Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calibrating/profiling Dell XPS 4K?  (Read 1294 times)

Rand47

Calibrating/profiling Dell XPS 4K?
« on: January 13, 2019, 06:43:29 pm »

I’m shopping for a new Windows laptop for photo editing while on the road.  I like what I’ve read about the Dell XPS 15, but I’ve also searched and found that there are problems using i1 Display Pro to calibrate and profile the screen.  Anyone here using the XPS and successfully calibrating it?

Thanks in advance for any input.

I’m also interested in advice, in general, for a good laptop for PS/LR editing.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Re: Calibrating/profiling Dell XPS 4K?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 07:17:06 am »

I’m shopping for a new Windows laptop for photo editing while on the road.  I like what I’ve read about the Dell XPS 15, but I’ve also searched and found that there are problems using i1 Display Pro to calibrate and profile the screen.  Anyone here using the XPS and successfully calibrating it?

Thanks in advance for any input.

I’m also interested in advice, in general, for a good laptop for PS/LR editing.

Rand

There's Dell Premiercolor software that works with XPS 4K and supports i1Display Pro, so calibration is very easy.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Rand47

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 09:51:36 am »

There's Dell Premiercolor software that works with XPS 4K and supports i1Display Pro, so calibration is very easy.

Thanks very much for this information.  It looks like the problem I was reading about was a result of one of the Windows 10 updates, last year.  Latest video drivers and versions of Dell Premiercolor seem to have resolved the issue.   Thanks again, that pretty much makes up my mind re the XPS.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Kiwi Paul

• My flickr
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 10:25:58 am »

I've been using a XPS15 9530 which is a 2014 vintage with a 3200 x 1800 px screen for the last 4 years and I've been more than happy with it and still am. I've contemplated upgrading to the latest spec 4K version but really there's no need as my current model does all I want effortlessly.
It has the i7 processor, 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM and I';ve done lots of post processing using LR, Photoshop and more recently Capture one and it runs all these applications with ease.
Totally recommended laptop from me.

Paul
Sony A7R3 + FE 12-24, 24-105, 70-300
Sony RX100 Mk6

Rand47

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 10:37:25 am »

I've been using a XPS15 9530 which is a 2014 vintage with a 3200 x 1800 px screen for the last 4 years and I've been more than happy with it and still am. I've contemplated upgrading to the latest spec 4K version but really there's no need as my current model does all I want effortlessly.
It has the i7 processor, 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM and I';ve done lots of post processing using LR, Photoshop and more recently Capture one and it runs all these applications with ease.
Totally recommended laptop from me.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the positive feedback.  Encouraging. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 04:41:44 pm »

HI Rand,

I have the newest version with the i9/32gb/1TB having had my older laptop (9560) stolen last year.
It's a wonderful machine and can handle pretty much anything I through at it.

One thing to be aware of is it's a power hungry machine.  We are sometimes out all day and we have to be very careful with the battery life.  Set it to battery saver makes a big difference.

And the screen is great!

Good luck!
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Rand47

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 04:48:19 pm »

HI Rand,

I have the newest version with the i9/32gb/1TB having had my older laptop (9560) stolen last year.
It's a wonderful machine and can handle pretty much anything I through at it.

One thing to be aware of is it's a power hungry machine.  We are sometimes out all day and we have to be very careful with the battery life.  Set it to battery saver makes a big difference.

And the screen is great!

Good luck!

alatreille,

Thanks so much for the additional positive feedback.  I went for the 1 TB SSD, 32 gigs RAM, but w/ the 8th Gen i7 chip.   What are you using to calibrate the screen?  Any issues there at all?

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 12:19:02 am »

Hi Rand,

I use an i1display.  No issues so far.
Enjoy!

Andrew

alatreille,

Thanks so much for the additional positive feedback.  I went for the 1 TB SSD, 32 gigs RAM, but w/ the 8th Gen i7 chip.   What are you using to calibrate the screen?  Any issues there at all?

Rand

Rand47

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 08:24:55 pm »

I want to thank, again, you fellows who responded to my original question re calibrating the screen on a Dell XPS 15 w/ 4K.  My computer arrived yesterday, and I was amazed at how quickly I managed to get it configured.  One previously unrecognized advantage to the Adobe Creative Cloud subscription scheme is that I just logged off on my old latptop, and then logged on and downloaded LR/PS/ACR/Bridge on the Dell and I was up and running.

This morning I launched Dell Premier Color and hooked up my i1 Display Pro and made a couple of profile runs for full gamut and sRGB.  Easy peasy as you all said. So, thank you very much.  I don’t think I’d have pulled the trigger on this machine w/o your thoughtful input.

I must say I’m thrilled with the Dell’s performance.  Dang thing is fast and appears to be of very high build quality.

Thanks again . . .   LULA’s forums are truly a wonderful resource and I’m grateful.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 03:31:09 pm »

I have the Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 with the 4k screen. I have used both the i1 Display Pro (and X-Rite software) and the Datacolor Spyder 5 Elite to calibrate the laptop. I found I achieved results a bit closer to my desktop and NEC monitors using the Spyder. (I disabled the Dell color calibration because the results were horrible.) I have thought of using the X-rite software and my older i1 Pro to see if the results are different or the same. All that said, I also found I had to dial down the color saturation of the screen in the Intel panel to about -15. (Otherwise it was hyper saturated). By the way, you want to aim for AdobeRGB rather than sRGB since it's capable of covering that color gamut to about 97-98%.

The screen of my XPS is pretty spectacular and when I tether with Capture One, I can enlarge an image to 400% with virtually no pixelization of the image. The XPS is a great choice. I bought my last summer. I had some quality control issue initially and eventually they replaced the notebook. Since then, no issues as well. I hope to post a "long term" user  perspective on it sometime soon.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 11:44:44 pm »

I have the Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 with the 4k screen.

How is the battery life on this 2-in-1?

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 11:13:31 am »

How is the battery life on this 2-in-1?

Well, there's no easy answer. I'd have to say "It depends...". By that, I mean it depends upon the task at hand and how you have both power of CPU and graphics set. For instance, watching movies in the airport, I watched two 2-hr long movies coming back from Miami last week. When I checked the battery, I still had approximately 70%/5-hrs left (and this was using Bluetooth N/C headphones). If I have graphics switched to the Radeon (vs. the lethargic Intel) as I do for things like Capture One, Photoshop etc. and have the CPU cranked up to max, I get about 3-4 hours, sometimes less. I did find that if I use the laptop on battery and the default is set to about 1/2 or 3/4 for battery/power management, it takes about double the time to shoot and transfer and render an image in Capture One. With the 5D4 and the EOS R, on battery where I have it set to a lower power, it took about 3+ seconds to see an image. Plugged in, that dropped to about 1 second.

Hope that helps.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 02:39:02 am »

Thank you.  Similar response to my 9570 when tethered.
I'm managing about 8-10 hours of work with it if I keep it on battery saver, but it does mean that C1 doesn't always bring the files in and render at the same speed we make the photographs!
;-)

Well, there's no easy answer. I'd have to say "It depends...". By that, I mean it depends upon the task at hand and how you have both power of CPU and graphics set. For instance, watching movies in the airport, I watched two 2-hr long movies coming back from Miami last week. When I checked the battery, I still had approximately 70%/5-hrs left (and this was using Bluetooth N/C headphones). If I have graphics switched to the Radeon (vs. the lethargic Intel) as I do for things like Capture One, Photoshop etc. and have the CPU cranked up to max, I get about 3-4 hours, sometimes less. I did find that if I use the laptop on battery and the default is set to about 1/2 or 3/4 for battery/power management, it takes about double the time to shoot and transfer and render an image in Capture One. With the 5D4 and the EOS R, on battery where I have it set to a lower power, it took about 3+ seconds to see an image. Plugged in, that dropped to about 1 second.

Hope that helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up