Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Kevin Raber?  (Read 10086 times)

bjanes

Kevin Raber?
« on: January 05, 2019, 08:17:52 pm »

In his article on LuLa the day after Christmas, Josh Reichman stated "Of course, we extend our very best wishes to Kevin Raber as he pivots to focus on offering Rockhopper Workshops and setting sail towards other endeavors."

Does this mean that Kevin has left to pursue other interests, the classical firing statement? I hope that I have interpreted this incorrectly as I have enjoyed Kevin's contributions to LuLa and was fortunate enough to meet him at the Chicago workshop with Jeff Schewe.

Regards,

Bill Janes

amolitor

• Contributor
Re: Kevin Raber?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 08:22:50 pm »

Yes. The entire previous LuLa team has been asked to find other ways to engage themselves. It's not entirely clear who all the new staff are, but we have "met" Josh Reichmann and Irene Cortes. Whether there are other staff in place, or to be hired, or what the overall situation is has not been shared by the new management team (as is, of course, their prerogative, LuLa is a privately held company).

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 08:52:14 pm »

If you have the time and the patience (stamina?), have a read of The Changing Landscape.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Two23

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 11:21:48 pm »

I think not keeping Jeremy would be a major mistake.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 11:56:26 pm »

Kent in SD
I agree. But since they don't pay him anything, they might decide to keep him.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 04:11:11 am »

I agree. But since they don't pay him anything, they might decide to keep him.

You're both very kind. Josh and Irene have asked me to continue to moderate the forums and I have happily agreed to do so. My stipend remains unchanged.

Jeremy

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 09:34:22 am »

You're both very kind. Josh and Irene have asked me to continue to moderate the forums and I have happily agreed to do so. My stipend remains unchanged.
Jeremy

I guess that makes you the elder statesman, Jeremy!  ;)
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Photog-x

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 05:50:17 pm »

I wish we could bring back Michael Reichmann.   This place ain't what is used to be, even with Kevin.  I'm just saying, it's taken a turn that I didn't really like very well after Michael passed.  I don't spend much time here anymore (skim the articles now and then but that's about it).  I miss the old days.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 08:59:55 am »

I wish we could bring back Michael Reichmann.   This place ain't what is used to be, even with Kevin.  I'm just saying, it's taken a turn that I didn't really like very well after Michael passed.  I don't spend much time here anymore (skim the articles now and then but that's about it). I miss the old days.

Don't we all, and not only the photographic ones!

Guess we never know how good it is until it's gone. Just like my two Swedish Squares, the losing of which pair was one of my major middle-age crises (I have had several; one advantage of the present may be that's all behind me now).

Rob

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 02:36:59 pm »

I guess that makes you the elder statesman, Jeremy!  ;)

I'm a great deal older than either of them, certainly. Not many would credit me with sufficient diplomacy to be called a statesman, however.

Jeremy

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 03:35:59 pm »

I'm a great deal older than either of them, certainly. Not many would credit me with sufficient diplomacy to be called a statesman, however.

Jeremy
But you are the one who ended politics!!  That is no small feat.  If you can only get the Brexit question solved you will rank right up there with the greatest of all British Statesmen and women.

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 04:42:44 pm »

But you are the one who ended politics!!  That is no small feat.  If you can only get the Brexit question solved you will rank right up there with the greatest of all British Statesmen and women.

Only if he fixes it in accordance with my needs as an expatriate!

:-)

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 08:46:18 pm »

Only if he fixes it in accordance with my needs as an expatriate!

:-)

My thoughts are that as permanent expats we voted with our feet and no longer have "needs".  I look on forlornly from across the pond however ...

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 09:21:56 pm »

That comes as a huge surprise to me since I was under the impression that Kevin had bought LL from Michael.

I did appreciate Kevin's many contributions to LL and his departure is disappointing.

Cheers,
Bernard

bjanes

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 09:56:43 pm »

That comes as a huge surprise to me since I was under the impression that Kevin had bought LL from Michael.

I did appreciate Kevin's many contributions to LL and his departure is disappointing.

Cheers,
Bernard

+1. Second generation businesses have a high failure rate as explained in this article. I certainly hope this does not occur with LuLa. I don't know Josh or his female partner, but their backgrounds do not appear to be in photography and also do not know if any of the traits in the referenced article apply to them. Time will tell.

Bill

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 01:00:17 am »

...do not know if any of the traits in the referenced article apply to them...

There is an interesting quote in that article:

If the 2nd generation owner doesn’t respect those who helped the business get to where it is… Watch out for the Bizpocalypse

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 08:34:36 am »

My thoughts are that as permanent expats we voted with our feet and no longer have "needs".  I look on forlornly from across the pond however ...

The needs are ever more fraught: the state pension comes ready-converted into euros and the rate seems pretty dismal. Since the entire fiasco began, I guess I have lost at least 15% to 25% of my puchasing power, but it's difficult to put a precise figure on it because prices here are going upwards too, especially heating (electricity). The pension pays for only a part of the cost of living - I live a simple life - and I have to keep topping up the local account with pounds from Britain in order to pay my way. The two economies are inextricably linked in my life.

The biggie, however, is the national health services to which I am entitled here in Spain. Two heart attacks already, and eye problems as well, means I use them a lot, for medication too! My being here saves the UK all that money, because according to the hospital info here, there are no bills getting sent back to the UK to cover costs of their nationals here: Spain picks up the tab, which looked at from the other end, means my living here has saved the UK services a fortune! And as nobody from here goes to  Britain to retire, and as the old cost more, the direction of profit and loss already favours Britain! But who mentioned that amongst all the blatant lies?

Rob

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 08:46:48 am »

The biggie, however, is the national health services to which I am entitled here in Spain. Two heart attacks already, and eye problems as well, means I use them a lot, for medication too! My being here saves the UK all that money, because according to the hospital info here, there are no bills getting sent back to the UK to cover costs of their nationals here: Spain picks up the tab, which looked at from the other end, means my living here has saved the UK services a fortune! And as nobody from here goes to  Britain to retire, and as the old cost more, the direction of profit and loss already favours Britain! But who mentioned that amongst all the blatant lies?

Rob

Is this because you are covered by the EHIC arrangements which as far as was aware of a form of reciprocal agreement covering EU country citizens (i.e. money does not change hands between countries)..................therefore how will yours and other expats health needs be covered once/if the UK leave the EU.  Will the EHIC in regard to UK citizens cease to operate???
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 09:14:00 am »

The needs are ever more fraught: the state pension comes ready-converted into euros and the rate seems pretty dismal. Since the entire fiasco began, I guess I have lost at least 15% to 25% of my puchasing power, but it's difficult to put a precise figure on it because prices here are going upwards too, especially heating (electricity). The pension pays for only a part of the cost of living - I live a simple life - and I have to keep topping up the local account with pounds from Britain in order to pay my way. The two economies are inextricably linked in my life.

Rob

Ahh, stupid of me, with you in Europe and currently EU you're in a very different situation from me, and I only worked for a few years in the UK before moving to the US, so I only have a tiny UK pension.  Big impacts for you depending on many factors ...

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 01:11:00 pm »

We are perilously close to trespassing upon forbidden (political) territory, chaps, and we're certainly way off topic.

Jeremy
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up