Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Quo Vadis, Coffee Corner  (Read 5255 times)

Two23

Re: Quo Vadis, Coffee Corner
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2018, 10:16:00 am »

Well, some thoughts.  I do like having a place to put "miscellaneous" posts.  It serves a purpose.  As for street photography, I do like it but people are correct when they say you really need access to a place to do it.  I'm limited in this small city, and most of my "street" shots come from visiting bigger cities.  Still enjoy the candidness though.  Cats & boobs--for a joke I wanted to take a close up photo of my cat lying between a pair, and post it here.  My cat was on board with the idea,  but when I approached my wife (who has the only boobs I have easy access to), I got that wordless frozen stare that husbands have come to know as "The Look." 

I do like the Photo Chain.  There have been some great photos.  I'm mostly interested to see how it morphs from day to day though.  Internet forums themselves?  I avoid the ones with politics.  They generally seem populated with strident people who are parroting back what they heard on their favorite partisan TV network.  There's rarely any original thought.  They, like most things in our culture at the moment, seem needlessly divisive.  Living in a small city in a relatively isolated region the internet gives me access to people and content I otherwise would not have.  True, few share my love of ancient cameras, early photo history, or photo'ing trains at night, but I & my assistant (Annie the Cat) enjoy representing my niche.

Kent in SD
(a lesser Lula member)

Below photo:
Annie inspects an 1895 rapid rectilinear lens made by
Alphonse Darlot, a man considered by some to be a boob.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 12:48:00 pm by Two23 »
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2018, 11:40:23 am »

I do like the Photo Chain...

Me too. I love the power we have to morph it towards our own idea of where it is we want it to go. I love the mind-set and mischief of the other contributors. Above all it's a bit of fun.

Ivophoto

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2018, 12:22:17 pm »

I got that wordless frozen stare that husbands have come to know as "The Look." 

Hahahahaha, man you made my day. This could be an episode of my life.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2018, 10:37:03 am »

That is certainly true.

As you know (or if you don't know, can easily find out), I wanted political discussions to take place, but to take place in an atmosphere of reasonableness and consideration. It didn't happen. Worse, the level of vitriol led to people being dissuaded from belonging to the other forums. That's why, with some reluctance, Kevin, Chris, Debra and I decided they had to stop.

Surely there must be things we can talk about other than photography and politics that can be discussed with restraint and civility.

I know - religion!  ;)

Jeremy

Or, ban the offending members for a certain period of time?

Rob C

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2018, 10:58:39 am »

Well, some thoughts.  I do like having a place to put "miscellaneous" posts.  It serves a purpose.  As for street photography, I do like it but people are correct when they say you really need access to a place to do it.  I'm limited in this small city, and most of my "street" shots come from visiting bigger cities.  Still enjoy the candidness though.  Cats & boobs--for a joke I wanted to take a close up photo of my cat lying between a pair, and post it here.  My cat was on board with the idea,  but when I approached my wife (who has the only boobs I have easy access to), I got that wordless frozen stare that husbands have come to know as "The Look." 

I do like the Photo Chain.  There have been some great photos.  I'm mostly interested to see how it morphs from day to day though.  Internet forums themselves?  I avoid the ones with politics.  They generally seem populated with strident people who are parroting back what they heard on their favorite partisan TV network.  There's rarely any original thought.  They, like most things in our culture at the moment, seem needlessly divisive.  Living in a small city in a relatively isolated region the internet gives me access to people and content I otherwise would not have.  True, few share my love of ancient cameras, early photo history, or photo'ing trains at night, but I & my assistant (Annie the Cat) enjoy representing my niche.

Kent in SD
(a lesser Lula member)

Below photo:
Annie inspects an 1895 rapid rectilinear lens made by
Alphonse Darlot, a man considered by some to be a boob.

Yes, I also live in the sticks, the space between two small towns: one, a tourist resort that closes in winter and that originally served as the fishing base for the second, the main town (also small) that sits a few klicks inland as defence against the old raids from Barbary Pirates. A watchtower on one of the peaks behind the bay would, on sighting enemy ships, have a smokey fire lit, giving the citizens of both places visible signal and time to retreat and arm themselves against the intruders.

It was a great place to be when I was working - beaches etc. close to hand without days of travel - and as long as my late wife was around, lots of happiness doing nothing when nothing was there to be done but enjoy the peace. Since her exit, the Internet has been a sort of lame substitute for conversation. I got myself a website, and that kept me busy for some time, scanning etc. but now, ten years single again this week, and the magic has gone and boredom sits heavy.

So here I find myself, punching the keys and growing bent double doing it. For what? The signs of repeat hooliganism and Luftwaffe caps and jackboots filling the shadows behind the monitor?

It doesn't make for optimism or offer encouragement to post much anymore. Everything changes.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2018, 12:14:21 pm »

Do some charity work.  Go help some one. Get off the computer.

Rob C

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2018, 12:55:55 pm »

Your third option makes the best sense; the other two make me uncertain just which side of the concepts I might/should really be standing - contributor or recipient?

:-)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2018, 01:32:44 pm »

Your third option makes the best sense; the other two make me uncertain just which side of the concepts I might/should really be standing - contributor or recipient?

(Sappiness alert!)

If you contribute, you receive.

(Sorry, could not stop myself.)  :)
--
Robert

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2018, 01:42:43 pm »

Yes, I also live in the sticks, the space between two small towns: one, a tourist resort that closes in winter and that originally served as the fishing base for the second, the main town (also small) that sits a few klicks inland as defence against the old raids from Barbary Pirates. A watchtower on one of the peaks behind the bay would, on sighting enemy ships, have a smokey fire lit, giving the citizens of both places visible signal and time to retreat and arm themselves against the intruders.

It was a great place to be when I was working - beaches etc. close to hand without days of travel - and as long as my late wife was around, lots of happiness doing nothing when nothing was there to be done but enjoy the peace. Since her exit, the Internet has been a sort of lame substitute for conversation. I got myself a website, and that kept me busy for some time, scanning etc. but now, ten years single again this week, and the magic has gone and boredom sits heavy.

So here I find myself, punching the keys and growing bent double doing it. For what? The signs of repeat hooliganism and Luftwaffe caps and jackboots filling the shadows behind the monitor?

It doesn't make for optimism or offer encouragement to post much anymore. Everything changes.

Oh, come on now, Rob, you really haven't been that bad.

;)

Peter McLennan

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2018, 02:48:09 pm »

Agreed, Alan, on points one and two. It works for me.

About half a year ago, walking, shooting, contemplating my recent life (I'm 72) I came up with the following aphorism:

"It's more fun to be generous than to be stingy"

So far, it's working.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2018, 03:23:33 pm »

Agreed, Alan, on points one and two. It works for me.

About half a year ago, walking, shooting, contemplating my recent life (I'm 72) I came up with the following aphorism:

"It's more fun to be generous than to be stingy"

So far, it's working.

I find at 73 I can get rather bored.  Been there, done that.  One way to feel good and maintain a connection to photography is to give back.  I have  a friend who wants me to help him create a slideshow from his vacation pictures.   I'm still waiting for him to do the prep work.  He's seen the shows I did of my vacations which I play on a UHDTV as a video with music, credits, etc.  But it's a way of feeling good about my photography and get out of a rut.  After all how many landscapes shots with trees can I look at? 

Another thing that I have done, should do again, is to enlarge one of my better shots and frame it and give them as a gift to friends and family.  They're so appreciative, they might even mount it on their walls.  Then, I can combine an ego trip with giving to make someone happy.  Another added benefit is that everytime I visit, there's my picture hanging up there.  In someone else's house.  And they thank me again.

Rob C

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2018, 06:21:01 pm »

I find at 73 I can get rather bored.  Been there, done that.  One way to feel good and maintain a connection to photography is to give back.  I have  a friend who wants me to help him create a slideshow from his vacation pictures.   I'm still waiting for him to do the prep work.  He's seen the shows I did of my vacations which I play on a UHDTV as a video with music, credits, etc.  But it's a way of feeling good about my photography and get out of a rut.  After all how many landscapes shots with trees can I look at? 

Another thing that I have done, should do again, is to enlarge one of my better shots and frame it and give them as a gift to friends and family.  They're so appreciative, they might even mount it on their walls.  Then, I can combine an ego trip with giving to make someone happy.  Another added benefit is that everytime I visit, there's my picture hanging up there.  In someone else's house.  And they thank me again.

At 73 you're still a youth. Go play tennis!

My exercise consists of an hour's walk a day, either out in the world if the weather is dry, or on part of the terrace if not, which also lets me lift some heavy water bottles each fifteen minutes, thus exercising the arms and shoulders too. I can't very well carry the bottles with me when I opt for the first choice and go walking out in public; far too heavy, and the sound of sloshing water would drive me nuts and force a rest stop every five minutes even if I could carry them.

Of course, the best incentive is carrying a camera, because then that obligatory hour turns into two. At the cost of creating more nervous tension when everything looks like every other shot I made in the damned town. Grrrr...

Yet, bad weather does make for more satisfying images than does relentless sunshine.

Giving back, if in photography, is something a lot of people say. It has always struck me as absurd: I had to fight, tooth and nail, for all that photography ever let me earn. I feel no debt towards it, but I do feel love for it. I think there must be very few photographers had it easy - at any level. There is always a high price.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2018, 07:16:12 pm »

So here I find myself, punching the keys and growing bent double doing it. For what?

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I'm always on the lookout for your posts: I find them both insightful and articulately crafted.

And as a lifelong amateur photographer, I enjoy reading your perspective as a retired pro.

Also, as an estadounidense, I'm intrigued by your perspective as an expatriate Brit.  (Or should I say Scotsman?  After Brexit,* whaddayayouse gonna call yourselves?)

———
*Sorry: I keep veering into politics.  Lifetime habit.  I probably should seek professional help.**

———
**Apropos of the original premise of this thread, I confess I miss Schewe's nocturnal rants about Trump.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 07:24:40 pm by Chris Kern »

Rob C

« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2018, 07:41:09 am »

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I'm always on the lookout for your posts: I find them both insightful and articulately crafted.

And as a lifelong amateur photographer, I enjoy reading your perspective as a retired pro.

Also, as an estadounidense, I'm intrigued by your perspective as an expatriate Brit.  (Or should I say Scotsman?  After Brexit,* whaddayayouse gonna call yourselves?)

———
*Sorry: I keep veering into politics.  Lifetime habit.  I probably should seek professional help.**

———
**Apropos of the original premise of this thread, I confess I miss Schewe's nocturnal rants about Trump.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the kind remarks - I guess writing was something I picked up on early in life because I was ever encouraged to read, and like most things to which we are exposed for a long time, it kinda rubs off...

Regarding the pro side of photography, I checked out before digital took hold, and my views are probably well out of date concerning the status quo, but if you keep reading BC (Cooter)'s posts, you will get a great view over today's pro world. Also, he's one of those rate birds that are not uptight about helping others with advice. One of LuLa's best assets.

Regarding the post-Brexit scenario - I guess it remains to be written. That said, the portents don't auger well, but one can do zilch about any of it - wasn't even permitted to vote, just like the cats on the Isle of Man. I see that as either short/sighted, an oversight, or, perhaps, intentionally excluding the very people, the many expats, with a fair idea of what the outcome could really come to signify in terms of lost rights, not simply for themselves, but for all those with broader horizons than the local village or suburban bar. But then, the British have always lagged behind, relatively, in learning foreign languages, so it isn't surprising that the island perspective is strongly rooted. A pity.

Rob

« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 09:21:32 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2018, 09:29:07 am »

Oops! Appears that I accidently locked the thread! My excuse it that I was using the little iPad during lunch at a new Italian place that's either just opened (risky doing this at the start the off-season) or, that I've just noticed. Trouble with the beautiful little 'Pad is that the controls are so tiny that I realise having done the same thing with it before. Also, I'd just got the bill, which grew far larger than expected with just a glass of wine and a coffee added. I was the only cat there... But the food was lovely, so perhaps it'll become a once-a-week stop.

Apologies to anyone inconvenienced - mea culpa!

degrub

« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2018, 11:06:32 am »

When the buttons get too small for my fingers, i just plant 2 fingertips on the ipad and spread them. This magnifies the screen in that area. Viola, big buttons !

Rob C

« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2018, 11:35:11 am »

When the buttons get too small for my fingers, i just plant 2 fingertips on the ipad and spread them. This magnifies the screen in that area. Viola, big buttons !

Yes, I know that function, but only think about it when looking at portfolios! Clearly, I have not a digital mind.

There's another odd thing that sometimes happens: if I swipe slowly downwards to advance through a thread, to read the next post, for example, the screen image can enlarge itself every subsequent time I touch it. I'm not sure what I do to escape this state, but it usually does stop, and things get back to normal.

That said, the little device is becoming my most-used obect. My own snaps look so much better on it! The only thing that I tried and didn't really find I liked to use, was the camera. But then I also only use the cellphone one for showing things I need to plumbers etc., so I'm not surprised that I'm not too taken with it.

;-)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2018, 10:34:47 am »

Giving back, if in photography, is something a lot of people say. It has always struck me as absurd: I had to fight, tooth and nail, for all that photography ever let me earn. I feel no debt towards it, but I do feel love for it. I think there must be very few photographers had it easy - at any level. There is always a high price.

Do some documentary photography where you live or can visit.  Think a little outside the box and get out of your comfort zone.  I don't know how much I will be able to do during the winter months but I do want to go to some of the parts of West Virginia that are economically desolate and see what things are like; a lot of these are only about 3-4 hours away by car.  It's too easy to live inside one's bubble.

EDIT:  meant to add that there was a really nice documentary film by Alexandra Pelosi where she did just what I was talking about.  A really funny thing happened at the end of the film where one of the people she filmed made a comment about Nancy Pelosi's grandchildren and he didn't realize that they were right on the beach where she was filming.  She brought him over and introduced the two children.

faberryman

« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2018, 10:42:40 am »

I don't know how much I will be able to do during the winter months but I do want to go to some of the parts of West Virginia that are economically desolate and see what things are like; a lot of these are only about 3-4 hours away by car.  It's too easy to live inside one's bubble.
Not more gratuitous images of poor people and economic desolation.

stamper

« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2018, 10:47:31 am »

Not more gratuitous images of poor people and economic desolation.

Is that a statement or a question?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up