Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon R user experiences  (Read 898 times)

sdwilsonsct

Canon R user experiences
« on: December 25, 2018, 11:57:01 am »

It’s a perfectly good camera. I shoot mostly landscapes and have been using it for about a month.

I don’t really care that the R is mirrorless. I wanted a body compatible with my Canon lenses, with a decent sensor, and with a tilting screen. OTOH mirrorless is handy because the electronic viewfinder displays the histogram before the shot, and the image and data after the shot.

I use a tilting screen because many of my compositions are taken from down low. The tilting screen seems robust enough, and flips out easily even when I am using gloves.

I initially got a Sony a7iii because I enjoy using Sony 1” and APS-C cameras, but that didn’t work out because the Metabones adapter seems to have destroyed the Sony camera. What I miss from the Sony: the joy stick, IBIS, an ability to gather my menu selections in one place, and zebras. Zebras are brilliant.

The Canon has a couple of advantages over the Sony. The tilting screen can be used vertically. There is a small screen on the top of the camera. Canon lenses work via a Canon adapter, and no third-party adapter is needed.

The function bar works fine, even with gloves. Mine controls ISO. I use the front dial for shutter speed, and back dial for aperture. So all exposure controls are handy.

So the R is a fine body if you want to use your Canon lenses.

Rado

Re: Canon R user experiences
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 04:03:35 pm »

I haven't had my R out in the wild yet (I need to get an L bracket first) but I've used it for portraits both with natural light and studio strobes and the camera works well for that.

The AF is fast and accurate and using the touchscreen feels very natural. In fact I've reverted to having AF on the shutter button on the R instead of my normal backbutton AF setup. I just keep my thumb on the touchscreen and move the AF point where I want it continuously. No more focus and recompose. Hence I don't miss a joystick.

The function bar I'm neutral about. I have it set to control ISO too but eh, I don't think it's something I'd miss.

What I definitely plan to buy is the EF adapter with the additional function ring and probably also the one with filters (that one seems to be way overpriced though).

IBIS would have been nice. What do you mean about gathering your menu selections? You can make custom menus on the R and pick and choose what settings should be there.

What I really miss from my Canon DSLRs is built in GPS. The 6Ds have GPS, 5D4 has GPS... what happened there, Canon?

sdwilsonsct

Re: Canon R user experiences
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 07:28:24 pm »

What do you mean about gathering your menu selections? You can make custom menus on the R and pick and choose what settings should be there.

Yes, you're right. I should have written that I prefer Sony's implementation. In Sony the selections appear across the bottom of the live view, instead of in a separate, black window, as in Canon. And I prefer Sony's location of the button to call up the selections.
Pages: [1]   Go Up