Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: DxO PhotoLab 2 - any fans? detractors?  (Read 20805 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: DxO PhotoLab 2 - any fans? detractors?
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 09:04:58 am »

Sorry! sorry! sorry!!  Don't know what I was smoking when I typed my reply. It didn't open my files at all. Z7 support was announced for December but I didn't check if it arrived!!

ok, no worries, at least I know I am not crazy... ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2018, 08:36:21 pm »

It would be interesting to see if DXO will create its own lens profiles for the Nikon S Lenses (Nikon Z) or if they will use the lens correction data embedded in the raw file.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2018, 02:37:22 am »

It would be interesting to see if DXO will create its own lens profiles for the Nikon S Lenses (Nikon Z) or if they will use the lens correction data embedded in the raw file.

In fact 2.1 is supposed to support the Z7 and it now works after I rebooted my Mac, very strange.

Only the 24-70 f4 S seems to have a profile from what I can see.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 07:35:30 am by BernardLanguillier »

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 09:36:34 pm »

As I posted in a Nikon thread elsewhere, I love the colors and look I am getting for Z7 files with DxO PL 2.2.

This has become a very impressive and mature tool, possibly the best raw converter out there.

Cheers,
Bernard

Lightsmith

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2019, 01:41:30 pm »

With Photo Lab there is no function to resize and image except by exporting it. One of my first steps after opening a converted RAW file is to resize it so I am not working with extra pixels that are not needed for the final print(s). I also will take an image and size if for a print and then size it again  for a large Web file and size it again (go back to original file each time within the editor) for a small Web image file. This is a simple and quick process in Photoshop to create the different resolution files which includes different levels of sharpening on each one.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2019, 03:37:51 am »

I've been playing with the trial version for a couple of days. I tend to process my stuff with Nik programs anyway, so thought it might be a good move, but so far I'm struggling with the UI compared to Capture One. The biggest issue is highlight recovery - simple in Capture One, but in Photolab it seems I have to reduce exposure right down & then try to recover the shadows & mid-tones. Doesn't seem to work very intuitively or very well. Maybe I'm missing something.

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2019, 07:39:19 am »

I've been playing with the trial version for a couple of days. I tend to process my stuff with Nik programs anyway, so thought it might be a good move, but so far I'm struggling with the UI compared to Capture One. The biggest issue is highlight recovery - simple in Capture One, but in Photolab it seems I have to reduce exposure right down & then try to recover the shadows & mid-tones. Doesn't seem to work very intuitively or very well. Maybe I'm missing something.

I am still coming to grips/learning DxO PL2 but did you use and/or try the Smart Lighting and/or Selective Tone (as they refer to it/them)?

DxO online manual page

A collection of mine here http://500px.c

IanSeward

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2019, 08:21:55 am »

While wondering what to do with the money I may not spend on a C1 upgrade I came across the DxO website. I like the U-point interface, and the Nik plugins like Silver Efex and Viveza, but the general UI looks like a bit of a dog's breakfast.  Is it a viable replacement for Lightroom and CaptureOne, or will I buy it and then not have the energy(*) to master it?

(*) I recognise this is hard for you to judge :-)

There is a special offer on DXO-Photolab 2 at the moment for those interested.  $89 / £69 for the Elite edition.
https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2019/06/dxo-deal.html

Ian

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2019, 03:02:00 pm »

I am an 82 year old amateur. My more recent work was done with a Sony A7R II. I used mostly DXO to convert raw images and apply lens corrections. In December, I acquired a Fuji GFX 50R with 3 lenses. I make big prints (20"x30" with Sony, and 24"x32" with the Fuji).  My present work flow for Fugi RAF files is slow and cumbersome: Down load the day's shoot to my PC. Batch Convert in DNG converter. Delete the RAF files to save space, bring the batch processed DNGs into Bridge, select the ones I want to work on. Open Photoshop, and using their Camera Raw, process them (it automatically applies "cooked in" Fuji lens corrections).  I then  finish retouching etc in Photoshop, and print from Photoshop. I am wondering if Photolab 2  will directly process RAF files, and simplify my work flow, by eliminating the DNG conversion. Will it also allow ACR type corrections during the conversions, such as levels, curves, saturation? Thanks in advance.The ACR version I use is CS6 (not the subscription version, which does not support Fuji RAF )
Dave G in NJ
www.modernpictorials.com

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2019, 09:14:41 pm »

I wil answer my own question:

EDIT!!! I purchased DXO Photolab 2 and it works beautifully on GFX50R files (my 23mm lens and 32-64mm lens, but not yet my 100-200 lens ). The interface is the same as I am used to from my experience of many years with DXO Optics Pro. I plan to use DXO Photolab to develop my raw RAF files, but will still probably make final tweaks in Photoshop before printing. I have the free version of Capture 1 Express for Fuji, but I just cannot use it. I lose files in it not knowing where the program stuck them, and also have problems opening raw files because I cannot find them! (Senior Citizen thing!!)
Thanks all
Dave in NJ

bwana

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2019, 08:04:28 am »

I find it does the best job for my m4/3 files. The have a more natural and smoother look than LR Demosaicizing

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2019, 03:00:37 pm »

Looks like Version 3 is out, interesting video showing the new features here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=188&v=OKqTG7BmFJc
The HLS is pretty sweet.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Garnick

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2019, 11:37:36 am »

Looks like Version 3 is out, interesting video showing the new features here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=188&v=OKqTG7BmFJc
The HLS is pretty sweet.

Andrew,

Other than the topic in this thread (RAW Conversion), how would you assess the overall app as an everyday workflow with various image types etc.?  I have no experienced with the app, but I do intend to download the trial version and give it a road test.  And of course this question pertains to all who have contributed to this thread as well.  :) 
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2019, 11:51:45 am »

Haven't tried V3. Not sure I'll upgrade. And it's not my everyday raw converter but I will say that NR and lens correction is very impressive.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Garnick

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2019, 02:17:22 pm »

Haven't tried V3. Not sure I'll upgrade. And it's not my everyday raw converter but I will say that NR and lens correction is very impressive.

I would have been very surprised to find that IS your everyday raw converter, but I do appreciate your thoughts on NR and lens correction.

Thank you  :)  8)
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

RW_Hendricks

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2019, 08:50:23 pm »

DxO PL 3 has been released.

I find the perspective correction features to be superb. I have used them since PL 1.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2019, 01:32:18 pm »

I just used Photo Lab 2 and it DOES now "develop"  Fuji GFX RAF files. I am very pleased with the results. Here are two GFX 50R shots. 23mm lens ISO 400 about f13.
Dave in NJ

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2019, 01:35:01 pm »

Sorry- I could not figure out how to insert photos.
Dave

geneo

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2019, 10:40:44 pm »

Their feature upgrade prices seem steep to me for what you get. I wonder whether/how long they support previous versions after they release a feature upgrade.
Walk softly and carry a big lens

IanSeward

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2019, 01:11:36 pm »

Their feature upgrade prices seem steep to me for what you get. I wonder whether/how long they support previous versions after they release a feature upgrade.

It is normal practice for most software companies, now that a new version is released, then it is no longer supported.  They certainly wouldn't add new cameras for instance.  They have however, released an update for PL2 a few days ago although if you are using PL2 you have probably been notified if you have the check for new versions option ticked.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up