Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cell Phone: Using a 3rd party company vs Verizon, ATT, T mobile etc?  (Read 3529 times)

kevs

I pay about $70 / mo.. 2GB (which is ok for now) and basic international with Verizon Wireless.

Always trying to trim expenses, a friend, and local biz nearby mention PagePlus- which is 1/2 price and supposedly. they use Verizon carriers. My friend loves them.

But they don't have real English speakers, and it's pre pay etc.. hence, I worry about customer service and this is a business for me, not hobby phone. Any opinions on this?

Not like I need customer serive that much but.. never know... Play it safe and stay with VErizon..?
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Cell Phone: Using a 3rd party company vs Verizon, ATT, T mobile etc?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 04:51:25 pm »

I switched from Verizon to Consumer Cellular a while back. They are "3rd party," in that they do not have their own towers and network. They get top ratings for customer service. My bill was cut in half. Worth a look, I think.

kevs

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 04:54:35 pm »

Peter use with client/ all your business?

I actually like the fact page plus, supposedly uses Verizon towers, but service is all bad english etc. That is concern: service in a crises.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 05:01:15 pm »

I switched from Verizon to Xfinity which has a $12 per gig (unlimited data for $45) per month, and uses the same Verizon network. Plus there are thousands of Xfinity hot spots that are free. So far, I'm saving a lot of money and haven't noticed any issues with the network. But you do have to be a current Xfinity internet/cable subscriber.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

kevs

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 02:03:11 am »

THANKS Andrew. Oh I cut the cable 4 years ago, so that wont work then. Being it's tied to a major cable company you might get better phone support that the 3rd party pre-paid places like PagePlus.

tcphoto1

• http://www.tonyclarkphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 08:48:53 am »

Once my iPhone was off contract about four years ago, I switched to AT&T prepaid. The bill was cut in half, I continue to rollover unused data and I use the same network. I believe that Verizon has a similar prepaid plan, I looked at it for a family member.

Aram Hăvărneanu

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 11:02:44 am »

In general with MVNOs, you lose domestic data roaming, and international roaming is expensive/non existent. Whether that is important to you or not, only you can answer.

Ting is a MVNO that prouds itself on having US-based support with no waiting (not offshore), and a business model that doesn't try to screw over their customers (crazy, right). I can attest to both of that.

Ting uses T-mobile's OR Sprint's networks. But only one at a time, you need to chose for each number. Unlike other MVNOs they don't throttle you nor they limit you in any way in regards to tethering or whatever you want to do.

They are not a cheap MVNO, there are others far cheaper if you use a lot of data. But I still prefer them. However, they will still be cheaper than Verizon.

Go to their website, there's a calculator that tells you how much you'll pay. You can have any number of devices (phones, tablets) on the same account, the minutes, data, etc pool together and you'll only pay once. You pay exactly what you use, there are no "plans", etc, but it's postpaid, not prepaid (huge plus to me).
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:08:52 am by Aram Hăvărneanu »

kevs

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 06:33:37 pm »

Thanks TC, is customer support same? Prepaid more hassle? Currently I don't lift a finger, just autocharges my credit card every month.

Checked Tiny: their rates are not too much lower than Verizon itself...

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 10:16:27 pm »

If you're a Comcast customer, they have some deal that links usage through Verizon at much lower prices.  Check into it. 

Also, Verizon gives you a 15% discount on the data portion of the bill if you served in the US armed forces. 

kevs

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 10:39:04 pm »

Any discounts if you cut the cord and just use You Tube?

tcphoto1

• http://www.tonyclarkphoto.com
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 08:30:06 am »

I’ve seen absolutely no difference between regular AT&T and prepaid. I receive a couple texts about the upcoming charge on my credit card and then when it posts, they offer a $5 discount for auto payment.

dbolt

• Photos by Doug Bolt
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 09:37:29 am »

I switched from Verizon to Ting and cut my cost more than a half.  I have 4 cells and use 2-3 g of data per month.  My bill is $65-75.  Their customer support is the best I've encountered, bar none.  Their reps spent several three-way phone conversations over a one month period with me trying to get Verizon to release my landline number to a SIM so I could keep my landline number when I moved.  They never complained and always answered their support line with a human who frequently spoke my name before they gave me theirs.

In general with MVNOs, you lose domestic data roaming, and international roaming is expensive/non existent. Whether that is important to you or not, only you can answer.

Ting is a MVNO that prouds itself on having US-based support with no waiting (not offshore), and a business model that doesn't try to screw over their customers (crazy, right). I can attest to both of that.

Ting uses T-mobile's OR Sprint's networks. But only one at a time, you need to chose for each number. Unlike other MVNOs they don't throttle you nor they limit you in any way in regards to tethering or whatever you want to do.

They are not a cheap MVNO, there are others far cheaper if you use a lot of data. But I still prefer them. However, they will still be cheaper than Verizon.

Go to their website, there's a calculator that tells you how much you'll pay. You can have any number of devices (phones, tablets) on the same account, the minutes, data, etc pool together and you'll only pay once. You pay exactly what you use, there are no "plans", etc, but it's postpaid, not prepaid (huge plus to me).
Doug Bolt
http:\\dougboltphotography.com

kevs

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 01:58:33 pm »

D I went on Tings site and their prices were not much different from Verizon, did I miss something?

One cell phone Ting..? for 2, or 3 gig

What servers using?  Are you in major city, use phone for business?

kevs

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 09:28:01 pm »

Walked into Verizon wireless today. They have their own prepaid plan which I never knew about, (and they don't tell you about), so I've been overpaying $270/ yr for 2 years... not unlimited like pageplus pro, but I do this first...

kevs

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 10:04:58 pm »

PS Final recommendation: I'm going to need an independent international card prepaid. I've used Pennytalk, the customer help is super mediocre. Any better?

DP

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 09:23:47 am »

I use Google Fi ( https://fi.google.com/about/ )  - which is a "MVNO" using both Sprint & T-Mobile networks... no bloatware except the google search bar (which can be removed too though by installing something like Nova launcher)

highly recommended

dbolt

• Photos by Doug Bolt
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 11:50:42 am »

The $65 -75 bills were total charges for 4 cell phones.  The charges for text, minutes and data are shared among the 4 phones.

Two phones use T-mobile and two Sprint.  I can't see much difference from where we use them the most.  Granted, Verizon gives us better coverage than either T-Mobile or Sprint.  I live just outside DC in Maryland.

D I went on Tings site and their prices were not much different from Verizon, did I miss something?

One cell phone Ting..? for 2, or 3 gig

What servers using?  Are you in major city, use phone for business?
Doug Bolt
http:\\dougboltphotography.com

kevs

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 05:49:23 pm »

Thanks guys, good into. Like I said, I'll  probably keep it with Verizon now that they have their own cheaper prepaid, but again, for all on this thread:

Final recommendation: I'm going to need an independent international card prepaid. I've used Pennytalk, the customer help is super mediocre. Any better?

DP

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 07:17:29 pm »

Final recommendation: I'm going to need an independent international card prepaid. I've used Pennytalk, the customer help is super mediocre. Any better?

I am using www.comfi.com , I can't give an objective comparison, but I had no issues with their customer service... granted I had few problems to start with...

kevs

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 07:14:46 pm »

THANKS DP, will notate.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up