Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What about Flickr ?  (Read 475 times)

jeremyrh

What about Flickr ?
« on: November 06, 2018, 04:14:45 am »

I am wondering how to react to Flickr's decision to limit free accounts to 1000 images. Forget Flickr? Or jump in and get a Pro account?  If the latter maybe I will go the whole hog and bin my "vanity" website and domain etc. What do folk actually need a web "presence" for?  (For context, I am looking to reduce my expenses - subscriptions etc and simplify my existence.)

Thoughts ... ??

Ivophoto

Re: What about Flickr ?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 04:50:43 am »

I am wondering how to react to Flickr's decision to limit free accounts to 1000 images. Forget Flickr? Or jump in and get a Pro account?  If the latter maybe I will go the whole hog and bin my "vanity" website and domain etc. What do folk actually need a web "presence" for?  (For context, I am looking to reduce my expenses - subscriptions etc and simplify my existence.)

Thoughts ... ??

I’m a pro Flickr user and I’m happy I never stepped in the free unlimited space trap.
A pro account is not really expensive and it cuts away any publicity.
The Flickr app is really nice and I hope at a Flickr community revival.
I can only recommend Flickr.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 05:13:07 am »

Thoughts ... ??

For myself, it, the website, began as an exercise in looking backwards to see whether I had really existed, or was trapped in a dream without foundation.

Having decided that yes, I had existed, and that I was willing to accept my remaining images as some sort of proof of that, I then realised that the website offered an even better real-time solution to another problem altogether: it gave me a spot where I could easily access my images, wherever I was in the world, without having to look at my own backups on HDs.

If there is one grave downside, to the Weebly system at least (the only one I know), it's that though it lets me see the pictures, it does not let me discover my own file numbers. I contacted Weebly, who at first didn't understand the question, and then offered that they knew of no solution.

I sometimes look at a shot on the website and think hey, how would it look if I did this, that and the other to it? But, I can never find that image file without looking through all my backups until I find the actual one. With several thousand on file, it's not a route I am often willing to journey: I'd have lost enthusiasm after the first few folders of snaps. At best, I do a screen grab and muck about with that, which is no wonderful solution, as you can imagine.

Another thing: if you are working as a photographer, especially in the beginning of a career, I suggest that you show only work-related images; you won't have the pro gravitas that makes your personal work interesting to possible clients.

That said, if you have no reasonable hopes of commercial work, no interest in it, then show whatever you want to show: it's for you, not for somebody else.

Rob

jeremyrh

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 06:28:20 am »

Thanks for the comments. Rob - I think we are similarly situated to some extent (if I understand correctly) at least as far as budget is concerned. For now Flickr is a place I put groups of pictures that might be of interest to friends and family. My website is a place I put a few pictures to show I am "serious" (if not specially talented).  I am wondering if the latter is actually worth the effort ...

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 08:23:16 am »

Thanks for the comments. Rob - I think we are similarly situated to some extent (if I understand correctly) at least as far as budget is concerned. For now Flickr is a place I put groups of pictures that might be of interest to friends and family. My website is a place I put a few pictures to show I am "serious" (if not specially talented).  I am wondering if the latter is actually worth the effort ...

If it brings in one good gig, then yes, it's worth the effort.

As far as I remember from when I started with Weebly, you can get a free site if you are willing to have their name also appear in the address; there's a second alternative, that lets you rent your own domain name, as per my website, for so much a year and that also allows you a second, free website too. Then there are so-called Pro options that cost more, let you do marketing etc., but which mean nothing to me and I'm not willing to pay more for something I won't use.

All in all, I can't complain about anything except that failure to be able to identify my own picture file numbers directly by clicking somewhere on my website.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up