Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Monochrome (is not always a black and white issue)  (Read 22639 times)

James Clark

Re: Monochrome (is not always a black and white issue)
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2018, 04:52:20 pm »

James, to which body model does that dash belong? I think I remember touches from my Humber of '74.

My wife and I fell in love with the Sunbeam Alpine which, in the States, was also known as the Tiger, but came with a huge American V8 block. The car was Rootes/Chrysler, but for some reason I think the V8 was from Ford, which sounded odd. Playboy gave a pink one to the Playmate of the Year. Anyway, she - my wife, not the Centrefold - took her father down to the dealership trying her magic on him, but to my vast disappointment he didn't bite! It would have been a far more pretty ride than our Hillman Imp.

Then, decades later, the owners of that dealership had become friends of ours out here in Spain, and the wife told us that she'd decided to keep the thing for herself, but that in no time at all she had to be rescued: the garage had forgotten to fill it with oil. I don't know if heads rolled or whether the car was killed.

:-)

It is indeed a Tiger, with a giant American V8 :)

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2018, 09:53:00 pm »

Thank-you Rob & James. Not trying to make this another "chain" thread, but the mention of V8 reminded me of this (a vintage fire truck, actually).

Rob C

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2018, 04:54:41 am »

Thank-you Rob & James. Not trying to make this another "chain" thread, but the mention of V8 reminded me of this (a vintage fire truck, actually).

Sure outguns the V8!

;-)

Rob C

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2018, 12:42:33 pm »

As remarked some time ago, I find myself increasingly unable to think of photography in terms of colour, regardless of subject - almost! I also think that the longer the lens used, the more likely I feel that colour would be the way that my mind would look at the thing. I guess it's got a lot to do with focussing down onto a more tightly framed subject where colour may be less of a distraction and, conversely, perhaps the point of the photograph. Anyway:

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2018, 01:58:41 pm »

As remarked some time ago, I find myself increasingly unable to think of photography in terms of colour, regardless of subject - almost! I also think that the longer the lens used, the more likely I feel that colour would be the way that my mind would look at the thing. I guess it's got a lot to do with focussing down onto a more tightly framed subject where colour may be less of a distraction and, conversely, perhaps the point of the photograph. Anyway:

I often find myself shooting a portrait focal length, though I hadn't really thought about the correlation between perspective and colour/monochrome. The following picture was taken at true telephoto length, however. The river was too deep to ford without filling my boots! Apologies if I've posted it before – I should keep better track of that.

Somewhere on the food chain.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2018, 02:20:09 pm »

I often find myself shooting a portrait focal length, though I hadn't really thought about the correlation between perspective and colour/monochrome. The following picture was taken at true telephoto length, however. The river was too deep to ford without filling my boots! Apologies if I've posted it before – I should keep better track of that.

Somewhere on the food chain.

I wouldn't worry, as far as I'm concerned you can post that image as many times as you like.

Rob C

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2018, 02:25:13 pm »

Lovely treatment! That fish looks lethal even in death.

Focal length can also become habit: throughout my fashion years, despite having lenses from 24mm to 500mm, I would guess that my two most-used lenses for Nikon were the 35mm and 135mm, the former for full-length and even half-length model shots, the resulting distortion actually being a feature, which currently makes me scratch my head a little, the longer lens reserved mostly for headshots. That work was predominantly in black/white. My 50mm was practically virgin right until I disposed of all my 135 format equipment one mad day.

When I switched to calendars, I began to find myself slightly more fond of long lenses. The calendars were mostly colour, so perhaps the genre does really impact the choices made, for me, at any rate.

Today, the majority of the time I have the 50mm on my old cut-frame D200 (equiv. 75mm on FF) which seems to combine pretty well with my present way of thinking... that said, I wonder which the chicken and which the egg!

Rob

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2018, 03:01:21 pm »

Since so far (with 1 exception) only achromatics have been posted, I'll add a study in (mostly monochromatic) blues. Hope it sparks some more monochrome color posts.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 03:39:56 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

James Clark

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2018, 03:25:30 pm »

I can get down with that, Bart :)   Here's a recent commercial image from earlier this fall.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2018, 03:40:58 pm »

I can get down with that, Bart :)   Here's a recent commercial image from earlier this fall.

Subtle.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2018, 03:48:46 pm »

Monday Morning Blues:

Rob C

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2018, 04:45:07 pm »

Feels like cheating, somehow, but okay:

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2018, 05:35:42 pm »

Feels like cheating, somehow, but okay:

Thumbs up for your cheat.

BobDavid

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2018, 08:27:35 pm »

Very nice Eric. I know a place just like that, How uncanny. If only I can find it. In the meantime, here is my bw image:

JR

+1

John R

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2018, 09:32:07 am »

John R

« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2018, 09:35:44 am »

Yes Bart, if one can see and capture chromatic monotones, the rewards can be significant as your image shows. Here you go, whites with a hint of blue and green.

JR

Rob C

« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2018, 10:38:03 am »

Yes Bart, if one can see and capture chromatic monotones, the rewards can be significant as your image shows. Here you go, whites with a hint of blue and green.

JR

Would that be a tritone, then - as distinct from the Roman fountain?

;-)

Rob C

« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2018, 08:52:56 am »

And reverting to a black and white issue:

John R

« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2018, 09:17:24 am »

And reverting to a black and white issue:
You title it 'fence', but clearly it is about something mysterious lurking behind a fence, as seen through a fence. Fess up!

JR

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2018, 09:30:44 am »

You title it 'fence', but clearly it is about something mysterious lurking behind a fence, as seen through a fence. Fess up!

JR

He more or less already did previously. It's his ongoing feud with the hereafter.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up