Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: LR performance issues after Mac migration and new screen  (Read 3266 times)

Cornelius

• photographer based in switzerland
    • Cornelius Fischer
LR performance issues after Mac migration and new screen
« on: October 12, 2018, 06:48:53 pm »

Hi there

I recently bought my first 4K monitor, an EIZO CG318. After setting up the screen I noticed to performance issues in Lightroom and Photoshop, when using the screen in a scaled HiDPI resolution. Therefore I also bought a used "new" MacPro 6.1 to replace/upgrade my MacPro 6.1 I have used during the last years. This because I thought my old MacPro with the D300 GPUs does not have enough power for the 4K screen. But after the migration I still have similar issues (which I do not have, when using the 4K screen with its native resolution, nor when using the old CG277 non 4K screen), but also some additional performance drops came up. Therefore I hope for some tips to speed my LR up again.

Here is my current configuration:
  • MacPro 6.1 (late 2013) with 6-core CPU, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD and D700 FirePro GPU with the lates Mojave version
  • Promise Thunderbolt RAID
  • EIZO CG318 attached with Displayport, Dell U2410 attached with DisplayPort
  • All Thunderbolt/DisplayPort devices are attached separately to the 3 Thunderbolt bus of the MacPro to avoid issues here
  • Lates Adobe Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC versions

--> LR catalog incl. previews and 1:1 previews is located on the internal SSD, original RAW files are stored on the Promise Thunderbolt RAID.

So I still think, this is a very powerfull setup, which should not give my any performance issues.
Here are my issues I have all the time (independent from the screen resolution) and which weren't a problem prior the 4K screen.

• Lags when scrolling through the library grid. It's just not smooth anymore
  • Huge lag when switching full screen mode (F-key) on and off
  • Lags of 6-7seconds until LR jumps to the next picture when culling in full screen mode (F-key)
  • Lags when switching moduls. Sometimes I see the OSX rainbow-ball for 5 or more seconds until LR switches modules.

All these problems get even worse, then switching the screen into a scaled HiDPI resolution to enlarge text, menus etc.
On top of the LR issues, also Photoshop gets quite slow in rendering filters, when the 4K screen is used in a scaled HiDPI resolution. As long as the screen stays on it's native resolution (4096x2160px) Photoshops does not show any performance drops.

Does anyone have any idea why my system gets so slow, Lightroom lags (especially in HiDPI resolutions) and what I can do to speed things up?
Based on Apples website, the MacPro 6.1 (and I damn use the most powerfull GPU version now) should be able to run 3 (!!) 4K displays. But my system (LR/PS) drops performance already with one 4K monitor. :-(

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
Re: LR performance issues after Mac migration and new screen
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 01:14:56 pm »

In the performance tab in preferences there is a link at the bottom. How much free space does your drive have?     

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

Cornelius

• Cornelius Fischer
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 01:56:46 am »

@ Zen8

I checked already the performance tips from Adobe. The strange thing is, the performance drop came after the upgrade to a more powerfull MacPro. :-/

Free disk space after the upgrade ist 650GB (from 1TB). Before I had around 100GB from 500GB left.
So this should not be the problem.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 04:09:04 am »

I recently bought my first 4K monitor, an EIZO CG318. After setting up the screen I noticed to performance issues in Lightroom and Photoshop,
I think this is your problem. If LR suddenly has to manipulate and calculate a significantly larger number of display pixels, it will slow down, maybe a lot.
The amount that GPU acceleration helps on this issue is famously pretty negligible from the anecdotal evidence on Lula and my own experience. On my windows machine switching off GPU acceleration actually improves performance.

The best upgrade always seems to be a faster CPU if you've got enough memory and are using SSDs (which you have now).

Cornelius

• Cornelius Fischer
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 06:49:58 am »

@ Rhossydd

Thanks, for your tip. I know that Lightroom mainly likes fast CPUs, so this is going to be the next step as soon as Apple announces the new MacPro's.
Until then, I need to figure out what I can do to get LR faster.

When working without fullscreen mode, LR works quite fluid and fine (except of the lags when switching modules).. what is a new issue I encounter since I migrated to the MacPro with more GPU power, is the lag when switching the fullscreen mode on (F-key). This is an issue independent from the screen size. I tried the full screen mode on a small 24 inch Dell screen. It's slow like hell. Jumping from one image to the next, takes up to 6 seconds. This is a behaviour I did not have prior the system migration on a 27 inch EIZO screen. Now I have it on all screen sizes (24, 27 and 31-4k). :-(

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 08:39:01 am »

what is a new issue I encounter since I migrated to the MacPro with more GPU power, is the lag when switching the fullscreen mode on (F-key).
Have you tried turning off GPU acceleration ?

Cornelius

• Cornelius Fischer
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 10:12:16 am »

Yep, tried to turn off the GPU acceleration. Same lags within the fullscreen preview (F-key).
This really came up after the system migration to another MacPro with way more GPU power and SSD storage. Well, I can work with LR on the 4K monitor without this fullscreen preview mode, due to the gigantic size of the screen. Maybe I just need to adapt to this until I can upgrade the MacPro to the upcoming Pro's next year.

Cornelius

• Cornelius Fischer
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 04:09:02 am »

Hi guys

I have to push this up again, because I still suffer from the extrem bad performance of LR.

In the meantime I did some more testings and still I have a really slow response time from Lightroom in these situations:
- Full Screen Mode with single image (F-key) // Activation and Deactivation takes up to 10 seconds, swichting to the next image (arrow key left/right) takes up to 10 seconds
- Using the overview (N-key) with 2 to 50 pictures // adding or deselecting images while using the overview mode is extremely slow. When you deselect an image, the new arrangement of the images lags like hell
- Using spot healing tool and the brush // the mouse itself lags ! :-(

I see this independently from the amount of attached screens and the screenresolution (used 24 inch, 27 inch and 31 inch with 4k). Dual and single screen attached to the computer.
Also independently from GPU acceleration on/off.
Also independently from catalog size and storage location of my digital negative files (external Thunderbolt RAID or internal SSD).

My hardware: MacPro (late 2013), 6-core 3.5Ghz, 1TB SSD, 64GB RAM and D700 FirePro GPU with 6GB Memory
External Promise Thunderbolt RAID for RAW files with read/write speed of approx. 350-450MB/s.

Software: OSX Mojave (latest version), Adobe Lightroom CC Classic (latest version)

Checking the CPU and GPU load after using the full screen, overview mode or brush/spothealing I can not see a significant load on the GPU/GPU memory or the CPU. The load stays around 10-20% of maximum power.
So I would say, hardware can not be the bottle neck.

Also tried to reinstall Lightroom, tried with a fresh and nearly empty catalog (saved on the internal SSD) --> all the same. Performance stays horrible slow.

Does anyone have any idea? Yesterday evening I switched over to edit and cull pictures on my MacBook because it's faster and my MacPro.. 😳

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 05:13:46 am »

Are you syncing from this catalogue?

Cornelius

• Cornelius Fischer
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 05:17:41 am »

@ John
No, sync is turned off. Also tried several catalogs (from 350k to just 20 pictures in them). Always the same slow performance.
Also face detection is turned off.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 07:53:40 am »

In general i discovered that a faster harddisk contributes much.
I have a samsung 970 that makes the difference
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Cornelius

• Cornelius Fischer
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 08:19:52 am »

In general i discovered that a faster harddisk contributes much.
I have a samsung 970 that makes the difference

I don‘t think that the PCI SSD of the MacPro is the problem. but let me check the write/read levels when I‘m back at the studio. Had the same setup before, just with less powerfull GPUs, and never seen my performance issues. 😕

Cornelius

• Cornelius Fischer
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 10:33:37 am »

Here are the speed tests from the MacPro SSD (storage location of the Lightroom catalog, previews, cache) and the Pegasus RAID (negative files).
I really can't imagine that this is the source of my performance problems.

The SSD from the refurbished MacPro (replacement of my older MacPro with the FirePro D300 GPUs) has even a higher wright/read speed then I had on the one before. And prior the migration I definitely not had this performance problems I can now see, even when I only use a small 24 inch screen with FullHD resolution and not the 4K 31inch EIZO.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 11:31:29 am »

My hardware: MacPro (late 2013), 6-core 3.5Ghz, 1TB SSD, 64GB RAM and D700 FirePro GPU with 6GB Memory
External Promise Thunderbolt RAID for RAW files with read/write speed of approx. 350-450MB/s.

I think you can rule out a shortage of compute cycles as the cause of the symptoms you are experiencing.  I am running an almost identical configuration (D500 graphics processors instead of D700), and do not have any similar performance issues.  Actually, I'm quite pleased with the performance of both Lightroom and Photoshop on my five-year-old machine.

Have you tried running Apple's hardware diagnostics suite?  I've found these tests to be quite effective at identifying flaky components or internal connectivity problems.  They should be performed with all external devices disconnected except a keyboard, mouse, single display, and, if you're using a wired network, Ethernet connection.  If the machine passes all the tests, I would recommend that you attach your additional external devices one at a time, and check after each device is connected for the pathological behavior.

Cornelius

• Cornelius Fischer
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 12:50:35 pm »

I think you can rule out a shortage of compute cycles as the cause of the symptoms you are experiencing.  I am running an almost identical configuration (D500 graphics processors instead of D700), and do not have any similar performance issues.  Actually, I'm quite pleased with the performance of both Lightroom and Photoshop on my five-year-old machine.

Have you tried running Apple's hardware diagnostics suite?  I've found these tests to be quite effective at identifying flaky components or internal connectivity problems.  They should be performed with all external devices disconnected except a keyboard, mouse, single display, and, if you're using a wired network, Ethernet connection.  If the machine passes all the tests, I would recommend that you attach your additional external devices one at a time, and check after each device is connected for the pathological behavior.

This was also my feeling. The system should have much more computing power than needed to run LR in a fluid way.
Where do I get the hardware test? Is it part of the recovery mode startup?

Chris Kern

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2018, 01:44:32 pm »

Where do I get the hardware test? Is it part of the recovery mode startup?

Boot the machine while holding down the "D" key.  (I'm assuming this is the method for launching the diagnostic tools regardless of the operating system locale.)

I don't know whether the following link will work outside North America, but here is an Apple support document describing the procedure; I'm sure there is a similar document available from other Apple support sites.

Cornelius

• Cornelius Fischer
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 03:03:35 am »

@ Chris Kern
I performed the Apple hardware tests with and without externen devices on my MacPro. Nothing found by the test.
No I also tried several Lightroom CC Classic versions. From 7.3, to 7.4 and the latest 7.5.

7.3 runs better (but still noch 100% fluid) compared to the other two versions. For the moment I keep 7.4, as I need some functions from this version.
What I also have seen, when I reduce the window size of Lightroom, at least the overview function in the library runs smoother. Full screen on the 4k monitore is not usable with any LR versions.

I really don't understand it. If the hardware would not have a enough power, I should see this in the menu meter stats for CPU/GPU load and memory load. But there, I don't have more than 30-40% usage.

JeanMichel

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2018, 08:55:59 am »

Reading your original post, it appears that your issue is due to your desire to use a display scale that is not “best for display” because you want larger text. For support on this you should check or contact EIZO   Or simply use the default “best for display” resolution.

Cornelius

• Cornelius Fischer
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2018, 09:07:58 am »

Reading your original post, it appears that your issue is due to your desire to use a display scale that is not “best for display” because you want larger text. For support on this you should check or contact EIZO   Or simply use the default “best for display” resolution.

I figured this out already.. It seems that the MacPro 2013 does not have enough GPU power to smoothly run a 31 inch 4K monitor with scaled resolution.
That's why I use the screen now in "best for display" which is the native resolution without scaling.

But my Lightroom issue did not disappear. In fact, Lightroom runs slow on all my 3 screen sizes (31, 27 and 24, where only the 31 is a 4k) in single monitore mode. Which means, the source can not be the display.
The slow performance in full screen and the overview mode of the library started after migrating the system from one MacPro to another one, using the OSX migration assistent.

Already deleted LR cache and preferences, which did not solve the problem.
Tried 3 different screen sizes, did not solve the problem.
Used dual and single monitor setups in all kind of combinations, did not solve the problem.
Apple hardware test does not show any hardware issue
Black Magic Disk Speedtest shows really high dis speed
CPU/GPU load statistic does not show high load, while using Lightroom
Tried LR 7.3, 7.4 and 7.5 without a significant difference

Now I'm shortly before a complete reinstallation of my whole system with a manual migration of the data to get a clean start. I'm just scared of the time needed to do this. :-/

Chris Kern

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2018, 10:07:54 am »

Now I'm shortly before a complete reinstallation of my whole system with a manual migration of the data to get a clean start. I'm just scared of the time needed to do this. :-/

Actually, that is probably not necessary, and, in any event, may not resolve your problem.  To find the source of this kind of performance issue, it's best to proceed methodically, eliminating the possible causes of the problem one at a time.

To recap what we know at this time:
  • You and I have virtually identical hardware.  Lightroom runs fine on my computer and is very slow on yours.  So we can rule out insufficient compute cycles.
  • The Apple hardware diagnostics test suite did not identify any failed or flaky components in your computer.  So we can rule out (at least provisionally) a hardware failure.
That suggests the problem you are experiencing is related to some difference between our two software environments.

One significant difference between our software environments is that that I am running MacOS 10.13 (the High Sierra release) and you are running MacOS 10.14 (the Mojave release).

Another is that I am using NEC monitors (one 27-inch and one 24-inch) and you are using a 31-inch EIZO monitor and a 24-inch Dell monitor.

At this point, the device driver for the EIZO strikes me as the software component that is the most suspicious.  I recommend that you disconnect the EIZO from the computer and uninstall any EIZO software.  Perform a cold restart of the computer with only the Dell monitor connected and see if the symptoms are still present.

It would be best not to change anything else until you have performed this test.  If you try too many things simultaneously, it makes it more difficult to isolate the cause of this kind of problem.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 10:14:08 am by Chris Kern »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up