Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Z 6 & Z 7 Comments and Issues  (Read 53346 times)

jeremyrh

Re: Nikon Z 6 & Z 7 Comments and Issues
« Reply #120 on: May 13, 2019, 01:23:22 am »

When was the last time you tried SnapBridge? The latest version connects reliably via BT (Z 7). The connection via WiFi (for remote) is straightforward if already connected via BT.

Last week, just to check before downloading Cascable. Refused to find my camera.  Not too big of a deal sitting in my lounge, but a pain if you're out in the field somewhere.

jeremyrh

« Reply #121 on: May 13, 2019, 01:26:03 am »

The question is when CF Express compatibility is implemented are users going to continue to purchase XQD cards, which are slower and more expensive.

Presumably not, which is what Sony richly deserve, having gouged XQD purchasers for the last 2 years!

John Camp

« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2019, 12:48:21 pm »

About CF and XQD...in terms of practical operating speeds, it doesn't seem to me that there will be much difference except at the extremes. And as far as cost is concerned, compared to all the other pieces of the system, it doesn't seem to be a significant factor. I agree that XQD prices seem a little out of line with other cards (too high.)

Dan Wells

« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2019, 12:48:45 pm »

Unfortunately, CFExpress will probably require new readers (for the most part - there are a couple of odd ways that some might work). The good news is that, without the Sony monopoly, readers probably won't be as expensive (and, eventually, may show up built into other things, whether computers, docking stations, portable storage or simply multi-format readers).

There are actually three different devices that one might call an "XQD reader", and I'm not sure whether all will be incompatible with CFExpress. One is a true XQD reader - it connects to the PCIe bus on the card like the camera does, and it has a bridge chip from PCIe to USB (or potentially something else - but every reader I've seen is some flavor of USB 3.x). The second is a remarkably simple device, but it relies on some other form of PCIe bus being available. There is a Sony adapter from XQD to ExpressCard/SxS that simply connects the appropriate pins directly on the PCIe bus since both XQD and ExpressCard are actually PCIe - all it's doing is adapting the form factor. It should be possible (but I've never seen one) to make a simple adapter like this for XQD or CFExpress to Thunderbolt as well... The third variety is "USB adapters". Some XQD cards, but not all (for whatever reason) use some extra pins for a USB signal. A USB adapter connects to those pins and bypasses the PCIe signal entirely - it's just passing USB.

A true reader that is converting XQD to USB (or whatever else) would have some sort of firmware in it that would need to recognize what flavor of PCIe it was dealing with. Most card readers have that in a permanent ROM - it would be impossible to reprogram for the slightly different requirements of CFExpress without changing the chip. A CFExpress card reader could be built to know about both, or there could be some weird XQD reader out there that is firmware upgradeable.

PCIe adapters should work, at least in theory - we know the PCIe pinout is the same - that's why cameras are firmware upgradeable. Something that is simply extending those wires has no reason not to work unless it messes up timings or the like.

USB adapters should work IF CFExpress cards have the built-in USB "port" on them, AND it's on the same pins as it is on the XQD cards that have it. I don't know if either of those things is true.

In the end, anything with both an XQD and a SD slot (or pretty much any other second slot) on it is a true reader, and won't work unless it is firmware upgradeable. Something cheaper and single-slot that calls itself a "USB adapter" may well just be connecting to the USB port on some XQD cards, and could work if CFExpress has a USB port in the same place. An ExpressCard slot adapter (or anything else that's direct PCIe to PCIe) should work in theory.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2019, 02:26:45 am »

Firmware 2.0 has been released and my first tests with the 24-70 f2.8 S are very encouraging. I have configured the lens to use the lens Fct button to be able to desactivate eye AF.

More tests will be needed to confirm the details and possible limitations. But as of now it looks like we have a very good eye-AF implementation for the Z as well as 1 to 1.5 stop more sensitive low light focusing ability.

Cheers,
Bernard

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2019, 03:48:59 am »

I can't seem to get the firmware update to install.

I downloaded the "W" Windows version and unzipped it. I then copied the .bin file to a XQD card that I formatted in-camera. It says it is "33,019 KB"

I put the card in the camera and in SETUP, chose Firmware. But only the version 1.00 is shown. There is no second version. I have tried this many times. Any idea what the problem might be. I have a full battery.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

jeremyrh

« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2019, 03:58:04 am »

Firmware 2.0 has been released and my first tests with the 24-70 f2.8 S are very encouraging. I have configured the lens to use the lens Fct button to be able to desactivate eye AF.

Thanks Bernard - looks like a good idea.  Does Eye-AF work the same with back-button focus?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2019, 06:02:54 am »

I can't seem to get the firmware update to install.

I downloaded the "W" Windows version and unzipped it. I then copied the .bin file to a XQD card that I formatted in-camera. It says it is "33,019 KB"

I put the card in the camera and in SETUP, chose Firmware. But only the version 1.00 is shown. There is no second version. I have tried this many times. Any idea what the problem might be. I have a full battery.

From the top of my head, you had to click on "firmware update"?

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2019, 06:16:57 am »

Thanks Bernard - looks like a good idea.  Does Eye-AF work the same with back-button focus?

Eye-AF works in the same way as face detection till now, meaning in auto mode.

Cheers,
Bernard

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2019, 06:42:25 am »

I found out WHY the firmware update will not work.

You have to use the "b" battery that comes with the Z7, not the earlier "a" battery. PLEASE NOTE. Nikon EN-EL15b

Others have used the "a" battery successfully.

The "a" battery was charged, but perhaps it was slightly off and since it is less powerful to begin with, the Z7 did not accept it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 09:13:31 am by Michael Erlewine »
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

jeremyrh

« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2019, 08:17:51 am »

You have to use the "b" battery that comes with the Z7, not the earlier "a" battery. PLEASE NOTE. Nikon EN-EL15b

Wow!  Wondering how on earth you managed to diagnose that? !!!

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2019, 08:18:23 am »

That is confusing! - good you found out the problem.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2019, 09:07:26 am »

I also made the mistake of trying to use a EN EL15a from my D800 as a backup but the Z7 doesn't like it.

jeremyrh

« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2019, 10:00:22 am »

I also made the mistake of trying to use a EN EL15a from my D800 as a backup but the Z7 doesn't like it.
Really? What didn't work?  I think I have used the 15a and also the 15 ....

Dan Wells

« Reply #134 on: May 16, 2019, 01:11:24 pm »

If it's sensitive to the state of charge of the battery, an "a" battery, especially an older one, could never put out enough to pass the updater's checks. Firmware updaters are often very strict about batteries, not so much because they take a huge amount of power as because the consequence of running out might be a bricked camera that has to go to the repair shop.

John Camp

« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2019, 02:07:38 pm »

The above is one of the most useful information sequences I've encountered recently on photo forums, especially since I have a bunch of earlier batteries.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2019, 02:40:19 pm »

While Nikon has taken great measures to assure the high quality expected of Nikon products, it has come to our attention that the vibration reduction (VR) feature in some Nikon Z 6 and Z 7 cameras may not function fully.

technical service advisory Z6 & Z7

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2019, 05:00:31 pm »

Did a test last night with the 105mm f1.4 at f1.4 on the Z7 in a darkish room, worst color balance of the house (around 1500K), ISO 5,000, eyes in the shadows, AF-C auto mode, near minimal focusing distance of the lens (DoF is probably around 2-3mm), her moving a bit -> 60% of images were perfectly focused on the iris, 20% was on the eye lash, 20% was a bit out of focus.

As far as I am concerned these are the worst conditions I would ever want to use the lens in and this rate of success is way higher than what I would have gotten with normal AF or MF... on the D5.

I did other tests in the same conditions about 2m away from the subject and 100% were in perfect focus.

This upgrade is simply game changing.

Now I have continued to test and have come across one case where initial face acquisition was a challenge in a strongly backlit situation. I had to guide the camera by positioning the tracking box on top of the face. Other tests in similar conditions didn’t generate the same problem.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 05:48:02 pm by BernardLanguillier »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2019, 09:49:00 pm »

While Nikon has taken great measures to assure the high quality expected of Nikon products, it has come to our attention that the vibration reduction (VR) feature in some Nikon Z 6 and Z 7 cameras may not function fully.

technical service advisory Z6 & Z7

I was going to post this too, mine is affected.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2019, 07:29:32 am »

Photography Life has a Frimware wishlist;

One of the things is very basic ; an uncluttered OVF-view - only the image without information.
Don't understand why Nikon has not implemented it...

https://photographylife.com/nikon-z7-firmware-update-wishlist
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19   Go Up