Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Flickr as we knew it dead?  (Read 317 times)

VincentDJohnson

• Lost Americana
Is Flickr as we knew it dead?
« on: January 10, 2019, 03:00:14 pm »

I went looking to see if anyone was talking about dropping Flickr with the new changes to membership and the only thing I found was this one thread that seems to have lost traction on the very day it was posted and that might speak volume about Flickr's future. https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=127435.0

I currently use Zenfolio (not an endorsement) for my professional gallery needs and it has an unlimited storage space and other features. I also have Google photos and Dropbox as paid storage and cloud services for images. Not to mention 4 different websites to house my various type so photographer.

Which leaves Flickr filling the one niche it has since the beginning; social media. I've had two pro accounts (one since 2006) and I have been a somewhat active member,  but my social following there is dismal compared with Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. I literally gain more followers a month on IG than I have total on either Flickr account. Even the groups I am in seem to have gone dry.

With these new changes I feel that there will only be two types of people using Flickr, those who are hoping they may randomly get discovered by a content buyer, and those searching the site for free images for a blog or news site because of Creative Commons licenses (which also is the only way to guarantee your photos over 1,000 will stay).

Don't get me wrong $50 isn't horrible (I'm keeping my main account for now, even when that is roughly what 2 years used to cost), but with two Pro accounts and the prospect of even less traffic being on the site. I'm not wondering if it's worth the cash. I'm wondering if it's even worth the time? The site feels like a poor man's stock agency.
Vincent D. Johnson | LostAmericana.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up