Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: A lack of civility...  (Read 6267 times)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
A lack of civility...
« on: December 13, 2018, 10:19:50 am »

A lack of civility...

Posting images is fine...once comments are offered, welcomed or not, it's social media. Battle lines are drawn, a very different thing than a discussion in the real world. The are no rules here in that regard. In live face to face forums that I have taken a part in, civility still stands. Too much craziness exists here because of the anonymity of too many of the participants. No real names, makes for an ugly discourse. To debate with people in a live setting is thrilling, educational and informative. One knows the the caliber of who stands in front of you. Not here. Here it all goes to crap…

Peter

Two23

Re: A lack of civility...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 10:32:27 am »

A lack of civility...

Posting images is fine...once comments are offered, welcomed or not, it's social media. Battle lines are drawn, a very different thing than a discussion in the real world. The are no rules here in that regard. In live face to face forums that I have taken a part in, civility still stands. Too much craziness exists here because of the anonymity of too many of the participants. No real names, makes for an ugly discourse. To debate with people in a live setting is thrilling, educational and informative. One knows the the caliber of who stands in front of you. Not here. Here it all goes to crap…

You make a good point, but I think it also depends on the individual.  I also think removing political discussions has reduced the overall toxicity.

Kent in SD
(a lesser member)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 10:36:19 am by Two23 »
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 11:05:36 am »

A lack of civility...

Peter

Peter, I agree with much you have said.

I too would be keen to see a real name policy and have called for such in the past only to be told it would be unworkable.

That said, many folk here with something interesting to contribute already use real names or links to their work. I try to ignore the anonymous, particularly snipers. In reality and in truth there's plenty of sniping between those who I know and admire.

;-)

stamper

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 11:17:31 am »

Peter, I agree with much you have said.

I too would be keen to see a real name policy and have called for such in the past only to be told it would be unworkable.

That said, many folk here with something interesting to contribute already use real names or links to their work. I try to ignore the anonymous, particularly snipers. In reality and in truth there's plenty of sniping between those who I know and admire.

;-)

I don't see your real name?

Two23

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 11:20:56 am »

Once upon a time, in the dawn of internet photography forums, I was active on the AOL Photo forum.  Being naive I used my real name.  There was a woman on the forum who was needing help with her photography, so I exchanged a number of emails with her in an innocent attempt to help.  Slowly I began to realize she was a crazy person.  Really, really crazy.  She mistook my photography advice as a sign I truly loved her.  Made no difference that I was happily married--my wife would "understand" and step aside.  I told (not asked) her twice to stop emailing me and further emails would be quickly deleted.  That night my home phone rang--it was her!  She also had found my home address and was leaving her home in Californy in the morning and driving to my house.  I told her if she showed up I would call the police, and to never call again.  Needless to say I was a bit worried.  What if she really did come, and my wife answered the door?  It would not be pretty.  I saw my next door neighbor out in the yard the next evening and he asked me how things were going.  I told him that if he ever saw a car with California plates sitting in my drive way and a  crazy looking woman sitting on my porch to go get his deer rifle.  "Shoot her, " I said.  We'll claim you were cleaning it and it accidentally went off.  He nodded and replied, "Will do."

The crazy woman never showed up, but I haven't put my last name out on the internet since.  My name really is "Kent," and I really do live in South Dakota.  And, I really do own a deer rifle.

Kent in SD
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 11:31:52 am by Two23 »
miserere nobis.

KLaban

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 11:30:38 am »

I don't see your real name?

Stop sniping.

My name is K. Laban and there's a link to my website with every post.

KLaban

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 11:33:55 am »

Once upon a time, in the dawn of internet photography forums, I was active on the AOL Photo forum.  Being naive I used my real name.  There was a woman on the forum who was needing help with her photography, so I exchanged a number of emails with her in an innocent attempt to help.  Slowly I began to realize she was a crazy person.  Really, really crazy.  She mistook my photography advice as a sign I truly loved her.  Made no difference that I was happily married--my wife would "understand" and step aside.  I told (not asked) her twice to stop emailing me and further emails would be quickly deleted.  That night my home phone rang--it was her!  She also had found my home address and was leaving her home in Californy in the morning and driving to my house.  I told her if she showed up I would call the police, and to never call again.  Needless to say I was a bit worried.  What if she really did come, and my wife answered the door?  It would not be pretty.  I saw my next door neighbor out in the yard the next evening and he asked me how things were going.  I told him that if he ever saw a car with California plates sitting in my drive way and a  crazy looking woman sitting on my porch to go get his deer rifle.  "Shoot her, " I said.  We'll claim you were cleaning it and it accidentally went off.  He nodded and replied, "Will do."

The crazy woman never showed up, but I haven't put my last name out on the internet since.  My name really is "Kent," and I really do live in South Dakota.  And, I really do own a deer rifle.

Kent in SD

I'm just the opposite, I won't post anything on the internet without a link to my identity.

Two23

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 11:35:38 am »

I'm just the opposite, I won't post anything on the internet without a link to my identity.

Good luck! ;D

Kent in SD
miserere nobis.

stamper

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 11:43:58 am »

Stop sniping.

[/quoteElan Medi
Stop sniping.

[/quote
Stop sniping.

You started the sniping. Even if everybody stated their real name you still would't know who you are relating to. By your own admission you admit you have been told it is unworkable. How do the members know that Keith Laban is your real name? :-\

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 01:09:10 pm »

I also think removing political discussions has reduced the overall toxicity.

It certainly has; and it's reduced my workload quite considerably too.

It would, for the reason that stamper has, somewhat unsubtly, illustrated. There are ways of verifying identities, of course, but they're expensive and time-consuming, and also pretty easy to evade.

My policy is to be considerably less lenient with anyone who posts anonymously and comes close to overstepping a boundary.

Jeremy

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 02:01:01 pm »

I'd add to that: those who refuse to tell us generally where they are -- at least which continent, and who refuse to tell us how old they are. It's usually not difficult to determine at least the intellectual age of a poster, but it would help to know his physical age too.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

jeremyrh

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 02:18:19 pm »

I'd add to that: those who refuse to tell us generally where they are -- at least which continent, and who refuse to tell us how old they are. It's usually not difficult to determine at least the intellectual age of a poster, but it would help to know his physical age too.

I think people beyond a certain age should not be allowed to vote, since they have increasingly little to lose by making bad choices. Perhaps the same rule can be applied to posting on Lula?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 02:31:51 pm »

I think people beyond a certain age should not be allowed to vote, since they have increasingly little to lose by making bad choices. Perhaps the same rule can be applied to posting on Lula?

You are certainly allowed to hold that opinion. It stands every bit as much chance of being implemented.

Jeremy

KLaban

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 02:45:37 pm »

My policy is to be considerably less lenient with anyone who posts anonymously and comes close to overstepping a boundary.

Jeremy

And that is as good as we can hope for. Statement, not question.

jeremyrh

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2018, 02:50:00 pm »

You are certainly allowed to hold that opinion. It stands every bit as much chance of being implemented.

Jeremy

I don't doubt it. Which doesn't make either idea a bad one.

KLaban

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 03:01:47 pm »

...My policy is to be considerably less lenient with anyone who posts anonymously and comes close to overstepping a boundary.

Jeremy

I believe it was Michael who wished for a real name policy but realised it would be too difficult to police.

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2018, 03:02:56 pm »

Quite right; experience is impediment.

I love the idea of a novice cardiologist next time I have an "event"!

But that's nothing: Sky's Business slot tonight showed the new Lexus commercial made via artificial intelligence. The nice young lady from the agency refuted the notion that the creatives should feel threatened; my impression of the client was that he felt very pleased the way things were going... I wonder what that portends.

Soon, neither the young nor the old will have rôles to play; I wonder how things will be financed when nobody has to work, when nobody can work because they are human and fallible. Will the machines reproduce and maintain themselves? Will they even bother, since nobody will be around to use the products?

Imagine a time when every day will be like the weekend, with nobody off the streets at work, everywhere crowded out and no space to park your ass.  Arnie, we'll need you back! You promised!

:-)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 03:11:23 pm by Rob C »

rabanito

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2018, 03:10:09 pm »

I don't see the advantage of posting under the real name. Nor continent nor language.
The disadvantages could be many, since you risk being catalogued after the prejudices of other participants and not treated as equal.
Be your name Henri Cartier Bresson or Idi Amin Dada.
If you are just a number, you can be judged only by what you say or what pictures you post.

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2018, 03:16:33 pm »

I don't see the advantage of posting under the real name. Nor continent nor language.
The disadvantages could be many, since you risk being catalogued after the prejudices of other participants and not treated as equal.
Be your name Henri Cartier Bresson or Idi Amin Dada.
If you are just a number, you can be judged only by what you say or what pictures you post.

My favourite number was 13, in House: Olivia Wilde.

jeremyrh

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2018, 03:41:09 pm »

The disadvantages could be many,

After posting on another (non-photo) forum, some other members found photos of my family and posted them, and posted items relating to my workplace. If someone wants to find out who I am, it's not hard, but I'm not a fan of using my real name here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up