Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Museum in Nimes, France  (Read 8461 times)

Rob C

Re: Museum in Nimes, France
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2018, 02:54:17 pm »

I prefer anything goes threads with no tightly defined categories, such as the following.

undefined

;-)

Wow! That would be a tough one to which to contribute! I guess #16 material would be as close as one could get to fitting into it without a great deal of conscience searching...

:-)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2018, 11:36:15 pm »

Apropos Rob’s 18 “orderly, natural and facilitatory cataloguing of genres”... here is the problem: given that there are exactly 8.5 regular posters on LuLa, that would leave 9.5 threads orphans at any given time. Not good for Lula’s reputation for diversity and inclusion.

Ivophoto

« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2018, 02:05:29 am »

Lula’s reputation for diversity and inclusion.

This are ‘the’ keywords of this year at the local psychiatric hospital.

Rob C

« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2018, 04:46:55 am »

Apropos Rob’s 18 “orderly, natural and facilitatory cataloguing of genres”... here is the problem: given that there are exactly 8.5 regular posters on LuLa, that would leave 9.5 threads orphans at any given time. Not good for Lula’s reputation for diversity and inclusion.

A typical accountancy mistake, closely related to the bad logic that suggests that playing the lottery is nonsensical when, as we know, somebody always ends up scooping it up. If you would like me to illustrate an example of poor, very bad logic, consider this: you join a club, stay there paying your dues for forty years or so, then, one day, in a fit of pique you decide to ask your dog for advice. The dog yawns, licks its ass and and you take that as a sign that you must quit. You hand in your resignation, then ask the Board of Directors if you can still use their car park and restrooms. They say, no, we are really sorry, but you are no longer a member, and all those privileges you enjoyed for forty years are no longer yours. You go home and shoot the dog. That is a example of poor thinking.

Now, those 8.5 regular members registering on the Richter scale - are there really so few, or is it just another cheap mathematical trick? - might well be pretty versatile souls, posting all over the place. This would render random sampling just, well, random, and not worth that proverbial, and soon to very expensive, hill of beans.

Furthermore, those activist posters make up a tiny fraction of the several hundred visitors to the site, many of whom may well start at A and read all the way through to Z, both A and Z included, whereas a dedicated visitor such as I would perhaps never do that, avoiding certain sections like the plague.

Orphan threads, unlike orphan works, still have rights, even if not active parents!

;-)

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2018, 05:00:22 am »

I got a bit tired of the incessant circular arguments about genres and no longer post so if this issue was not so contentious you would have 9,5 people posting. Not saying my work is so valuable and good but if it put me off it might have put others off as well and they may have quality work.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2018, 05:40:23 am »

I got a bit tired of the incessant circular arguments about genres and no longer post so if this issue was not so contentious you would have 9,5 people posting. Not saying my work is so valuable and good but if it put me off it might have put others off as well and they may have quality work.

Martin, please,  ignore the bean counters and those who seek to categorise the beans and post some more excellent work.

Ivophoto

« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2018, 08:22:17 am »

I miss your work, Martin.

faberryman

« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2018, 08:26:46 am »

Martin, please,  ignore the bean counters and those who seek to categorise the beans and post some more excellent work.
Drawn by the name of the forum - Luminous Landscape - I came here for the landscape and related medium format discussion. I'm ambivalent about adding a bunch of categories to the galleries. But if you are going to have them, don't put anyone in charge of policing them.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 10:15:08 am by faberryman »

Ivophoto

« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2018, 08:35:36 am »

A typical accountancy mistake, closely related to the bad logic that suggests that playing the lottery is nonsensical when, as we know, somebody always ends up scooping it up. If you would like me to illustrate an example of poor, very bad logic, consider this: you join a club, stay there paying your dues for forty years or so, then, one day, in a fit of pique you decide to ask your dog for advice. The dog yawns, licks its ass and and you take that as a sign that you must quit. You hand in your resignation, then ask the Board of Directors if you can still use their car park and restrooms. They say, no, we are really sorry, but you are no longer a member, and all those privileges you enjoyed for forty years are no longer yours. You go home and shoot the dog. That is a example of poor thinking.

Now, those 8.5 regular members registering on the Richter scale - are there really so few, or is it just another cheap mathematical trick? - might well be pretty versatile souls, posting all over the place. This would render random sampling just, well, random, and not worth that proverbial, and soon to very expensive, hill of beans.

Furthermore, those activist posters make up a tiny fraction of the several hundred visitors to the site, many of whom may well start at A and read all the way through to Z, both A and Z included, whereas a dedicated visitor such as I would perhaps never do that, avoiding certain sections like the plague.

Orphan threads, unlike orphan works, still have rights, even if not active parents!

;-)

About bad logic....

It reminds me to a trip on a vacation in Greece.

After 4 hours driving with a Jeep we arrived at a kind of circular pavement about 25cm high.
The guide assembled the group around the brick and told use, on a sacred tone, once this was the highest Corinthian column in the world. The entire group, including myself gazed to nothing high in the sky.

After a few minutes gazing in the sky(somebody took a picture of the sky) I realized it was a ripoff to pay the 30€ for that trip and I wished I would have stayed on the pool gazing at the buttocks of pretty Greek girls.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2018, 08:39:13 am »

There are perfectly good "catch-all" categories for those of us who don't enjoy bickering about categories: User Critiques if you want critiques, and Without Prejudice if you don't want critiques.

You can, of course, also post in Pink Marbles Showcase or any other thread if you happen to feel like it.

Or you can keep on bickering about genres and categories if that is more important to you than making photographs.

[/rant]
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Ivophoto

« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2018, 08:44:48 am »

But if you are going to have them, don't put anyone in charge of policing them.

It will not take long until it is guarded by a voluntary topic surveillance.

Ivophoto

« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2018, 08:48:29 am »

There are perfectly good "catch-all" categories for those of us who don't enjoy bickering about categories: User Critiques if you want critiques, and Without Prejudice if you don't want critiques.

You can, of course, also post in Pink Marbles Showcase or any other thread if you happen to feel like it.

Or you can keep on bickering about genres and categories if that is more important to you than making photographs.

[/rant]

I prefer making pictures and put them in a well choose thread to emphasize the alienating effect and give something to bicker about.

Rob C

« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2018, 08:48:40 am »

Drawn by the name of the forum - Luminous Landscape - I came hear for the landscape and related medium format discussion. I'm ambivalent about adding a bunch of categories to the galleries. But if you are going to have them, don't put anyone in charge of policing them.

I'm a bit ambivalent too, and having strong opinions on both -or even all - sides of every argument (because I have ever realised that no side holds the absolute moral high ground, about which ground I hold a further ambivalent view) it behoves me to think that categories are still preferable to absolute meyhem, for which a site already exists, though it appeals mainly to models - of one sort or the other. (Though of course, there may be more than two categories. You see where disorder can tempt you: to the highly enjoyable moral depths!)

I agree absolutely about having no supercop in charge. It will be a far better fate to leave that open to the self-discipline of a discerning forum of posters and earnest artists. Everybody knows how much artists love one another, stepping aside to further the career of the other at every possible opportunity. On the other hand, there's always the democratic option of holding a members' referendum, only members living in the Atacama Desert having the right to vote.

Rob
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 09:23:51 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2018, 09:15:31 am »

About bad logic....

It reminds me to a trip on a vacation in Greece.

After 4 hours driving with a Jeep we arrived at a kind of circular pavement about 25cm high.
The guide assembled the group around the brick and told use, on a sacred tone, once this was the highest Corinthian column in the world. The entire group, including myself gazed to nothing high in the sky.

After a few minutes gazing in the sky(somebody took a picture of the sky) I realized it was a ripoff to pay the 30€ for that trip and I wished I would have stayed on the pool gazing at the buttocks of pretty Greek girls.

I understand absolutely the value of absolutes. The tallest column is always the tallest column until it's not. There is also the problem (or value?) of relativity: is the Eiffel in Paris -  une tour de très grande hauteur - less or more worthy than the younger one in Las Vegas? They are, presumably, both considered female, so all manner of subsequent relativities comes into play: the grand old dame vs the honey dripper? Place your bets, gentlemen.

But regarding your photograph of the missing column (I know it was you that shot it!) and present sky: my very most popular image - in the sense of number of sales, not bucks earned - during my years with the Tony Stone Worldwide agency in London was a Kodachrome of the Temple of Athena in Rhodes. A few columns, some blocks on the ground and weeds, and zero temple! And lots of sky, proving again the value of Bing Crosby and old cowboy songs about fences and unlimited horizons, brough back to my memory thanks to a recent post from Madrid about an English lady photographer. (I mean the photographer was a well-travelled English lady.) The Greeks were never really dumb; they even had a word for it.

As an aside on buying photographs: who would have guessed that a company would decide a travel document was actually a travel atmospheric and put it on a poster? This further complicates the problem of slots, where I guess the Grand Canyon would reign undisputedly unless those African fans of the Rift Valley were to hear about it.

Now wonder sleep can be a difficult challenge.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 09:25:06 am by Rob C »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2018, 09:52:58 am »

... I agree absolutely about having no supercop in charge...

Who needs a cop, let alone a super cop, when we already have a George Zimmerman?  ;)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2018, 10:15:37 am »

I got a bit tired of the incessant circular arguments about genres and no longer post...

Hence my proposal to have only one Showcase forum, where anyone can start a thread on any subject, theme, genre, etc. The threads can be individual or open.

The already existing forum User Critiques would stay, for its specific purpose.

But, apparently, only one member has been enthusiastic about the proposal so far.

faberryman

« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2018, 10:16:48 am »

Who needs a cop, let alone a super cop, when we already have a George Zimmerman?  ;)
There are a few of those around here.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2018, 10:28:28 am »

Hence my proposal to have only one Showcase forum, where anyone can start a thread on any subject, theme, genre, etc. The threads can be individual or open.

The already existing forum User Critiques would stay, for its specific purpose.

But, apparently, only one member has been enthusiastic about the proposal so far.

That would only work for me if the attachment images would be available as small thumbs in for example the "most recent posts" list. That way you can filter more quickly for whatever "genre" one might be interested in at that moment.

In addition, with current active contributer numbers, any solution works, but does it also "scale" well?
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2018, 10:49:11 am »

Thank you to those who said they would like me to post. I assure you I didn’t comment here in order to get this reaction from people. I am a very active photographer and meet regularly with various photographers to discuss and show work and also post on my website and on Insta. My point is if one place becomes tedious or unpleasant there are so many other places more encouraging where you can go. That was what happened here.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Rob C

« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2018, 11:08:48 am »

Thank you to those who said they would like me to post. I assure you I didn’t comment here in order to get this reaction from people. I am a very active photographer and meet regularly with various photographers to discuss and show work and also post on my website and on Insta. My point is if one place becomes tedious or unpleasant there are so many other places more encouraging where you can go. That was what happened here.

Lighten up Martin; we're just having some verbal amusement because the pictures have hit a boring, predictable patch of vignettes, blurs, chiaroscuros, selfies, less-than-Elliott Erwitt doggies, empty mannequins in windows, chain fences, sunsets, sunrises and whatevers. The lakes are ever lakes until global warming proves the Orange One mistaken, and the mountains will outlive us all, atom bombs, migrants, walls, Russian hackers and Middle Eastern enforced proselytization notwithstanding.

Better to write and elicit response  - pos or neg - that not write at all and just drift away to either a bottle or an endless sleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpsfu2EVPG8

;-)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up