Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Vacuity  (Read 5271 times)

Ivophoto

Re: Vacuity
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2018, 03:33:11 am »

And btw guys (and galls): don't you recognise reverse psychology?

Despite my wife is therapist in a psychiatric hospital, and she consider me as her home project, I already have problems recognizing normal psychology.

It was after seeing ‘the Truman show’ I began spotting some remarkable details that make me thinking. Suddenly I realized why she was wearing here badge and panic button at home.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2018, 03:57:41 am »

Despite my wife is therapist in a psychiatric hospital, and she consider me as her home project, I already have problems recognizing normal psychology.

It was after seeing ‘the Truman show’ I began spotting some remarkable details that make me thinking. Suddenly I realized why she was wearing here badge and panic button at home.

Shutter Island obv
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Ivophoto

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2018, 04:04:16 am »

Shutter Island obv

Ha. That is why she pretends to start knitting.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2018, 04:55:53 am »

My wife was an art therapist working with people with learning difficulties. She refers to me as her most difficult client.

Ivophoto

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2018, 06:53:36 am »

My wife was an art therapist working with people with learning difficulties. She refers to me as her most difficult client.

I recognize the good old therapist humor.

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2018, 07:46:12 am »

One very nice model once said to me on a trip: Rob, all of us models have problems.

I guess that so do all of us photographers. Perhaps that's what makes mod/phot rapport work: we recognize and respond (or not) to the need we see.

This isn't meant as humour, by the way.

Rob

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2018, 09:45:06 am »

I think creativity has mostly to do with the desire – need – to be an active part of ones universe. There are people whose lives are focussed on consumption: TV, rap, the internet, and though they sometimes make a lot of noise, underneath their lives are passive.

On the other hand, those who engage actively in art: photographers, painters, poets, writers of fiction, musical composers, etc., are attempting to make contact with the creator by creating.

Almost fifty years ago I wrote a poem that dealt with what makes real poetry work. Here’s an excerpt. The first four lines relate to descriptive prose:

And in linear order the words,
Like a freight train chugging across flat country,
Carry their load flatly
And disappear.
But when words are set against each other,
Each one turning back, swooping inward,
Folded out of the flat plane, meshed,
Moving, woven, turned
With the glitter uppermost,
And forced to sing to each other, sometimes
A shimmering web of words so wrought
Has strength to carry life.

And that’s the key. That’s what I mean by “serious” art: a human creation that attempts to carry life. There’s nothing wrong with a segment on “ride.” I enjoyed my 50cc Suzuki first time I was in Thailand. There’s nothing wrong with a segment on pets. I’ve had much loved dogs and cats. There’s nothing wrong with a game like a “photo chain challenge.” I’ve done that kind of thing many times.

But “serious” art attempts to carry life. Keith does it fairly often. Rob does too when he decides to do what he does best. They’re not the only ones. Most of the people who’ve been on here long enough to grasp what Michael, for instance, was after have done it more than once. Wish I could see more of it on LuLa.

Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Ivophoto

Vacuity
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2018, 10:09:48 am »

I think creativity has mostly to do with the desire – need – to be an active part of ones universe. There are people whose lives are focussed on consumption: TV, rap, the internet, and though they sometimes make a lot of noise, underneath their lives are passive.

On the other hand, those who engage actively in art: photographers, painters, poets, writers of fiction, musical composers, etc., are attempting to make contact with the creator by creating.

Almost fifty years ago I wrote a poem that dealt with what makes real poetry work. Here’s an excerpt. The first four lines relate to descriptive prose:

And that’s the key. That’s what I mean by “serious” art: a human creation that attempts to carry life. There’s nothing wrong with a segment on “ride.” I enjoyed my 50cc Suzuki first time I was in Thailand. There’s nothing wrong with a segment on pets. I’ve had much loved dogs and cats. There’s nothing wrong with a game like a “photo chain challenge.” I’ve done that kind of thing many times.

But “serious” art attempts to carry life. Keith does it fairly often. Rob does too when he decides to do what he does best. They’re not the only ones. Most of the people who’ve been on here long enough to grasp what Michael, for instance, was after have done it more than once. Wish I could see more of it on LuLa.

I don’t disagree Russ. Only, ‘carry life’ is very subjective. It is even age bound. What I found definitely carrying live when I was 20 lost meaning now I’m in my fifties.

Shouldn’t we be watchful not to look down on the passion of young hounds and not declassify their visions as vacuity because we are or have outgrown them? Or forgot them?

I can imagine on your blessed age, not much withstand the test of importance or relevance.

I remember my father at 93, sitting in his chair, sunken away in his age dementia that started with a certain contempt for values he outgrown.

I have to be very careful for myself not stepping in this trap, it would make me a vinegar pissing  disconnected parent. 

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 10:19:07 am by Ivophoto »

Two23

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2018, 10:19:51 am »

Photography  for me is my creative outlet.  While a student at University of Kansas I played recorders in the ancient  instruments ensemble.  I had no interest  in photography  until my wife bought me  small camera ten years later.  I quickly  figured out it had potential!  If I get tired of photography I could  well go back to music, this time playing  the oboe or cello.  Those instruments were boring to me when I was in college but now that I'm  older their deep mellow tones are much more appealing.   Instead of exuberance they suggest  reflection.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

RSL

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2018, 10:31:56 am »

I don’t disagree Russ. Only, ‘carry life’ is very subjective. It is even age bound. What I found definitely carrying live when I was 20 lost meaning now I’m in my fifties.

Shouldn’t we be watchful not to look down on the passion of young hounds and not declassify their visions as vacuity because we are or have outgrown them? Or forgot them?

I can imagine on your blessed age, not much withstand the test of importance or relevance.

I remember my father at 93, sitting in his chair, sunken away in his age dementia that started with a certain contempt for values he outgrown.

I have to be very careful for myself not stepping in this trap, it would make me a vinegar pissing  disconnected parent. 

Hi Ivo. I'm sorry to hear that what you found to be carrying life in your twenties has now dwindled to nothing. Here are two poems. This one I wrote when I was nineteen: http://www.russ-lewis.com/Poetry/Poems/Metamorophosis.html. This one I wrote when I was 68, considerably older than your are now that you've lost your ability to carry life: http://www.russ-lewis.com/Poetry/Poems/Overture.html. All I can say is, "sorry, my friend."

Rob C

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2018, 10:51:59 am »

Hi Ivo. I'm sorry to hear that what you found to be carrying life in your twenties has now dwindled to nothing. Here are two poems. This one I wrote when I was nineteen: http://www.russ-lewis.com/Poetry/Poems/Metamorophosis.html. This one I wrote when I was 68, considerably older than your are now that you've lost your ability to carry life: http://www.russ-lewis.com/Poetry/Poems/Overture.html. All I can say is, "sorry, my friend."

But your writing is a gift, Russ.

As with musicians, I can but envy where those abilities take people.

How lovely it would be to be able just to sit down at a piano and play like Jerry Lee Lewis, putting into sound and words those eternally relevant descriptions of the aging man and the emptiness he often slides down into, mostly due to his own follies... sad songs are so much more interesting than upbeat ones, especially from a voice like his. In far more "polished" mode, Sinatra could do the very same.

Ivophoto

Vacuity
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2018, 11:29:14 am »

You are good in romantisme, not so good in rhetorics, Russ.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 11:47:43 am by Ivophoto »

RSL

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2018, 12:15:53 pm »

Really? Give me an example, Ivo.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2018, 12:35:08 pm »

Life, work, play, sex...without fun - sorry, Rob, it's that word again - is but a chore.

Sadly though the sex on LuLa is conspicuous by its absence.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2018, 12:41:35 pm »

Life, work, play, sex...without fun - sorry, Rob, it's that word again - is but a chore.

Yes, Keith, your pictures could finally become a lot more interesting, i'll admit.

;-)
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2018, 12:48:46 pm »

And it is Rob C whit his work who can spice up a bit......

Rob C

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2018, 02:27:34 pm »

And it is Rob C whit his work who can spice up a bit......

I think there is possibly some misunderstanding about what my work, actually, was about.

To cut a longish story down to its essentials: my first love was fashion photography, and for some years it was a good furrow to plough. Came the fuel crisis of the early mid-70s and a lot of work stopped, principally because some clients were getting helpful funding from the fibres companies such as Monsanto, as well as from the International Wool Secretariat (IWS) that would once be highly visible via its famous Woolmark logo in almost every edition of the leading women's magazines. That funding cut due to fuel crisis caution in those suppliers, a lot of firms simply didn't have the available funds of their own to spend on exotic location advertising and, worse and coincidentally, London-based PR companies stretched northwards right into Scotland, where they were able to offer photography deals I simply couldn't match: far cheaper to send a box of clothes to a PR company in London and have it feed that into the schedule of a large studio in London doing a production line operation.

I read the scribbles on the wall, and having already designed and produced calendars for fashion firms I knew that production was where the money lay, not in being just a jobbing photographer.

With fashion dying, I turned to industrial clients for the continuation of my calendars, and that's where the girls came back in, but with fewer clothes. I never really did care all that much for so-called glamour photography beyond buying Playboy which kinda educated my girlie eye, as it were, and even there, I generally thought the centrefolds the least attractive shot in each issue: too rigidly posed.

In the reality, I guess I just shot the topless girls in the same spirit as I did everything else, and that had an unwritten rule that if I wasn't willing to have my daughter see the pix, then they wouldn't be made.

So sex wasn't a priority; femininity and, hopefully, the approval of a female viewer confronted with my work mattered to me. Indeed, for one long-term client we shot and designed the physical calendars so that a bank manager recipient could display whichever illustration page he wanted to display depending on who was coming into his office. Political correctness in its early stages, then, but at an understandable and reasonable level.

Given a chance, I would far rather be shooting fashion in the manner of a Sarah Moon or Deborah Turbeville, than bare girls in the manner of any of the skin photographers. In the end, after the first five minutes the first time, glamour photography has all the excitement of making spaghetti. But it kept us alive.

Rob

RSL

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2018, 02:48:34 pm »

In the reality, I guess I just shot the topless girls in the same spirit as I did everything else, and that had an unwritten rule that if I wasn't willing to have my daughter see the pix, then they wouldn't be made.

A wonderful rule, Rob. Bravo! Would that it were universal.

For a very long time the Hays office made it possible for movies to be watched by families. Then, one day, Rhett Butler said, "Frankly, I don't give a damn, Scarlett," and that was that. Sad, and apparently irreversible.

RSL

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2018, 02:52:56 pm »

You are good in romantisme, not so good in rhetorics, Russ.

You still haven't given me an example, Ivo. Guess I'll have to conclude you use words you don't comprehend.

Ivophoto

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2018, 02:53:30 pm »

I think there is possibly some misunderstanding about what my work, actually, was about.

To cut a longish story down to its essentials: my first love was fashion photography, and for some years it was a good furrow to plough. Came the fuel crisis of the early mid-70s and a lot of work stopped, principally because some clients were getting helpful funding from the fibres companies such as Monsanto, as well as from the International Wool Secretariat (IWS) that would once be highly visible via its famous Woolmark logo in almost every edition of the leading women's magazines. That funding cut due to fuel crisis caution in those suppliers, a lot of firms simply didn't have the available funds of their own to spend on exotic location advertising and, worse and coincidentally, London-based PR companies stretched northwards right into Scotland, where they were able to offer photography deals I simply couldn't match: far cheaper to send a box of clothes to a PR company in London and have it feed that into the schedule of a large studio in London doing a production line operation.

I read the scribbles on the wall, and having already designed and produced calendars for fashion firms I knew that production was where the money lay, not in being just a jobbing photographer.

With fashion dying, I turned to industrial clients for the continuation of my calendars, and that's where the girls came back in, but with fewer clothes. I never really did care all that much for so-called glamour photography beyond buying Playboy which kinda educated my girlie eye, as it were, and even there, I generally thought the centrefolds the least attractive shot in each issue: too rigidly posed.

So sex wasn't a priority; femininity and, hopefully, the approval of a female viewer confronted with my work mattered to me. Indeed, for one long-term client we shot and designed the physical calendars so that a bank manager recipient could display whichever illustration page he wanted to display depending on who was coming into his office. Political correctness in its early stages, then, but at an understandable and reasonable level.

Given a chance, I would far rather be shooting fashion in the manner of a Sarah Moon or Deborah Turbeville, than bare girls in the manner of any of the skin photographers. In the end, after the first five minutes the first time, glamour photography has all the excitement of making spaghetti. But it kept us alive.

Rob

Well, Rob. That are a hell of a lot words to say that it was not on purpose, it just happened. Life on its own conditions, we can say. My statement remains valid: you can spice it up.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up