Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Any one using Fuji GFX for architecture?  (Read 10189 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Any one using Fuji GFX for architecture?
« on: January 11, 2019, 08:19:59 pm »

Hi,

Architecture photographers often use view cams with digital backs. Anyone using the GFX for work needing shifts on wide angles?

Comments appreciated!

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

trias260

Re: Any one using Fuji GFX for architecture?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 11:56:01 pm »

I would like to, but did not find a usable shift solution until now.
You need a lens with aperture ring, so the canons will not work.
I also tried the 50mm Mamiya c shift, but with the adapter(novoflex) I could not focus to infinity.
next test will be a Kipon shift adapter....
Usually I use a Arca Rm3di and the IQ3100, I would love to have besides a solution for „easy going“, so I ordered the GFX 50R, which I own now since 3 weeks. But the missing shift solution is a pain.
I really hope that Fuji will soon offer a shift solution.

EK
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 12:13:23 am by trias260 »

chrismuc

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 01:03:35 am »

I use the GFX50S with the shift options below for architecture photography:
That works perfectly well. I don't use tilt.
Of course with some lenses the shift range is a bit limited due to the image circle. But with live view that can be examined immediately.

Canon TSE 17f4 + Canon EF - Fuji GF adapter (Steel)
Canon TSE 24f4 + Canon EF - Fuji GF adapter (Steel)
Contax 645 35f3.5 + Canon EF - Contax 645 shift adapter (Mirex) + Canon EF - Fuji GF adapter (Fotodiox)
[Pentax 645 35f3.5, Mamiya 645 35f3.5 work in the same way.]
Hasselblad CF 50f4 FLE + Hasselblad V - Fuji GF adapter (Kipon)
[Mamiya 645 50f4 PC works in the same way. Not reaching infinity is only a matter of adapter precision, not a lens issue.]
Hasselblad CF 100f3.5 + Hasselblad V - Fuji GF adapter (Kipon)

Before I used the Alpa FPS + IQ180 and the Sony A7RII with the same lens set-up, but since I got the Fuji GFX, I hardly ever touch the other two cameras.
As soon as the GFX100S is on the market, that will be the perfect solution for me.

Two GFX50S examples:
first one with Canon TSE 24, second one with Contax 35

chrismuc

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 01:18:07 am »

The most crazy thing I did this summer:-)

At a very hot day in Guangzhou I walked through the old district of Dongshan for a photography documentation of these (more or less) well renovated buildings from beginning of 20th century. For basically all pictures I used the GFX50S with TSE 24 - with shift - without tripod! Typically I set the exposure to ISO 100, f11, 1/125 (in the sun), but even 1/30 (in the shadow), hold the camera up in front of me (in landscape or portrait orientation), tilt the monitor down, shift the lens up as much as required, press the button for zoom-in for adjusting the sharpness. Then the tricky thing is to hold the camera horizontally in both axis (I use grid and horizont). Works pretty well, after some exercise I achieved a very high keeper rate with critical sharpness.

With that method you are so much quicker than setting up a tripod.
Looking forward the IBIS of the GFX100 ... that will be even more helpful.

Two examples. First 1/125, second 1/30.

chrismuc

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 01:25:06 am »

two more examples (all Guangzhou)

first with Canon TSE 17
second with Hasselblad 50f4 FLE

(btw., I am pretty sure that the new Canon TSE 50 also works very well on the GFX)

Prakash Patel

• http://www.prakashpatel.com
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 08:54:40 am »

If you prefer to have the X and Y axis seperated ( as well as having the option to use other medium format slr lenses) on the canon PC’s the Hcam DRS Hartblei solution by Stefan Steib is a beautiful enginered robust solution.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 08:57:46 am by Prakash Patel »

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 04:48:58 pm »

Your GFX is not a digital back. So the first thing to realise is that can't put it on a view camera and get the same results as a digital back (ie, poor, IMO) because the sensor plane is a long way further back. Longer focal length and worse crop factor. There is another post on a similar subject you can read through.

Unless you need serious tilt and shift then you can probably get good results with a Canon TSE 24 lens. That is what I use on an X1D with a Kipon adaptor for landscape and buildings.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 04:56:07 pm »

EK, I understand that Arca has a solution to use the Fuji on the back of your Rm3d and have a Canon lens panel for it.  You should get in touch with Rod Klukas since you already have most of the parts.  I use an A7r3 on the Mf2 with an electronic Canon lens board and love that setup.  I just got the Fuji adapter from Rod, but haven't purchased the body yet.

-Chris

trias260

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 08:29:18 pm »

thanks Chris, thanks to all advice from out there!
And yes, there should be a solution made by Arca, but that is what I am not looking for.
my prefefence would be a portable, handheld solution as a kind of sidekick to my arca

@chrismuc,  control of aperture whith the canons, does it work well?

Ekkehart

chrismuc

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 09:12:17 pm »

@ Ekkehart
you are welcome
The Steel Canon EF - Fuji GF adapter has aperture control from camera, auto focus (with af lenses) and EXIF recording to file.

Only the Contax 645 lens I have to stop down before to f11 because the Mirex adapter is purely mechanical.
(I also have a Steel prototype adapter Contax 645 - Fuji GF with aperture control, auto focus and EXIF but that is w/o shift)

OwenR

• http://www.owenraggett.com
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 07:57:22 am »

(btw., I am pretty sure that the new Canon TSE 50 also works very well on the GFX)

Chris, it is. It's probably my favourite lens on the GFX. Just wish Fuji (or anyone) would release a 30mm shift of their own.

OwenR

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 07:58:14 am »

EK, I understand that Arca has a solution to use the Fuji on the back of your Rm3d and have a Canon lens panel for it.  You should get in touch with Rod Klukas since you already have most of the parts.  I use an A7r3 on the Mf2 with an electronic Canon lens board and love that setup.  I just got the Fuji adapter from Rod, but haven't purchased the body yet.

-Chris

Chris, are you going for the 50S or waiting for the 100?

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 12:11:10 pm »

Chris, are you going for the 50S or waiting for the 100?

Actually, I love the form factor of the R, even though its tech is oldish.

OwenR

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 08:45:18 pm »

Actually, I love the form factor of the R, even though its tech is oldish.

The swivel viewfinder on the S is life changing...

JaapD

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 01:54:57 am »

Gents,

Can you enlighten me here: what’s the advantage of shift lenses these days against applying keystoning in post? Is it all about resolution?

I have used a Canon 24mm T/S in the past, still have it and never use it anymore. I see shift lenses as being expensive, cause vignetting, don’t have a wide range of focal distances available, aren’t always that sharp near the edges, etc.

Hope to learn from you here, thanks in advance!

Regards,
Jaap.

vjbelle

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 07:59:22 am »

Pick your poison!  I try to avoid post correction for keystoning at all costs as I have found that a 'good' lens will always be a better solution.  But with the added MP (100+) available on cameras these days another solution for me is to take three leveled portrait images with a wide lens, stitch and then crop out the foreground to the original one shot dimensions.  You end up with an image that would normally be a single shot full frame size.  This equates to about 8mm of rise so if that is enough for some circumstances then it's a good solution.  This takes a little practice but once you know the lens and distances its very quick and the best solution for some shots. 

Victor
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 08:32:59 am by vjbelle »

mdelrossi

• http://www.delrossiphotography.com
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2019, 04:46:39 pm »

GFX with Rokinon 24 3.5

The rest here:Del Rossi Photography New works
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 04:38:52 pm by mdelrossi »

OwenR

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 01:29:59 am »

Hi,

Architecture photographers often use view cams with digital backs. Anyone using the GFX for work needing shifts on wide angles?

Comments appreciated!

Best regards
Erik

Erik, this just landed.

https://photorumors.com/…/new-swiss-company-nws-instrumen…/…

http://www.nws-instruments.ch/NWS_23APO.html

marc aurel

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 05:40:00 am »

Erik, this just landed.

https://photorumors.com/…/new-swiss-company-nws-instrumen…/…

http://www.nws-instruments.ch/NWS_23APO.html

The MTF diagram of the NWS 23 APO claims a very high performance.
I tried to find a way to compare it with the TS-E 24mm L II. I found the OLAF measurement by lensrentals on the digital picture (https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/MTF.aspx?Lens=486&CT=AVG) and oyerlayed it with the NWS MTF (see attachment): the 40LP/mm lines for the TS-E 24 are the shorter lines that stop at 20mm image heigt.

The top line of the NWS 23 Apo shows the same frequency (40 LP/mm). If that would be true it would mean this lens is much sharper than the TS-E 24mm L II. But with about 5% distortion while the TS-E 24mm L II has close to zero.

Interesting. Thanks for the link.   
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 05:45:55 am by marc aurel »

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 12:52:21 pm »

The MTF diagram of the NWS 23 APO claims a very high performance.
I tried to find a way to compare it with the TS-E 24mm L II. I found the OLAF measurement by lensrentals on the digital picture (https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/MTF.aspx?Lens=486&CT=AVG) and oyerlayed it with the NWS MTF (see attachment): the 40LP/mm lines for the TS-E 24 are the shorter lines that stop at 20mm image heigt.

The top line of the NWS 23 Apo shows the same frequency (40 LP/mm). If that would be true it would mean this lens is much sharper than the TS-E 24mm L II. But with about 5% distortion while the TS-E 24mm L II has close to zero.

Interesting. Thanks for the link.

The distortion of the NWS lens is very high. Not only that, but it is wavy. So, not something I think I would consider for architectural photography when there other lenses available with much less distortion.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up