Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Show us your ride  (Read 11500 times)

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Re: Show us your ride
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2018, 11:37:35 am »

You romantic old thing:

"Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket..."

;-)

;D
-MattB

Rob C

« Reply #101 on: November 14, 2018, 10:46:53 am »

Funny about Mustangs: in the past month I've seen three. One's a '66 in that ugly matt paintwork; a couple of days ago there was a black convertible in the yacht club parking area - probably a few years old, but able to give me my badge shot - and today, parked near the local market square, a brand new fastback, like the other two, in black. Those cars are seldom seen at all in these parts.

The new one looks pretty big! Unlike the original styles, it's very much "thicker" looking with a pretty hefty front aspect. Strikes me that it would take me all day to wash and chamois it dry... Unfortunately, I had no camera and had forgotten completely about the cellphone in my jacket, which is a comment on both how seldom I think of it and how removed it is in my mind from photography.

:-)

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
My ride...
« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2018, 11:44:23 am »

When I got it years ago at the start of the century, it was the "ultimate digital accessory," a place to put all the tools, charge the batteries and recharge the bodies that used the technology. Coast to coast, to Alaska and for tens of thousands of miles and nearly two years of living in and out of it, it is still going strong with just a new coat of wax and some minor repairs and maintenance.

The best thing is that I can take it nearly everywhere I can drive and awaken for the sunrise instead of the drudgery of having to travel many dark and lonely miles and wear myself out.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Rob C

« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2018, 07:50:10 am »

Not mine, worse luck, but as this is probably as much about cars as ownership, here's one that got away, as they say. Found it after lunch some years ago; as you can tell, it slips easily into that dream state without a second thought:

James Clark

« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2018, 10:41:46 am »

Not mine, worse luck, but as this is probably as much about cars as ownership, here's one that got away, as they say. Found it after lunch some years ago; as you can tell, it slips easily into that dream state without a second thought:

Ooooh.. One of my all-time favorites!   Here's a great recap on this machine and it's legacy. 

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mercedes-benz/classic/50-years-of-the-pagoda/

Rob C

« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2018, 03:03:37 pm »

Ooooh.. One of my all-time favorites!   Here's a great recap on this machine and it's legacy. 

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mercedes-benz/classic/50-years-of-the-pagoda/

Car photography could have been a beautiful alternative for me: different models, but still lots of glam and curves!

That said, I instantly think about having to photograph the average family saloon and that idea vanishes whence it came.

James Clark

« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2018, 06:35:50 pm »

Car photography could have been a beautiful alternative for me: different models, but still lots of glam and curves!

That said, I instantly think about having to photograph the average family saloon and that idea vanishes whence it came.

I love shooting cars.  I hate lighting cars.  Those curves of which you speak so fondly are significantly less fun when they're mirrors :D

Rob C

« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2018, 04:32:51 am »

I love shooting cars.  I hate lighting cars.  Those curves of which you speak so fondly are significantly less fun when they're mirrors :D

Aha! Does that, then, account for the horrid, matt black paint some have adopted?

;-)

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2018, 12:24:32 am »

I have a Pajero for family outings to the beach and for when we go camping, the Blonde uses it mostly.

The L200 Triton is my daily drive and my means of getting to places to photograph.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2018, 04:01:25 am »

Love the L200 (Mitsubishi in this part of the world) I had a 1999 version for 11 years and almost 400.000km, not one single issue apart from the normal issues at this milage (pressure on the rusty radiator due to loss of pressure in the block (typical L200 thing) and broken radiator, luckily at arrival on my driveway. Sold it for 4000€! and I didn't understand who was paying that money for such an old car. Few weeks later a reportage on the new about IS being very interested in Pick Ups and the story of a Belgian guy, who sold his pick up to the same kind of guys as I did, and he saw is pick up in the daily news with a huge gun mounted on the back with his publicity stickers still on the doors.

Rob C

« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2018, 09:10:43 am »

Love the L200 (Mitsubishi in this part of the world) I had a 1999 version for 11 years and almost 400.000km, not one single issue apart from the normal issues at this milage (pressure on the rusty radiator due to loss of pressure in the block (typical L200 thing) and broken radiator, luckily at arrival on my driveway. Sold it for 4000€! and I didn't understand who was paying that money for such an old car. Few weeks later a reportage on the new about IS being very interested in Pick Ups and the story of a Belgian guy, who sold his pick up to the same kind of guys as I did, and he saw is pick up in the daily news with a huge gun mounted on the back with his publicity stickers still on the doors.

In eight years I have not yet reached 29,000 klicks - no cheating. I rediscovered my legs. I usually use the thing to drive to Pollensa to have lunch, but as the French place that I and the family love is closed until February - sometime, not sure of the day - the local alternatives (they don't exist: only lousy, expensive substitutes do, and you know my views on life's substitutes) are reached on foot, thus providing both needed heart stimulation as well as a 50 - 50 chance of getting the stuff down below the retch level before I get home. I'd swap my old home-cooking days for all of this rubbish, including the imaginary Dixie on the roof!

Note: 'twas not I wot done the home-cooking!

:-)

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2018, 10:13:11 am »

My first one in the attached pic, 2.6Petrol 1997 model I think did 475 thousand km's when I sold it with nothing wrong. Second one ( 2.8tdi) liked to eat cylinder heads and sold it on 300K. The Triton is now on 295K and the Pajero on 280K.

Rob C

« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2018, 02:08:32 pm »

Better stay inside the vehicle, Riaan; you know those snakes set traps!

;-)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2018, 05:28:59 am »

My best ride is in this Tesla model S which I have had now for 3 years and it is from 2014.

I use it for my trips to Italy and here is a landscape in the Dolomites with the car. A very powerful car and only RWD (before the AWD were available and no auto pilot) with 420 hp on the rear axel. Charging all the way from Denmark on the super chargers and at the hotels I use. The car now has 170.000km on the odometer :)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2018, 08:43:16 am »

Of course, any car of yours must have an appropriately spectacular background, Hans!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2018, 10:36:12 am »

Of course, any car of yours must have an appropriately spectacular background, Hans!

Thanks Eric! Here is another one shot at 2363 meters altitude just under the peak of Col Rodella. It is the Marmolada mountain in the background. Very steep uphill drive. It's a spot with an amazing view and a couple of hundred meters above Passo Sella. The second was shot in Alpe di Siusi.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 10:51:44 am by Hans Kruse »

James Clark

« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2018, 11:57:04 am »

Hans, that's great!   I recently went electric with a BMW i3 just to try it out (I just use it for a city car as it doesn't have the range of the Tesla), and it's truly a revelation.  Plus, here (in Texas of all places) we have renewable energy generation (lots wind power) and we're adding solar in an upcoming remodel, so we (well, I - we cannot all do this, and it costs a bit more) avoid the problem of coal plants generating  electricity for electric cars :(

Anyway, I'm a convert.  I kept my "fun" car, but it only logs about 2k miles a year, and usually about half of that is one long trip or two.

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2018, 03:53:38 am »

Better stay inside the vehicle, Riaan; you know those snakes set traps!

;-)

Yes the bloody buggers. As you well remember, I thought I was a goner that day!

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2018, 12:49:20 pm »

Hans, that's great!   I recently went electric with a BMW i3 just to try it out (I just use it for a city car as it doesn't have the range of the Tesla), and it's truly a revelation.  Plus, here (in Texas of all places) we have renewable energy generation (lots wind power) and we're adding solar in an upcoming remodel, so we (well, I - we cannot all do this, and it costs a bit more) avoid the problem of coal plants generating  electricity for electric cars :(

Anyway, I'm a convert.  I kept my "fun" car, but it only logs about 2k miles a year, and usually about half of that is one long trip or two.

Hi James, good move :) I heard that in some areas of Texas that there is so much wind power that you have electricity in the night for free (maybe not all the time). In Denmark we have a lot of wind power too and have the largest wind power company in the world, Vestas. Well until the Chinese beat them, I guess. You could consider the Tesla model 3 performance to be both of your cars :) It has track mode so you can on the track and beat the Ferraries!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #119 on: December 21, 2018, 03:59:20 pm »

Havana, Cuba:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up