Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR performance issues after Mac migration and new screen  (Read 3268 times)

Cornelius

• photographer based in switzerland
    • Cornelius Fischer
Re: LR performance issues after Mac migration and new screen
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2018, 10:31:34 am »

Anything that hopefully solves the issue is welcome. :)

As far as I know, EIZO monitors do not have a driver. So I never installed a driver which I can deinstall. The only software from EIZO I can deinstall is the ColorNavigator software for the hardware calibration of the screen.
I also googled for uninstall EIZO driver, but could not find any hints here..

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2018, 10:42:25 am »

The only software from EIZO I can deinstall is the ColorNavigator software for the hardware calibration of the screen.

That package probably includes the device driver.  So I would disconnect the EIZO monitor, uninstall the EIZO software, perform a cold restart of the computer with only the Dell monitor connected, and test the performance of Lightroom.

Cornelius

• Cornelius Fischer
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2018, 10:48:55 am »

That package probably includes the device driver.  So I would disconnect the EIZO monitor, uninstall the EIZO software, perform a cold restart of the computer with only the Dell monitor connected, and test the performance of Lightroom.

👍🏻

I'll try that tomorrow morning (europe time ;) ) and give you a feedback.

Tedd

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2018, 01:27:27 pm »

I can throw in another data point.  I have essentially the same configuration: MacPro 6 core, 1Tb SSD, 64Gb, AMD D700 Graphics.  I have 2 monitors connected.  An Apple Thunderbolt Display (2560x1440) and a Dell 5K display (5120x2880).  Both displays are set with resolution of "Default for the display", not scaled.  Images and catalog on the internal SSD.

Until recently, I was happy with the performance of this system.  After the recent updates to LR Classic CC 8.0 and MacOS Mojave, I am having the same problems.  I don't know which update led to the performance issues.

Based on the feedback above about the display drivers, I did a quick test on my system.  If I run Lightroom on the Apple Thunderbolt Display, I can hit "F" to view images full screen and switch between them using the cursor keys, and the images switch essentially instantly.  This is with 20Mb Raw files with 1-1 previews.

If I drag Lightroom over to the 5K display, hit "F" and try to page through the same images, the performance drops to about 15 seconds to display each image.  This is using the 1001, 1002, 1003, counting method so not scientific.  But it is not useable for reviewing the images.  Same thing for looking at images in Loupe mode, although they are slightly faster at about 10-12 seconds.  Probably because they don't use quite as much screen space in that mode.  Develop goes to about 18 seconds to switch an image.  Basically, Lightroom is not useable on the 5K display.

Very disappointing.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2018, 01:33:54 pm »

It would be valuable to get input from someone with a more recent iMac 4K and/or 5K. While LR may indeed be the culprit, I believe some suspicion might fall on the D700 video cards which, while they 'support' 4K, arrived on the scene somewhat before 4K became truly mainstream.

I have a similar MacPro with the D700s and the performance is only reasonable for 4K video and certainly does not give seamless playback at 24fps.

Chris

faberryman

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2018, 02:14:32 pm »

Basically, Lightroom is not useable on the 5K display.
It is not surprising that a 2012 video card performs poorly on a 5K monitor.  That's not LR's fault. The D700 Firepro graphics appears to be based on the AMD WD9000 chip.  I believe the actual video card is the Radeon 7970. According to its spec sheet, it supports one 4K monitor.  I'm surprised it runs a 5k monitor at all.  Are you sure it is not downrezzing the output to 4K? If you go to the Apple drop down menu, click on About this Mac, and it will tell you what video card(s) you have. Then you can look up what screen resolutions it supports. Better yet, go to Settings, Display. Select scaled and it will list available resolutions.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 06:40:15 pm by faberryman »

Chris Kern

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2018, 05:07:26 pm »

Apple has a support document that addresses the compatibility of high-resolution monitors with its desktop and laptop products.  There is another support document that specifically describes the monitor configurations supported by the 2013 Mac Pro.

Apple includes the device drivers for displays connected to or built-into its computers as part of their operating system.  But monitors like my NECs and the original poster's EIZO, which support hardware color calibration, presumably also require specialized drivers which are supplied by the display manufacturer as part of an application software bundle.

If a particular version of that manufacturer-supplied software is incompatible with the display driver that is part of a particular version of Apple's operating system, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see severe performance degradation similar to what we're discussing here.  That's a conjecture, but I think some sort of software incompatibility is more likely to be the cause of this kind of pathological behavior than any lack of hardware resources.

In any event, I rather doubt this is a Lightroom issue: I suspect Lightroom just passes off screen-painting (rendering) commands to the operating system.

faberryman

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2018, 05:16:54 pm »

Apple has a support document that addresses the compatibility of high-resolution monitors with its desktop and laptop products.  There is another support document that specifically describes the monitor configurations supported by the 2013 Mac Pro.

Here's what the link you posted says about displays for the late 2013 Mac Pro.

Display configurations you can use with your Mac Pro (Late 2013)

You can connect up to six of the following properly-configured displays to your Mac Pro (Late 2013).

- Six Apple Thunderbolt Displays (27-inch), Apple LED Cinema Displays (27-inch), or third-party Mini DisplayPort displays.
- Three 4K displays: two connected via Mini DisplayPort and one connected via HDMI.
- One 4K Ultra HD TV or 4K display using HDMI and four Apple Thunderbolt Displays (27-inch), Apple LED Cinema Displays (27-inch), or third-party Mini DisplayPort displays.
- Two HDMI (HD or 4K) devices: one connected via HDMI and one connected via Mini DisplayPort with an HDMI adapter.
- Six DVI displays. This configuration requires an active DVI adapter.

See Using 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs with Mac computers for a list of 4k displays that work with your Mac Pro.

Nary a mention of 5K displays. 5120×2880 (14,745,600) is a lot of pixels to move around. The only Macs Apple lists as compatible with the LG 5K monitor Apple sells are the iMac Pro (2017), iMac (2017), and MacBook Pro (2016 and later). I could be wrong though.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 12:08:47 pm by faberryman »

JeanMichel

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2018, 10:35:03 am »

It would be valuable to get input from someone with a more recent iMac 4K and/or 5K. While LR may indeed be the culprit, I believe some suspicion might fall on the D700 video cards which, while they 'support' 4K, arrived on the scene somewhat before 4K became truly mainstream.

I have a similar MacPro with the D700s and the performance is only reasonable for 4K video and certainly does not give seamless playback at 24fps.

Chris

My setup includes a late 2015  27 inch 5k Retina iMac, 16 gb ram. OS is now Mojave. LR Classic 8.0. I have no performance issues at all.

Cornelius

• Cornelius Fischer
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2018, 03:58:09 pm »

Sorry guys for being so quiet. We're really busy at the moment with many corporate and real estate jobs, so I could not test yet the driver thing.

But in general, I really don't think it is lack of hardware resources. Apple clearly states, that the MacPro 2013 can handle up to 3 4k monitors and I'm running just one.
Also I see this strange behaviour also, when I run Lightroom on a simple 24 inch 1080p monitor from Dell (without any special hardware calibration/driver..).

I'm going to try the driver thing tomorrow afternoon (hopefully) and post an update here.
Lately I even recognised some strange lags within OSX Mojave while moving windows around or event just moving the mouse cursor. Sometimes it just lags and then jumps on the screen. So I really think there is a software issue here.

Cornelius

• Cornelius Fischer
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2018, 08:08:04 am »

@ Chris Kern

Just kicked off all EIZO/ColorNavigator files from my system and did a cold restart without the EIZO attached to the MacPro. Tested Lightroom with the Dell screen only and afterwards with the EIZO 318-4K (without the EIZO software).
Lightroom works much better now. The overview tool from the library can be used again with more than 10 pictures. It's still lagging a bit, compared to my experience from my "old" MacPro with the FirePro D300 and an EIZO CG277 unter High Sierra, but this function can be used again.

Same for the full screen (F-key) mode. It opens and closed quite fast again. Culling through pictures is still a bit slower compared to my old hardware setup, but at least it can be used again.

This all might be a problem of old 32bit drivers/software and OSX Mojave.
EIZO also announced a full new version (V7) of ColorNavigator software to be released on Nov. 2nd. Guess this will be the 64bit update. Let's see what comes out end of the week with the new Color Navigator.

If you have any other ideas which might speed up LR again, let me know! For the moment, I can at least work again on my hardware. *hurray*

Chris Kern

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2018, 10:28:18 am »

This all might be a problem of old 32bit drivers/software and OSX Mojave.

Possibly.  While the MacOS 10.14 (Mojave) release supports 32-bit apps, it's not clear to me whether Apple includes drivers that communicate directly with peripheral hardware devices when when it refers to "apps."  When developers speak of application software, they usually mean programs that execute under full control of the operating system—that is, which are completely insulated from the hardware by the operating system.  I would assume any software that bypasses this mechanism would need to be 64-bit clean.  In any event, Apple says 10.14 will be the last MacOS rev to provide any 32-bit support; this transition has been underway for some time.

Personally, I'm still running MacOS 10.13 (High Sierra) on all my Macs.  I generally prefer to remain at least one operating system release behind Apple's latest deployed version.  (At least, on old hardware.  New Apple products ship with and often require the latest release.)  My philosophy toward operating system upgrades is similar to my philosophy toward camera body upgrades: I need a specific reason to make the change, and even then wait to do so until I have some reason to believe the manufacturer has resolved the most blatant bugs.

rdonson

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2018, 10:57:05 am »

Apple apps and Adobe apps are usually very good at keeping up with major Mac OS updates. 

The current release 10.14.0 (Mojave) seems to follow that trend.

That said, as a retired IT guy I know that when 10.14.0 is released 10.14.1 is already in the oven ready to go through several iterations of beta testing with developers.

Since I have some software that is not from a major app shop I've always waited until the xx.xx.2 release is available.  So that means I will upgrade to Mojave at 10.14.2

Regards,
Ron

Cornelius

• Cornelius Fischer
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2018, 11:01:30 am »

Usually I also wait for major updates of the OS. This time, I replaced my hardware with an used MacPro (more performance) which came clean but with Mojave on it..
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up