Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Information request for Canon PRO-4000 from long time users  (Read 6020 times)

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
Information request for Canon PRO-4000 from long time users
« on: October 19, 2018, 02:46:35 am »

I found a good deal (promo package) for the PRO-4000 but I would like a little more info on ink consumption and thick-stiff media roll handling from long time users before I buy it.

I am currently using a PRO-1000 from which I am impressed from it's output quality but disappointed by it's ink consumption (my calculated ink on paper/ink wasted for cleaning ratio is 50/50).

The local dealer offering me the promo PRO-4000 reassure me that the roll models don't waste so much ink for cleaning but I have my reservations because the technology (print head/ink set) is the same between my PRO-1000 and the roll models. The promo ends at the end of the month.

Any information or advice is greatly appreciated :)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Information request for Canon PRO-4000 from long time users
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 07:28:53 am »

When I was testing the Canon Pro-2000 (same thing as the 4000 but less width), the thickest media I put through it was Canon Polished Rag and Canon Etching paper. Both are thick and moderately stiff - i.e. they do roll without being damaged. These papers went through the printer satisfactorily. Truly stiff media that doesn't bend cannot be used in the Pro line of Canon printers.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 07:40:16 am »

When I was testing the Canon Pro-2000 (same thing as the 4000 but less width), the thickest media I put through it was Canon Polished Rag and Canon Etching paper. Both are thick and moderately stiff - i.e. they do roll without being damaged. These papers went through the printer satisfactorily. Truly stiff media that doesn't bend cannot be used in the Pro line of Canon printers.

Thank you! I have read your review many times! The paper I am using a lot and interested in is Canson Baryta Prestige 340.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 07:49:07 am »

I was able to put the Canson Baryta Prestige through the Pro-1000 printer (https://luminous-landscape.com/specialty-papers-review-special-papers/), but I don't have experience using it the larger format Pro-2000/4000 models. If you are able to see one of those printers set-up at a dealer, it may be prudent to bring in some of that paper and let the staff help you try it before buying.

picman

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 08:17:09 am »

Heaviest paper I've used is LexJet TRIBUTE Satin Photo Paper 240g. Feeds fine, but occasionally has a problem when unloading. The paper is pretty stiff and I think a little slippage causes the printer to think there is a jam and shuts down.

Good tidbits on the printer here: http://www.on-sight.com/canon-ipf-pro-4000-review/

John Caldwell

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 08:19:50 am »

Our 4000 has only been on site for a few months, so I’m not a good source for the long term ink consumption question. We have run our remaining stock of the now-discontinued Breathing Color Vibrance Baryta, 17”, 24” and 44” rolls through the machine. That paper, at 345 weight, was famous for heavy curl, difficult handling, and head strikes on a range of machines. I’ll say that we’ve had no problems on the 4000 with the BC paper. I did build a Custom Paper preset for that paper with wide platen gap, and reduced drying time between head passes. A custom ICC was also made of course.

Some of this may help you. I have no regrets in choosing the 4000. For my work, the 2nd roll accessory has alone been very valuable.

John-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 09:49:32 am »

I was able to put the Canson Baryta Prestige through the Pro-1000 printer (https://luminous-landscape.com/specialty-papers-review-special-papers/), but I don't have experience using it the larger format Pro-2000/4000 models. If you are able to see one of those printers set-up at a dealer, it may be prudent to bring in some of that paper and let the staff help you try it before buying.
That's a good idea since I already have 17" rolls from the paper from which I cut sheets for the pro-1000. I will ask if it is possible to try it first.

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 09:51:16 am »

Heaviest paper I've used is LexJet TRIBUTE Satin Photo Paper 240g. Feeds fine, but occasionally has a problem when unloading. The paper is pretty stiff and I think a little slippage causes the printer to think there is a jam and shuts down.

Good tidbits on the printer here: http://www.on-sight.com/canon-ipf-pro-4000-review/

Thanks! I am aware of this page about the pro-4000. It was there I first read that there were some problems with stiff papers.

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 09:56:28 am »

Our 4000 has only been on site for a few months, so I’m not a good source for the long term ink consumption question. We have run our remaining stock of the now-discontinued Breathing Color Vibrance Baryta, 17”, 24” and 44” rolls through the machine. That paper, at 345 weight, was famous for heavy curl, difficult handling, and head strikes on a range of machines. I’ll say that we’ve had no problems on the 4000 with the BC paper. I did build a Custom Paper preset for that paper with wide platen gap, and reduced drying time between head passes. A custom ICC was also made of course.

Some of this may help you. I have no regrets in choosing the 4000. For my work, the 2nd roll accessory has alone been very valuable.

John-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From your description the Breathing Color Baryta is similar (handling wise) with the Canson Baryta Prestige (stiff, curl, head strikes etc). Very helpful to know that there is no problems with the 4000. Thanks!

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 05:47:07 pm »

Any photo base paper should feed through the Pro-4000 easily.  You can feed up to canvas (thickness) with no issues.  As per Mark, anything that's not too thick (or stiff like) in the posterboard area will be fine.

If a Satin paper has issues unfeeding, there seems to be something wrong with the roller (where the roll holder moves the roll itself) not grabbing it easily.  We've rarely had any issues unfeeding photo paper rolls with our demo.

With heavier media (fine art), just make sure to select an equivalent media type on the printer so it will adjust itself when feeding it and printing.  Since there are no direct media types for 3rd party products, a similar Canon version should suffice; unless you rather create it from the Media Configuration Tool for that media itself (like John did).
John- glad you like using your printer!

Panagiotis - feel free to contact us with any questions about these printers!

IT Supplies

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2018, 02:01:28 am »

Any photo base paper should feed through the Pro-4000 easily.  You can feed up to canvas (thickness) with no issues.  As per Mark, anything that's not too thick (or stiff like) in the posterboard area will be fine.

If a Satin paper has issues unfeeding, there seems to be something wrong with the roller (where the roll holder moves the roll itself) not grabbing it easily.  We've rarely had any issues unfeeding photo paper rolls with our demo.

With heavier media (fine art), just make sure to select an equivalent media type on the printer so it will adjust itself when feeding it and printing.  Since there are no direct media types for 3rd party products, a similar Canon version should suffice; unless you rather create it from the Media Configuration Tool for that media itself (like John did).
John- glad you like using your printer!

Panagiotis - feel free to contact us with any questions about these printers!

IT Supplies

Thank you! Your reply along the other replies above answer my concerns about the thick media handling. Check!

Now the remaining issue is the ink consumption. I know that for many markets ink consumption is not a number one determining factor for buying a printer but here the economy is not good and the profit margins are very compressed. Is it possible to share the ink consumption figures from your demo machine? Also how often do you change the MC-30 maintenance tank (if you know and how much it weights when it is full and ready to be replaced it would be great!).

Thanks.

Jswanson

• Jswanson Photography
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2018, 10:19:59 am »

I ahve had the Pro-4000 for a year now. I use Breathing Color products mostly rolls of Canvas's Chromata White and Silverada and papers Luster and Metallic with no issues. I have also ran their sample papers with no issue which had their heavier art papers though rolls may differ from a flat paper.

I work away from home roughly 7-9 months of the year. I got the printer October last year and printed something at least once a week till I headed off to work in February. I returned end of August, fired up the printer, ran nozzle check, head alignment and a color calibration all good. Not to say that is normal or I will have the same experience this next go. I got the canon knowing I may clog a print head and can replace it. The printer was left plugged in but never touched while gone.

Ink use I am still on the inks shipped with the printer. Was listed as coming with 330ml tanks mine came with 190ml so I wrote inquiring and was sent a set of 160ml tanks for 350ml total. I have installed most of the second set now. Not that this tells you much as I didn't keep track of number of prints, size or anything else. I did do a number of 24"x48" prints etc. I have ran 40 feet of 36 inch wide Chromata white canvas before replacing any tanks among unknown feet of other media.

I am still on the same MC-30 tank and is showing just under 50% full.

Searched but appears I didn't do a purchase first use experience post here but did here if interested, https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4220352#forum-post-60340867
Live the Dream!

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2018, 12:25:17 pm »

I ahve had the Pro-4000 for a year now. I use Breathing Color products mostly rolls of Canvas's Chromata White and Silverada and papers Luster and Metallic with no issues. I have also ran their sample papers with no issue which had their heavier art papers though rolls may differ from a flat paper.

I work away from home roughly 7-9 months of the year. I got the printer October last year and printed something at least once a week till I headed off to work in February. I returned end of August, fired up the printer, ran nozzle check, head alignment and a color calibration all good. Not to say that is normal or I will have the same experience this next go. I got the canon knowing I may clog a print head and can replace it. The printer was left plugged in but never touched while gone.

Ink use I am still on the inks shipped with the printer. Was listed as coming with 330ml tanks mine came with 190ml so I wrote inquiring and was sent a set of 160ml tanks for 350ml total. I have installed most of the second set now. Not that this tells you much as I didn't keep track of number of prints, size or anything else. I did do a number of 24"x48" prints etc. I have ran 40 feet of 36 inch wide Chromata white canvas before replacing any tanks among unknown feet of other media.

I am still on the same MC-30 tank and is showing just under 50% full.

Searched but appears I didn't do a purchase first use experience post here but did here if interested, https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4220352#forum-post-60340867

It's nice to know the printer worked with no issues after a very long idle time. I have also read your dpreview post. Thanks!

Abdo

• Abdo Abdala - Photography
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2018, 09:35:36 am »

I have a Pro 4000 and a Pro 6000, they are good.
I noticed that in 6000 the paper input has improved, when will put the roll.
Maybe because the 6000 is newer and have corrected some problem with paper upload.
I never stayed 3 weeks without printing, even in 3 weeks stops, come back to work without any problem.
These printers are extremely economical, even printing in Highest mode, which is the way I print.
I used Canvas up to 395g without any problem.
Hope this helps.

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2018, 12:02:53 pm »

I have a Pro 4000 and a Pro 6000, they are good.
I noticed that in 6000 the paper input has improved, when will put the roll.
Maybe because the 6000 is newer and have corrected some problem with paper upload.
I never stayed 3 weeks without printing, even in 3 weeks stops, come back to work without any problem.
These printers are extremely economical, even printing in Highest mode, which is the way I print.
I used Canvas up to 395g without any problem.
Hope this helps.

It helps a lot. Thanks!

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2018, 04:49:01 pm »

Since Canon updated their models from the ground up, they've kept certain features like ink usage being low but still providing great quality upfront (even when using standard printing vs high quality will look the same).

I've heard many of my customers say that they haven't used their printer for a few weeks or so and came back and it booted up with no issues.  That's the nice part of the Canon printers is they "should" work easily from being idle for so long and ink consumption is fairly minimum from what I've seen through most of my prints on our demo unit.  I usually do standard quality since it's comparable to the high quality look, and you don't see much difference on them.  But, it also depends on the media you're printing on. 

The Accounting Tool will provide the ink usage per print, which can help if you weren't sure what to charge a customer (and make some profit) or just to see how much ink (or color) was applied to the media on a certain setting.

The Pro 6000 was the newest version of the series since the Pro 6000S was shipping upon the other sizes at the time.  Since many users were wanting a quicker speed on the large end, that's why the stuck with the S version (8 colors).  Than others were asking about when Canon would be coming out with the 12 cartridge version and then Canon made it about a year after launch per all the requests.

I personally like to recommend Canon for many reasons, but not saying it's the best out of the 3 manufacturers.  Each printer has their goods and bads, so it's based on what the user would be doing and if they are looking for certain features.

The roll feeder is basically automatic now and this feature helps with the media not being touched as much when being feed through the system (hence finger print marks and what not).

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2018, 06:48:29 pm »

The Accounting Tool will provide the ink usage per print, which can help if you weren't sure what to charge a customer (and make some profit) or just to see how much ink (or color) was applied to the media on a certain setting.

No-one in the business should depend on this tool for a commercially usable estimate of ink consumption. It is only useful for accounting ink laid on paper, which is fine as far it goes, but it doesn't go far enough. Apart from the CO, it does not account for ink used on maintenance, and we have seen reports that it can be substantial.

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2018, 02:00:59 am »

The Accounting manager reports only ink on paper (and this with a +- 15% accuracy as Canon states). It's doesn't account for the ink going in the maintenance tank. If the later is a considerable amount it must be calculated as a cost. That is why I asked if you could provide information about the usage of MC-30 and/or it's weight full.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2018, 04:11:45 am »

The Accounting manager reports only ink on paper (and this with a +- 15% accuracy as Canon states). It's doesn't account for the ink going in the maintenance tank. If the later is a considerable amount it must be calculated as a cost. That is why I asked if you could provide information about the usage of MC-30 and/or it's weight full.

PRO-4000(2000, 6000) has nothing to do with PRO-1000. I'm using PRO-4000 since the day it became available and the amount of ink consumed for maintenance is negligible (contrary to PRO-1000). Considering the weight of full maintenance cart, PRO-4000 uses max. 10% of amount of ink (used for printing) for maintenance and head replacement.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 05:33:23 am by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2018, 04:27:21 am »

Considering the weight of full maintenance cart, PRO-1000 uses max. 10% of amount of ink (used for printing) for maintenance and head replacement.
I assume that in the sentence above you mean PRO-4000 instead of PRO-1000.
Anyway that's good news about PRO roll models ink consumption.
Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up