Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Z 6 & Z 7 Comments and Issues  (Read 53361 times)

Rob C

Re: Nikon Z 6 & Z 7 Comments and Issues
« Reply #320 on: January 03, 2020, 02:45:27 pm »

I have a reverse camera on my vehicle. Been working without trouble for 8 years. I actually transferred it from a previous vehicle. It’s 10 years old. Works perfectly.

That could be interesting, Martin. Can you identify a brand or model? Is it wirelessly connected from lights to screen?

Rob

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #321 on: January 03, 2020, 02:49:18 pm »

It’s a tiny thing mounted into the rear bumper and runs with a cable to a small screen where the rear view mirror would normally mount. It’s always on. I drive what we call a bakkie, a pickup in American. It has a solid canopy on the back so mirrors don’t work. No idea of brand.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Rob C

« Reply #322 on: January 03, 2020, 02:58:12 pm »

Strange you should say that, Rob, my current camera is the only one I've ever felt truly comfortable using on-the-fly.

That's good news - you might find yourself exploring more deeply into different fields of photography from which you could find a satisfying experience beyond the norm.

Best of luck with it!

Rob C

« Reply #323 on: January 03, 2020, 03:01:25 pm »

You should try sitting in an E-Type!

The original XK-E was around £ 2,250 when my budget was circa £ 600. Rob's bum and Jag seat never made contact. As remote as a Caveman today.

:-(

BJL

Nikon Z 6 & Z 7 ... or "why less is sometimes just less"
« Reply #324 on: January 03, 2020, 05:36:53 pm »

... I've recently switched - with much trepidation - from one of  the most simplistic digital cameras to one of the most complex feature laden cameras on the market. There are features that I never realised existed, features that I'll never use, features that I never thought I'd have a use for until I had them as well as features I would have killed for.

These feature laden cameras could be seen as bespoke cameras for all, being relatively easy to set up to suit the individual.
Agreed! What I ask for is a modest collection of well designed dials and buttons for the most common controls, and then any number of programmable buttons and knobs for the rest, so that I can configure acmes to the one or two exotic features that I am likely to use. For example I have buttons to activate zooming while manual focusing and also activating auto focus one I manual mode and none for video recording; I am sure that the great majority of users would make completely different choices.

One Olympus DSLR (E-1 Mk II?) had a system with just a couple of dials, which acted on numerous less common controls by holding down an appropriate button while rotating it; that sounded good, though I ever got to try it.

Agreed with these economies-of-scale realities too:
These feature laden cameras ... are also relatively inexpensive when compared to the simplistic small run cameras I was using and the lenses are a mere fraction of the cost.

Feature laden cameras sell and sell well, they are particularly suited to the volume producers.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #325 on: January 07, 2020, 02:03:18 am »

We have a 70-200mm f2.8.

All signs indicate it should be a new benchmark in zoom lens optical quality.

Fortunately they have kept the zoom ring near the front of the lens and well away from the body. This really helps tremendously with lens stability in operation.

Cheers,
Bernard

jeremyrh

« Reply #326 on: January 07, 2020, 03:55:30 am »

We have a 70-200mm f2.8.

Fortunately they have kept the zoom ring near the front of the lens and well away from the body. This really helps tremendously with lens stability in operation.

Cheers,
Bernard

It is listed as being 1360 g, which is only about 100g more than the 70-200 f/4 + FTZ, so roughly comparable weight for (I imagine) significantly better performance!

Pre-ordered :-)  I think I will finally sell my F-mount system.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #327 on: January 07, 2020, 04:49:20 am »

We have a 70-200mm f2.8.

Cheers,
Bernard

I’m sure it’s will be fantastic.

You have brought up this thing about zoom ring position before Bernard. Do you prefer the zoom ring to be in front of the focus ring? So camera, focus ring then zoom ring. I much prefer it the other other way round. I really dislike the zoom ring closest to the front of the lens. The 200 to 600 is like that and it’s the one thing on the lens I’m not fond of. All my other lenses are the other way around. Personal preferences can be odd.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #328 on: January 07, 2020, 04:56:41 am »

I’m sure it’s will be fantastic.

You have brought up this thing about zoom ring position before Bernard. Do you prefer the zoom ring to be in front of the focus ring? So camera, focus ring then zoom ring. I much prefer it the other other way round. I really dislike the zoom ring closest to the front of the lens. The 200 to 600 is like that and it’s the one thing on the lens I’m not fond of. All my other lenses are the other way around. Personal preferences can be odd.

I never ever use the focus ring on my 70-200mm f2.8 frankly speaking.

The only ring I use is the zoom ring, and it's basic physics, confirmed by experience, that you have a more stable lens handling with the support point (your hand on the ring) is further away from the camera. This is simply the result of the absolute shaking movement of your hand having a lower angular impact, which reduces the work needed by the VR system and therefore expands the shooting enveloppe.

This is therefore not really a question of preference (although I do understand that there may be a preference) but an objective thing that the Nikon solution is better for the 70-200mm f2.8.

Now, there may be longer lenses where the zoom ring in front may be too far from the body for comfortable shooting (the 200-600 may be that way) but that's a different topic really. Sony took the right decision in terms of stability but may have messed up the ergonomics in the process.

The rule should be, locate the ring you used most often (I think 99% of photographers would agree it's the zoom ring) as far as possible away from the body as long as it's not too far to be comfortable.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 05:14:37 am by BernardLanguillier »

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #329 on: January 07, 2020, 06:29:02 am »

I would have thought physics would say as close the point of balance as possible. My 70 to 200 the zoom ring is on the inside of the focus ring and it’s very close to the point of balance. All the shorter lenses I Cup the camera under my left hand which means I can access the zoom ring with the fingers of that hand as the zoom ring is on the inside and close to the camera body. It is also the point of balance on the camera.

The only lens with the zoom ring on the outside is the 200 to 600. I think your point about stability is well made actually, I never really  though about it, I was just annoyed at the inconsistency between it and all the other lenses.

Thanks for your reply.

BJL

« Reply #330 on: January 07, 2020, 11:50:49 am »

Interesting physics discussion here! It seems that Bernard is in the two handed support and balance school—right on grip, left on a lens control ring—while Martin is in the “support with left hand, leaving right free to move around the controls” camp. I’m in the latter, but none of my lenses are this heavy, so I won’t take sides

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #331 on: January 07, 2020, 01:19:03 pm »

Interesting physics discussion here! It seems that Bernard is in the two handed support and balance school—right on grip, left on a lens control ring—while Martin is in the “support with left hand, leaving right free to move around the controls” camp. I’m in the latter, but none of my lenses are this heavy, so I won’t take sides

I think you are correct in this. It’s the way I hold the camera. In the old days my method was a distinct advantage leaving a hand relatively free to advance the film. Perhaps I should look at changing. I will give it a try, although I’m happy with my steadiness. It could be why I find the Sony so intuitive. Just about nothing going on the left side of the camera. I like that.

Anyway back on topic. I have been looking at reviews of the new Nikon 70 to 200. Looks really lovely. Compact as well. Does it extend with either focussing or zooming? Its quite compact it seems. 

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #332 on: January 07, 2020, 03:25:39 pm »

Indeed. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

armand

• Photos
« Reply #333 on: January 20, 2020, 03:08:53 pm »

After more use with clumsier gloves and tighter bags I think the next Z has to have a lock for the card door. It's just to easy to accidentally open it. I think the main reason it's so easy is because the thumb rest is on it, it's easier to catch on things.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #335 on: February 18, 2020, 07:02:20 pm »

New firmware is up

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/352.html
https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/353.html

The AF seems significantly improved across the board.

My initial tests with the 85mm f1.8 seem to indicate that the Z6 is now probably superior to the a7rIV, but still a bit behind the a9II.

I’ll continue to play with it with different lenses.

Tracking of eye is really excellent when the subject is at least 3/4 facing the camera. A lot less accurate when shot more from the side with only one eye visible, or the second one hardly visible. The a9II is clearly better in such cases.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 12:01:46 am by BernardLanguillier »

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #336 on: February 21, 2020, 01:28:35 am »

Animal eye AF added. Seems like a significant upgrade. Impressive when companies continue to roll out firmware upgrades for existing cameras.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #337 on: February 21, 2020, 03:35:48 am »

I've yet to test animal eye detect but firmware 3.0 delivers much improved human eye/face detect even in low light: impressive. Good to have the option now to use Fn1 or 2 to switch between modes.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #338 on: February 21, 2020, 05:42:28 am »

I have seen a few reviews where people are quite scathing about the usefulness of animal eye AF. For me it is a very useful feature. Turns out I photograph more animals than I realised. Owls, cats, dogs, sheep and all sorts of stuff.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #339 on: February 23, 2020, 06:21:37 pm »

A great video highlighting how important firmware 3.0 is for the Z6 and Z7 in terms of AF performance and UI:

https://youtu.be/SxXvNBZLLYU

This UI is really great and probably superior to the Sony solution since there is no need to jump to a dedicated tracking mode to access it.

Comparing the Z6/Z7 today to where it initially was AF wise is very impressive. I think that the gap is significantly larger than what we used to see between generations of high end DSLRs. The AF of the Zs was never as poor as some reported, but it’s still a huge improvement.

I am not able to compare my Zs to the D850 since I don’t have one anymore, but I feel that it’s close to a draw overall, if not a win for the mirrorless bodies.

I am looking forward to the Z9, with faster dedicated hardware Nikon should be able to come up something very very special AF wise.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 07:06:20 am by BernardLanguillier »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Up