Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metabones failure  (Read 888 times)

sdwilsonsct

Metabones failure
« on: November 04, 2018, 10:53:09 am »

I bought a Metabones to use Canon lenses on a new Sony A7iii. It stopped working on the third day. The camera doesn’t read aperture. The LED on the Metabones is unlit.

The Metabones contacts look like they are out of alignment with the camera flange, and a contact pin in the camera mount seems to be missing. If correct, then the Metabones not only failed, it damaged the camera.

The reviews at B&H photo report similar problems. I wish I had read these before ordering.

I like the Sony a lot, but am now thinking that an EOS R would be more reliable with Canon lenses.

Hopefully Henrys will be helpful with a replacement since I bought these together.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: Metabones failure
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 07:49:48 pm »

I had the same issue with a different (Viltrox?) adapter.  It sheared off a pin on the camera.  I had the camera repaired under warranty and threw out the adapter (it was old).  I do have 3 or 4 metabones that all work fine.

govindvkumar

• Passionate Nature and Wildlife Photographer
    • Photography Axis
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 10:05:33 am »

Better to get the contacts repaired and go for a Canon EOS R body and sell the metabones adapter
Nature and Wildlife photographer.
Photography Tips and Tutorials @
https://www.photographyaxis.com

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 10:52:22 am »

Better to get the contacts repaired and go for a Canon EOS R body and sell the metabones adapter

Henrys took back the broken A7iii and defective Metabones adapter, and the new EOS R had its first outing yesterday.

The R is not as easy to use as the A7iii, but it plays nicely with my Canon lenses. I'll review the R after I've used it a bit more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up