell light comes from.

IMO

BC

Telecaster

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 03:44:08 pm »

Can't say I like this particular series much, and Ms. Knightley isn't my type at all, but I don't mind seeing something different to the norm. (Or maybe it is the norm, and I just haven't been paying attention!)

-Dave-

KLaban

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2019, 03:55:09 pm »

I'm glad you like her Rob but for this campaign and even her personal work I disagree.   I see , well I guess I shouldn't say it, but I don't find it tasteful, artistic or talented.

For the advertising campaign you showed they used the wrong person.    https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=SHEILA+METZNER+fashion+photos&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

She tried to copy sheila Metzner and you'll have to do a deep search to find all of her fashion, but when I started, her work just astonished me and also she knows what a light is, or where the hell light comes from.

IMO

BC

More Klimt and Schiele.

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2019, 05:30:42 pm »

IMO

BC

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=123243.msg1027477#msg1027477

I've been fond of the Metzner oeuvre for quite a while, and the above link I supplied some time ago, is to her work. I find both of them Moon and Metzner, share a similar sensibility, and even Deborah Turbeville crosses into similar emotional situations...

I think that what probably links them is their female romanticism, which doesn't really appear as frequently as one might think with female shooters, many of whom strike me as trying to out man the men, in a way, by being a bit tough or harsh? Ellen von Unwerth comes to mind here. I think Annie L is also a bit hardish in her treatments. There's no doubt that women can be every bit as "obvious" in the way they handle sex appeal in fashion. I don't think they are always either more delicate, subtle or gentle in approach.

I don't think she's copying anybody at all. She (Moon), has her style and has stuck pretty much to it from the 70s, I'd guess. In the final analysis, the clients are very aware of all of these photographers - the living ones - and I suppose they know pretty well what they are buying into before they offer the gig. You never know: maybe the talent at this level also has quite a big say in the person she's willing to allow photograph her - she has much to lose, too. Obviously, I don't know anything about the actual situation, these are just my guesses.

Rob

jeremyrh

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 03:39:41 am »

Well, mate, I wouldn't climb over her to get to you :-)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2019, 10:43:37 am »

Well, mate, I wouldn't climb over her to get to you :-)

Not sure what that means (the first response after googling the phrase was: “Warning Signs That Your Partner Is Getting Into Rock Climbing, and How to Cope”  ;D ), but to clarify: I didn’t mean Keira is ugly, god forbid, just that the particular series is not doing her justice.

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2019, 11:04:48 am »

Not sure what that means (the first response after googling the phrase was: “Warning Signs That Your Partner Is Getting Into Rock Climbing, and How to Cope”  ;D ), but to clarify: I didn’t mean Keira is ugly, god forbid, just that the particular series is not doing her justice.

And so there you go: I thought she'd never looked better!

Rob
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up