Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cell Phone: Using a 3rd party company vs Verizon, ATT, T mobile etc?  (Read 3557 times)

Aram Hăvărneanu

Re: Cell Phone: Using a 3rd party company vs Verizon, ATT, T mobile etc?
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2019, 08:45:13 am »

I need international telephony services, so I did a lot of research and tried out various options, and they all are pretty bad. The best I found (if you need data, which I do) was Truphone (link to prepaid site, though I don't recomment the prepaid option). They don't support all countries though, but if I go in a supported country, that's what I will be using. Attention, for the prepaid SIM data is still pretty expensive, and some countries are orders of magnitude more expensive than others, so do your research before travelling!

If you are a business Truphone is excellent because they have business plans (it's very easy to quality as a business, anything goes, really, even one-man operations).

TBH I just use Truphone for data and eat the cost of roaming with my regular home phone number for calls/SMS. I rarely need to speak on the phone (as opposed to some other kind of voice chat) while traveling, usually only for some kind of emergency, and when that happens the roaming cost is not that bad. Data roaming costs with home plans are generally crazy though, or come with too many caveats (increased latency, 2G only) so that's why I use Truphone.

If you use a new iPad/iPhone, you can use the eSIM functionality, and they have special plans for that. You don't need a physical SIM card. This is significantly cheaper than the prepaid plans, and this is what I use. So I very much suggest that.

I have a giant list of resources/services about international telephony: https://xw.is/wiki/Global_telephony. However, it's unsorted and mostly catered to the more technical side of things (running your own SIP server, etc). However, it might be useful to someone.

To summarize, with Truphone look at the eSIM/business options, the prepaid option is generally pretty expensive.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 09:24:18 am by Aram Hăvărneanu »

kevs

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2019, 07:21:48 pm »

Thanks Aram will bookmark, leaning toward Verizon prepaid (as I'm with them so long), and staying with pennytalk for international, but penny is mediocre service so if anyone can beat that for better service..
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

kevs

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2019, 01:54:20 am »

Question all: On your prepaid programs is your name coming up on people's caller IDs?

Suddenly going from postpaid to prepaid, this is not longer possible I've discovered, after the fact of signing up for Verizon prepaid.

The prepaid sales rep and Verizon sales guy in store did not mention it. Though I'm upset, I'm not surprised at the sadistic and boundless greed of Verizon to it's clients.
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up