Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One V. 12: Don't "Try It"  (Read 4406 times)

hubell

Capture One V. 12: Don't "Try It"
« on: November 30, 2018, 10:56:58 am »

For anyone who has C1 v. 11 or prior versions and might be thinking of downloading a 30 day trial of v. 12 to check it out, don’t do it. I owned and was using C1 v. 10 and decided to check out v. 11 a few weeks ago, so I downloaded what Phase One advertised was a free trial copy for 30 days. I tried it and didn’t see any justification for spending the money on that upgrade. However, when I went to start using my copy of v. 10 again, I could no longer open my Catalog. The way Capture One is configured, once the Catalog is used with a newer version of Capture One, it no longer opens with earlier versions. I had no choice at that point but to pay the “ransom” of $105 to upgrade so I could again get back to work and use my Catalog. No warnings about this from Phase One, nothing. What an incredibly deceptive business practice. Tricking someone into believing they were offering a free trial. Of course, to add insult to injury, 6 weeks later, Phase releases yet another new version of C1. Free upgrade? No! Strict 30 day rule. Free upgrade only if you purchased within the last 30 days, even if they essentially forced you to buy the prior upgrade. Nice company to do business with.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
Re: Capture One V. 12: Don't "Try It"
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 11:08:06 am »

This is pretty normal for software developers to need to upgrade the database.

I'm currently running both 11.3.1 and 12.0.0 with no problems - but I work in sessions

A
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 11:19:31 am »

You don't have a back of your catalogue ?

A bit risky.

hubell

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 11:40:41 am »

You don't have a back of your catalogue ?

A bit risky.

I do, but a lot of editing work was done from the time of the last backup and the decision to revert to v. 10 and skip the upgrade. Moreover, there was no explanation that I could just go use a prior backup of my Catalog. Phase should have provided some sort of warning and advice about the need for an up to date backup or a copy of the catalog to use for the trial copy of the new version. Instead, the system is rigged to force those who don't know better to pay the ransom and continue to work.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 11:57:01 am »

I am definately going to try it. But I definately will not be upgrading my catalogue to V12 until I’m certain I will be sticking to the upgrade.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Kiwi Paul

• My flickr
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 12:31:24 pm »

I upgraded to V12 but although it upgraded the Catalog I'm sure it made a backup of the old Catalog first.
After registering V12 you can't use V11 on the same computer as the licence gets transferred to V12 and V11 becomes a trial version.
Sony A7R3 + FE 12-24, 24-105, 70-300
Sony RX100 Mk6

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 01:11:56 pm »

For anyone who has C1 v. 11 or prior versions and might be thinking of downloading a 30 day trial of v. 12 to check it out, don’t do it. I owned and was using C1 v. 10 and decided to check out v. 11 a few weeks ago, so I downloaded what Phase One advertised was a free trial copy for 30 days. I tried it and didn’t see any justification for spending the money on that upgrade. However, when I went to start using my copy of v. 10 again, I could no longer open my Catalog. The way Capture One is configured, once the Catalog is used with a newer version of Capture One, it no longer opens with earlier versions. I had no choice at that point but to pay the “ransom” of $105 to upgrade so I could again get back to work and use my Catalog. No warnings about this from Phase One, nothing. What an incredibly deceptive business practice. Tricking someone into believing they were offering a free trial. Of course, to add insult to injury, 6 weeks later, Phase releases yet another new version of C1. Free upgrade? No! Strict 30 day rule. Free upgrade only if you purchased within the last 30 days, even if they essentially forced you to buy the prior upgrade. Nice company to do business with.
So the the software didn't warn you it was going to update the catalog (an indication that earlier versions wouldn’t deal with the upgraded catalog)? If so, that indeed is unacceptable.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Manoli

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 01:28:52 pm »

So the the software didn't warn you it was going to update the catalog (an indication that earlier versions wouldn’t deal with the upgraded catalog)? If so, that indeed is unacceptable.

... and Lightroom does ?

Got sympathy for the OP but it's not unreasonable for Phase to expect that their users would be somewhat computer savvy. Performing a full backup before any upgrade is one of the first 'best practice' lessons taught.

Something akin to brushing your teeth before you go to bed ...

Anyway, it's a moot point 'cos CaptireOne doesn't install OVER the previous installation, but performs its own clean install.  I only use sessions, so I cant check but I'm pretty darn sure the install program would have made a backup copy of the previous catalog somewhere ...

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 01:31:45 pm »

... and Lightroom does ?
Yes, it does thanks for asking. AND it upgrades while keeping the OLD catalog intact:
When you upgrade to a new version of Lightroom and open a catalog from an older version, Lightroom upgrades the catalog automatically. The old catalog remains untouched. The new, updated catalog contains all of the metadata associated with the previous catalog and photos.
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/catalog-faq-lightroom.html

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 01:34:39 pm »

...Got sympathy for the OP but it's not unreasonable for Phase to expect that their users would be somewhat computer savvy.
It's not unreasonable for Phase to pop a warning dialog and inform the user either. Hardly big engineering!  ;)

IanSeward

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 01:37:15 pm »

I upgraded to V12 but although it upgraded the Catalog I'm sure it made a backup of the old Catalog first.
After registering V12 you can't use V11 on the same computer as the licence gets transferred to V12 and V11 becomes a trial version.

Yes, it flashes up a message to that effect even with sessions. I guess the OP missed it. All he needs to do is go looking for the backup.

Ian

Rhossydd

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 01:41:15 pm »

and on Windows 7 you get:

Manoli

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 01:42:00 pm »

Yes, it does thanks for asking. AND it upgrades while keeping the OLD catalog intact:

Duh! Yes, my point exactly

" ... it's a moot point 'cos CaptireOne doesn't install OVER the previous installation, but performs its own clean install.  I only use sessions, so I cant check but I'm pretty darn sure the install program would have made a backup copy of the previous catalog somewhere ... "

Has the OP checked in his catalog directory for a backup copy ?

Edit:
Rhossyd has given us the answer above

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 01:51:02 pm »

Duh! Yes, my point exactly
Your point was what? I simply asked the OP to clarify (notice my IF statement). Then you asked about LR which now you know, doesn't overwrite the older catalog and indeed pops a warning.
Now the bit about transferring the license is IMHO silly but then folks can bitch and moan about subscriptions (in which if you cease subscribing, all modules expect Develop and Map's still work) even though one can upgrade to V6 of LR with a perpetual license.
Has the OP checked? Don't know. But you now know how LR handles this process.  ;)

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 01:54:13 pm »

Just to mention I have both versions installed.  Version 11 and the trial version 12.
When installing version (trial) 12 it asked if I wanted to replace current version.
Of course I didn't.  Now I have both versions installed.

So no issues as far as I can tell having both versions.
You just can't open both at the same time.

Cheers!

nemtom

• Tamas Nemeth
    • 500 px gallery
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2018, 02:38:01 pm »

This is false information. You will find the backup database intact under the Catalogs folder / package, so you can replace the upgraded version of the catalog database with the old version, which makes it possible to roll back to that previous version of Capture One with that database.
See a quick demo where I upgrade a Catalog from 11 to 12, and then roll back to 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A071cM1xMY0

hubell

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2018, 03:01:02 pm »

With Lightroom, I have a folder that contains my Lightroom Catalogs going back to V. 3. When a new Catalog is created, that's where it goes. I have no clue where the Capture One Catalogs go. More to the point, why when I clicked on C1 v. 10 after trying v. 11 would v. 10 not open the backed up copy of the v. 10 Catalog? When I click on v. 10, it says it can't open because "There are No Recent Catalogs or Sessions."
I should not have to open a Support Case to address an issue like this. Phase should include a very clear explanation for existing users of C1 that download a trial that states (1) what happens to your existing catalog when you start the free trial and (2) what you should do to revert to your prior version of C1 if you decide NOT to buy the new version.

Ray Harrison

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2018, 03:39:31 pm »

With Lightroom, I have a folder that contains my Lightroom Catalogs going back to V. 3. When a new Catalog is created, that's where it goes. I have no clue where the Capture One Catalogs go. More to the point, why when I clicked on C1 v. 10 after trying v. 11 would v. 10 not open the backed up copy of the v. 10 Catalog? When I click on v. 10, it says it can't open because "There are No Recent Catalogs or Sessions."
I should not have to open a Support Case to address an issue like this. Phase should include a very clear explanation for existing users of C1 that download a trial that states (1) what happens to your existing catalog when you start the free trial and (2) what you should do to revert to your prior version of C1 if you decide NOT to buy the new version.

Certainly, Phase should be clear on what they're doing with data and throw in a (very easy to code) popup warning about what's about to happen. I generally create a new catalog when I install a new version, but either wasn't paying attention or they didn't specify on the Mac install for the 12 betas about the backup+overwrite. Thankfully, I've been burned enough on software over the years to not touch any new stuff without a backup first. I had my own separate one, plus, as it turns out, Phase's own catalog backup, so I was good.

For your catalog backup location, it is in your general preferences tab. Are you able to get a refund?

Rhossydd

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2018, 03:58:03 pm »

Certainly, Phase should be clear on what they're doing with data and throw in a (very easy to code) popup warning about what's about to happen.
They do. I posted the screen shot above.

Sorry, but the OP's issue is just user error, nothing terrible is being done by Phase One here.

Ray Harrison

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2018, 04:59:32 pm »

They do. I posted the screen shot above.

Sorry, but the OP's issue is just user error, nothing terrible is being done by Phase One here.

I'm not suggesting they are doing anything terrible, merely relating my particular experience, albeit with beta on my machine. I am saying two things: (1) I didn't see such a message with the first beta install on my Mac (I'm not surprised - it's a beta - and I'm also not ignoring my own pilot error as I may have missed it for whatever reason - happens to me all the time  :)) and (2) Do backups before moving to something new. And maybe really three things -  (3) understand the tools we use more - for example, where in settings the backup directory is listed as that could have potentially saved the OP some money.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 05:13:02 pm by Ray Harrison »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up