Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Glossy Metallic's in 2018 - any better than they used to be?  (Read 4803 times)

narikin

Glossy Metallic's in 2018 - any better than they used to be?
« on: October 22, 2018, 05:54:10 pm »

Last time I used 'Metallic' inkjet paper, c 2014, I was pretty disappointed. It seems spraying ink onto a bright polyester base just killed it.  Has that changed at all?  Have things improved with the new papers or... not really?!

I can get Fujiflex c-prints made at the local lab here, but would rather avoid that lack of personal QC and crazy expense, if I can get close enough on an Epson, that would be great.  (Epson P20000 printer)

Thanks!

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Glossy Metallic's in 2018 - any better than they used to be?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 07:12:03 pm »

I've written three reviews of metallic papers for this website, the most recent of which is the review of Hahnemuhle's new Metallic Rag, which based on what you are looking for, may be your best bet.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

narikin

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 08:47:59 pm »

Thanks Mark,

I saw your article last month, but didn't 'process' it.
It looks like a good paper, but sounds less glossy metallic than I'd want. (you say pearl/luster finish, with some texture) Plus no profile for P10000/20000 printers as yet, and as you well know, it's near impossible to make one without special equipment!

Moab metallic seem more to my needs.

I'll try to check both out at Photo East this week.

Thanks

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 10:25:42 pm »

The Moab metallic papers are definitely glossier, so if that's the look you want you'd be better trying either the silver or pearl tinted varieties. For the Hahnemuhle, if you wanted to give it a try anyhow, you could get a custom profile made, or you could contact Hahnemuhle, tell them the printer you need the profile for and perhaps they would make one, as it would also serve others owning the same printer.

mearussi

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 10:43:59 pm »

I've compared four metallic papers (so far) from Breathing Color, Moab, Red River (Mitsubishi) and Kodak and the most metallic looking one is Breathing Color's Vibrance Metallic (the others looked more pearlescent).

narikin

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 10:51:19 am »

Thanks to you both for help. Useful!

Yes its the ultra-gloss look I want, with a hint of metallic. Just like the old Glossy Ciba's.
Prefer not the low gloss printed on metal plate look. Appreciate that is good for other projects though.

I'll check out store samples, though I suspect breathing color is not in B&H.
Photo East in 48hrs, so I can cross check samples there. Will post an impression after then, if I have time.

stockjock

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 03:56:23 pm »

Yes its the ultra-gloss look I want, with a hint of metallic. Just like the old Glossy Ciba's.
Prefer not the low gloss printed on metal plate look. Appreciate that is good for other projects though.

I'm a little confused about what you disliked about the metallic papers in the past.  In your initial post you said "spraying ink onto a bright polyester base just killed it" but I don't know what that means. 

If you want an ultra-gloss look with a hint of metallic that approximates Ilfochrome your best bet is probably the Pictorico PPF150 Pro Hi-Gloss White Film, but that prints much better with a dye printer than a pigment printer though it might print well if your printer has a gloss optimizer.  But it is the definition of a "bright polyester base".

Personally, I like the Epson Metallic Photo Paper glossy the best of the different metallic papers I've tried but it definitely has a strong metallic look.  I  haven't tried the new Hahnemuhle paper Mark reviewed but it certainly sounded nice.

BAB

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 12:31:23 am »

I just finished a 3 image series 30x40 prints on Epson metallic glossy, I was hesitant to print on it after reading lots of negative PR.
But I had a full roll so I rip three off and they stayed in the bottom of the printer for two days. When I finally got them layed out under the lights I was blown away. The images were of the super bloom at Carrizo National Monument shot with a H6D 100c and 100mm lens. My hand was freezing off hanging the camera out the window at 1000’ never thought I would get any keepers!
The pilot who flew me was a photographer I gave him these prints as a gift he too was blown away by the images.
I can’t recommend this paper highly enough.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

narikin

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 10:17:04 am »

If you want an ultra-gloss look with a hint of metallic that approximates Ilfochrome your best bet is probably the Pictorico PPF150 Pro Hi-Gloss White Film, but that prints much better with a dye printer than a pigment printer though it might print well if your printer has a gloss optimizer.  But it is the definition of a "bright polyester base".

That's so strange, before you posted, I was in Adorama, and ended up buying just what you suggested: Pictorico Pro Hi-Gloss, on the same basis - ultra glossy nearest thing to Fujiflex/ Glossy Ciba's.

My printer doesn't have a gloss optimizer, and it's pigment, so, the problem has been the printed areas get significantly duller than the native untouched paper. Like you mention, I think it would be better with Dye printers, than pigment, but I don't use those.

The Pictorico is chock full of OBA's - off the charts, but it will do for this experiment. It profiles fine too, as its not really a 'metallic'.

I guess what I'm looking for is ultra glossy with just a hint of that metallic/pearlescent sheen that the Fuji's & Ciba's had. The new deeply metallic papers that are out there now are really a new inkjet development (Like Moab's Silver Metallic etc). Those are amazing products, but not the Cibachrome imitators I'm seeking for this work.

narikin

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 10:23:40 am »

*Oh, and just to throw this in there, the Pictorico 17" Roll came in a box that puts to shame every other manufacturers I've seen in 25 years of roll printing.  Really good packaging, clever design, very strong, materials, well protected.

Pay attention Canson, Hahnemuhle, Epson, Canon, Moab - the Japanese are going to show you how it's done right!

MHMG

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 12:49:14 pm »

The Pictorico is chock full of OBA's - off the charts, but it will do for this experiment. It profiles fine too, as its not really a 'metallic'.

I'm not entirely sure the Pictorico Hi-Gloss White film is loaded with OBAs. Its plastic substrate is PET and PET exhibits natural UV fluorescence. I've looked at  Pictorico H-GWF in cross-section and it appears no additional OBAs are in the ink receptor coating(s). So the jury's out as to how well it will perform in a light fade test. Anyway, I've printed on it with both the Canon 100 (dye-based) and the Canon Pro-1000 (pigmented ink). The Pro-100 prints totally nailed the Cibrachrome look. The Pro-1000 were not quite as perfect but still very impressive because the ultrasmooth surface allowed the Lucia Pro-11 Chroma Optimizer to do a great job at eliminating bronzing and differential gloss on the Hi-Gloss White film. Dmax areas do have a little differential gloss with reduced goss owing to the fact that the CO ink does not coat in those areas, but it's not bad. I would happily print on the Pictorico H-GWF with a Canon Pro-1000, 2000, or 4000 pigment ink printer for applications where super smooth high gloss is the look one is trying to achieve.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 04:32:00 pm by MHMG »

BradSmith

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 08:24:52 pm »

In the US, you can get a sample pack from IT Supplies with 2 shts, 8.5x11 inches of 7 different metallic papers

Simply Elegant Metallic Chrome Gloss
Simply Elegant Metallic Pearl
Epson Metallic Glossy
Epson Metallic Luster
Moab Slickrock Silver
Moab Slickrock Pearl
Kodak Metallic Platinum

I ordered them a couple years ago and my conclusions were:
Hated the Moab Slickrock Metallic Silver.  Very weird looking paper. 
The Epsons seemed to have bad profiles, so I don't know what they'd be like with proper profiles.
Kodak was on a thin, lighter substrate.  It felt flimsy compared to the others
S.E. Metallic Pearl didn't have the "depth" of the best.
I liked the S.E. Metallic Chrome Gloss slightly better than the Moab Slickrock Metallic Pearl, but they were very close.

mearussi

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 10:22:06 am »

I'm not entirely sure the Pictorico Hi-Gloss White film is loaded with OBAs. Its plastic substrate is PET and PET exhibits natural UV fluorescence. I've looked at  Pictorico H-GWF in cross-section and it appears no additional OBAs are in the ink receptor coating(s). So the jury's out as to how well it will perform in a light fade test. Anyway, I've printed on it with both the Canon 100 (dye-based) and the Canon Pro-1000 (pigmented ink). The Pro-100 prints totally nailed the Cibrachrome look. The Pro-1000 were not quite as perfect but still very impressive because the ultrasmooth surface allowed the Lucia Pro-11 Chroma Optimizer to do a great job at eliminating bronzing and differential gloss on the Hi-Gloss White film. Dmax areas do have a little differential gloss with reduced goss owing to the fact that the CO ink does not coat in those areas, but it's not bad. I would happily print on the Pictorico H-GWF with a Canon Pro-1000, 2000, or 4000 pigment ink printer for applications where super smooth high gloss is the look one is trying to achieve.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
The two best papers on the market for intense high color saturated graphic type images are metallic and white film. The metallic has a larger angle of view before the colors look faded and the white film looks good because of the perfectly smooth substrate. Ideally I'd like to see a metallic surface on a white film base but that may not be technically feasible. But if it were possible that combination would come closest to looking like Cibachrome.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2018, 10:27:59 am »

There is a metallic (slight) metallic base on Ilfords Galerie Prestige Smooth High Gloss white film. *Discontinued but still available if you look hard enough.
It is the best of the white films when printed with dye ink. We also use the Pictorico Pro Hi-Gloss White film which is a very bright white compared to Ilfords slight metallic sheen.
The third option if you want to save some money is Oriental Graphica high Gloss White Film. I could tell no difference from the Pictorico and it is substantially  cheaper. Pictorico for 20 13x19 sheets is $155.80 on Amazon and the Oriental is $17.60 for 20 sheeets of 13x19.
Printed with dye ink and then face mounted to acrylic, fantastic look. Great for workshops teaching facmounting where many get thrown away.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 11:56:24 am by Dan Berg »

Scho

• http://photos.schophoto.com/
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2018, 02:41:04 pm »

I've written three reviews of metallic papers for this website, the most recent of which is the review of Hahnemuhle's new Metallic Rag, which based on what you are looking for, may be your best bet.

Mark, Thanks for your review of the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Metallic.  I haven't tried it yet, but based on your comments in the review it sounds like it might be very similar to Photo Rag Satin that I like a lot for B&W or warm toned monochrome prints.  The PR Satin is probably less glossy, both in printed and un-printed areas than the metallic, but it is very distinctive and the printed areas have a beautiful soft sheen.  I have some PR metallic on order from ITSupplies so I will try it to compare with the Satin.

NAwlins_Contrarian

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2018, 02:44:15 pm »

I have at least for now settled on:
* Inkpress Metallic Gloss (which is slightly pearlescent, about like the Kodak Metallic I used to get from Mpix a decade or more ago);
* Inkpress Metallic Satin (not as pearlescent, but not as glossy, sometimes a nice efffect); and
* Mitsubishi Pictorico Hi-Gloss White Film (which so far seems very similar to FujiFlex SuperGloss).

All are 'specialty' surfaces, and can look odd without the right image. This is very much a matter of taste. OTOH, I really like the look of the P51 I shot at a local show on Inkpress Metallic Glossy--but there was a lot of smooth aluminum and bright paint.

Note also that I only print with dye-ink printers. I'm a bit skeptical that I'd like them as much with pigment inks.

stockjock

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2018, 03:47:00 pm »

There is a metallic (slight) metallic base on Ilfords Galerie Prestige Smooth High Gloss white film. *Discontinued but still available if you look hard enough.
It is the best of the white films when printed with dye ink. We also use the Pictorico Pro Hi-Gloss White film which is a very bright white compared to Ilfords slight metallic sheen.
The third option if you want to save some money is Oriental Graphica high Gloss White Film. I could tell no difference from the Pictorico and it is substantially  cheaper. Pictorico for 20 13x19 sheets is $155.80 on Amazon and the Oriental is $17.60 for 20 sheeets of 13x19.
Printed with dye ink and then face mounted to acrylic, fantastic look. Great for workshops teaching facmounting where many get thrown away.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Oriental Graphica.  Prices are absurdly cheap if the quality is anywhere near the Pictorico.  I bought some boxes of the 13x19 sheets but I couldn't stop myself picking up a few rolls of the 17x66' for only $28 on Amazon.  It probably won't print well on the iPF8400 but how could I resist those prices LOL.  Maybe it is time to upgrade to a pigment printer with gloss optimizer. 

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2018, 05:08:04 pm »

Mark, Thanks for your review of the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Metallic.  I haven't tried it yet, but based on your comments in the review it sounds like it might be very similar to Photo Rag Satin that I like a lot for B&W or warm toned monochrome prints.  The PR Satin is probably less glossy, both in printed and un-printed areas than the metallic, but it is very distinctive and the printed areas have a beautiful soft sheen.  I have some PR metallic on order from ITSupplies so I will try it to compare with the Satin.

Satin tone & texture and Photo Rag Metallic tone and texture are different. Let us know what you think once you've tried it.

mearussi

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2018, 10:09:01 am »

I have at least for now settled on:
* Inkpress Metallic Gloss (which is slightly pearlescent, about like the Kodak Metallic I used to get from Mpix a decade or more ago);
* Inkpress Metallic Satin (not as pearlescent, but not as glossy, sometimes a nice efffect); and
* Mitsubishi Pictorico Hi-Gloss White Film (which so far seems very similar to FujiFlex SuperGloss).

All are 'specialty' surfaces, and can look odd without the right image. This is very much a matter of taste. OTOH, I really like the look of the P51 I shot at a local show on Inkpress Metallic Glossy--but there was a lot of smooth aluminum and bright paint.

Note also that I only print with dye-ink printers. I'm a bit skeptical that I'd like them as much with pigment inks.
Unfortunately I've only seen dye ink printers available in 13" sizes, which is just too small for me. If Canon made a 17" or larger one using their proprietary dye ink I'd buy one.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2018, 11:33:21 am »

Unfortunately I've only seen dye ink printers available in 13" sizes, which is just too small for me. If Canon made a 17" or larger one using their proprietary dye ink I'd buy one.

So would I.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up