Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Respect for subjects and society.  (Read 5673 times)

32BT

• Pictures
Re: Respect for subjects and society.
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 11:36:30 am »

Ivo, your picture here is perhaps a more interesting case from a philosophical pov:
https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=127912.0
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Ivophoto

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 11:47:20 am »

Ivo, your picture here is perhaps a more interesting case from a philosophical pov:
https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=127912.0

Ok, explain?

Two23

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2019, 11:53:11 am »

My own general rule is to not take a photo of someone when I wouldn't want a photo of me taken in the same  circumstances.   I think some here might be getting too carried away with "sensitivity".

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Ivophoto

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2019, 12:08:38 pm »

My own general rule is to not take a photo of someone when I wouldn't want a photo of me taken in the same  circumstances.   I think some here might be getting too carried away with "sensitivity".

Kent in SD
Well, that’s the whole point of the topic.

Did the politician exposed himself to visual interpretation and registration by profiling himself in a public parade? Is there something disrespectful in play here? Or not.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2019, 02:08:09 pm »

What that shows is that there are a lot of blind people commenting on photographs.

ie, "blind" when they don't agree with you.

And when is lighting not "self-evident," Peter?

You're the one who said "unless you had flaky lighting". What did you mean by "flaky"?

My question was "is this image disrespectful?"  Most agree with me that it's not.  YMMV.

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2019, 02:36:36 pm »

The problem, Peter, is the guy's face. Either you were getting some really flaky light, or the guy has some serious skin problems. If it was the latter, I'd say "yes" to your question.

Though you obviously wouldn't mention it, the problem with the "bakery" is that not a lot's going down, and the best thing for it would have been to crop into it a bit (lot) and concentrate the shot on the cat, guy and the word. Some less-than-straight printing processing could have brought the three features out and created a link of sorts, if only through their relative brightness against a darkened backdrop, making the subliminal idea of a collective hunger seem the point.

As with all street, my own rare and humble efforts very much included, I can't ever imagine why anyone would actually print one up and hang it somewhere. Bang goes the credibility of the art world.

:-)

Rob

P.S.

Oh dear, I think I've gone past my two posts per day allowance again! Sorry!

P.P.S.

I liked the video, by the way, even if the guy's bucking for sainthood.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 02:42:41 pm by Rob C »

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2019, 04:00:54 pm »

Ok, explain?

Well, the picture clearly puts her in a mildly embarrassing insinuated situation. She is recognisable, as is het friend (maybe even client?). So it makes me wonder whether they are in consent with your publication. For philosophical purposes, it doesn't really matter whether you have actual permission. It simply raises the question. Is this art? Sure. But is it art enough to overcome the objections that may arise?
Regards,
~ O ~

Ivophoto

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2019, 04:21:59 pm »

Well, the picture clearly puts her in a mildly embarrassing insinuated situation. She is recognisable, as is het friend (maybe even client?). So it makes me wonder whether they are in consent with your publication. For philosophical purposes, it doesn't really matter whether you have actual permission. It simply raises the question. Is this art? Sure. But is it art enough to overcome the objections that may arise?

? Embarrassing situation?
I don’t see it to be honest.

In the first picture, it is clear there can be debate.
In the one of the two girls, I don’t see the issue, apart from a potential GDPR issue.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2019, 04:59:51 pm »

? Embarrassing situation?
I don’t see it to be honest.

In the first picture, it is clear there can be debate.
In the one of the two girls, I don’t see the issue, apart from a potential GDPR issue.

That's because you're from EU.

It's not very dignified. Think of it this way: what if the women were well-known female politicians or highly regarded, well-respected world-leaders, perhaps Michelle Obama. Would it still be valid?
Regards,
~ O ~

elliot_n

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2019, 05:30:55 pm »

It's not very dignified.

I can't see it either (I'm from the EU). In what way is it undignified?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2019, 05:35:29 pm »

Oscar, what are you talking about?

Peter McLennan

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2019, 07:27:29 pm »

Though you obviously wouldn't mention it, the problem with the "bakery" is that not a lot's going down, and the best thing for it would have been to crop into it a bit (lot) and concentrate the shot on the cat, guy and the word. Some less-than-straight printing processing could have brought the three features out and created a link of sorts, if only through their relative brightness against a darkened backdrop, making the subliminal idea of a collective hunger seem the point.
P.P.S.

Rob, that's some of the most honest, helpful criticism I've received. Thank you. 
I'll get back to work on this image with your suggestions top of mind.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2019, 07:39:24 pm »

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Ivophoto

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2019, 01:19:22 am »

It's not very dignified. Think of it this way: what if the women were well-known female politicians or highly regarded, well-respected world-leaders, perhaps Michelle Obama. Would it still be valid?

I lost you completely, my fault probably. Explain a bit further?

If it was Michelle Obama I’m sure she got enough media training to make the casual look amazing. Nothing much real to snap.

Ivophoto

Respect for subjects and society.
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2019, 01:29:26 am »

I will explain why I used the gay pride  picture.

The topics title is :respect for subjects and society.

The picture plays on both fields: Subjects and a social theme. What is the most relevant? What is the reason to exist for this picture? Is it how the subjects are pictured (and the politician not very flattering) or is it the social critic?

I don’t see anything obtrusive in the Starbucks girl picture.

Question: should photography be respectful to society?

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2019, 06:55:33 am »

I lost you completely, my fault probably. Explain a bit further?

If it was Michelle Obama I’m sure she got enough media training to make the casual look amazing. Nothing much real to snap.

Okay, so think of it in a general sense. What if you have a compromising picture, or at least, a picture with a less than flattering narrative, of recognisable individuals. The image itself may be a great narrative storytelling image, but it puts the subject in possibly inappropriate footlight. It may rub off on a client who is also in the picture.

Are you going to publish the picture without consent on the basis of "art > privacy"?
Regards,
~ O ~

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2019, 06:59:05 am »

Question: should photography be respectful to society?

It should at least try to be respectful to the audience, which are generally exponents of society. If you want people to take the time and effort to look at and think through your image, it helps tremendously to be at least somewhat respectful to society. If you're not respectful to society, you shouldn't be surprised if your imaging is ignored, or worse, you get prosecuted.
Regards,
~ O ~

rabanito

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2019, 07:17:23 am »

If you're not respectful to society, you shouldn't be surprised if your imaging is ignored, or worse, you get prosecuted.

Or stoned.  ;)

I remember being at La Quiaca where there was a market going. No money involved, just exchange

I went to one of the kolla women there and gave her a broad smile (I have a nice smile) and asked her for permission to take some pictures of her and her surroundings.

She indicated some Lama excrements on the ground and explained "Last time there came some gringos who began to take pictures. We chased them with that. To those that didn't go, we chased with that"
And showed me a pile of big stones.

I continued doing landscapes there  ;D

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2019, 07:49:28 am »

It should at least try to be respectful to the audience, which are generally exponents of society. If you want people to take the time and effort to look at and think through your image, it helps tremendously to be at least somewhat respectful to society. If you're not respectful to society, you shouldn't be surprised if your imaging is ignored, or worse, you get prosecuted.

Is book burning a thing again?

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2019, 08:09:37 am »

Is book burning a thing again?

Not sure, but then, digital bits don't generally burn like a good old wooden cross will...

https://stock.adobe.com/ee/editorial/pictures-of-the-year-a-picture-and-its-story/238535268
Regards,
~ O ~
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up