Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calibrating/profiling Dell XPS 4K?  (Read 178 times)

Rand47

Calibrating/profiling Dell XPS 4K?
« on: January 13, 2019, 06:43:29 PM »

Iím shopping for a new Windows laptop for photo editing while on the road.  I like what Iíve read about the Dell XPS 15, but Iíve also searched and found that there are problems using i1 Display Pro to calibrate and profile the screen.  Anyone here using the XPS and successfully calibrating it?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Iím also interested in advice, in general, for a good laptop for PS/LR editing.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Re: Calibrating/profiling Dell XPS 4K?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 07:17:06 AM »

Iím shopping for a new Windows laptop for photo editing while on the road.  I like what Iíve read about the Dell XPS 15, but Iíve also searched and found that there are problems using i1 Display Pro to calibrate and profile the screen.  Anyone here using the XPS and successfully calibrating it?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Iím also interested in advice, in general, for a good laptop for PS/LR editing.

Rand

There's Dell Premiercolor software that works with XPS 4K and supports i1Display Pro, so calibration is very easy.

Rand47

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 09:51:36 AM »

There's Dell Premiercolor software that works with XPS 4K and supports i1Display Pro, so calibration is very easy.

Thanks very much for this information.  It looks like the problem I was reading about was a result of one of the Windows 10 updates, last year.  Latest video drivers and versions of Dell Premiercolor seem to have resolved the issue.   Thanks again, that pretty much makes up my mind re the XPS.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Kiwi Paul

• My flickr
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 10:25:58 AM »

I've been using a XPS15 9530 which is a 2014 vintage with a 3200 x 1800 px screen for the last 4 years and I've been more than happy with it and still am. I've contemplated upgrading to the latest spec 4K version but really there's no need as my current model does all I want effortlessly.
It has the i7 processor, 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM and I';ve done lots of post processing using LR, Photoshop and more recently Capture one and it runs all these applications with ease.
Totally recommended laptop from me.

Paul
See my flickr
Sony A7R3 + CV10, FE 12-24, 24-70, 70-300
Sony RX100 Mk6

Rand47

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 10:37:25 AM »

I've been using a XPS15 9530 which is a 2014 vintage with a 3200 x 1800 px screen for the last 4 years and I've been more than happy with it and still am. I've contemplated upgrading to the latest spec 4K version but really there's no need as my current model does all I want effortlessly.
It has the i7 processor, 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM and I';ve done lots of post processing using LR, Photoshop and more recently Capture one and it runs all these applications with ease.
Totally recommended laptop from me.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the positive feedback.  Encouraging. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 04:41:44 PM »

HI Rand,

I have the newest version with the i9/32gb/1TB having had my older laptop (9560) stolen last year.
It's a wonderful machine and can handle pretty much anything I through at it.

One thing to be aware of is it's a power hungry machine.  We are sometimes out all day and we have to be very careful with the battery life.  Set it to battery saver makes a big difference.

And the screen is great!

Good luck!
Between the Buildings
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Rand47

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 04:48:19 PM »

HI Rand,

I have the newest version with the i9/32gb/1TB having had my older laptop (9560) stolen last year.
It's a wonderful machine and can handle pretty much anything I through at it.

One thing to be aware of is it's a power hungry machine.  We are sometimes out all day and we have to be very careful with the battery life.  Set it to battery saver makes a big difference.

And the screen is great!

Good luck!

alatreille,

Thanks so much for the additional positive feedback.  I went for the 1 TB SSD, 32 gigs RAM, but w/ the 8th Gen i7 chip.   What are you using to calibrate the screen?  Any issues there at all?

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 12:19:02 AM »

Hi Rand,

I use an i1display.  No issues so far.
Enjoy!

Andrew

alatreille,

Thanks so much for the additional positive feedback.  I went for the 1 TB SSD, 32 gigs RAM, but w/ the 8th Gen i7 chip.   What are you using to calibrate the screen?  Any issues there at all?

Rand
Between the Buildings
http://www.andrewlatreille.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up