Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting autotone to work adequately  (Read 8068 times)

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
Re: Getting autotone to work adequately
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2018, 10:40:14 am »

They are working on it. Just a contrast glitch and a preset fixes that in seconds. I find it very useful. You can bypass with Jeffrey Friedl's Personalized Auto Tone plug-in.               

ButchM

« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2018, 11:35:00 am »

I noticed this was happening mostly with Canon profiles, not Adobe profiles.

You do realize that the brand named profiles are actually profiles created by Adobe, not the various camera makers. Adobe has tried to build those 'brand' profiles to closely replicate what the camera maker applies using the camera maker's proprietary software and/or processing applied to in-camera jpegs.  Try as they might, they will never exactly be identical to the camera maker's look.

In essence ... all the veracious profiles included with ACR and/or Lightroom are Adobe profiles.

jrsforums

« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2018, 12:00:13 pm »

You do realize that the brand named profiles are actually profiles created by Adobe, not the various camera makers. Adobe has tried to build those 'brand' profiles to closely replicate what the camera maker applies using the camera maker's proprietary software and/or processing applied to in-camera jpegs.  Try as they might, they will never exactly be identical to the camera maker's look.

In essence ... all the veracious profiles included with ACR and/or Lightroom are Adobe profiles.

Does it matter? 

If the profiles available you can choose any one or multiple, dependent on image type, and use that as a starting point. 

Having a consistent starting point, that you are used to, is more important than the exact match to any in-camera profile.
John

ButchM

« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2018, 12:46:08 pm »

Does it matter? 

If the profiles available you can choose any one or multiple, dependent on image type, and use that as a starting point. 

Having a consistent starting point, that you are used to, is more important than the exact match to any in-camera profile.

That wasn't my point ... my point was that Lightroom does not ship with camera profiles created by the camera makers

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2018, 01:32:53 pm »

Yes I do. I realized quite a while ago Auto Tone didn't play nicely with Canon files so I used tweaked Adobe profiles. Jeff Schewe confirmed Sensei was built using Adobe profiles that in this thread - which makes sense. I even stated in one post that maybe Adobe might add other manufacturer profiles but I won't hold my breath. Another member suggested an awesome workaround. Apply Auto Tone to an Adobe file and then switch to the camera's profile. Works great.             

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2018, 01:34:12 pm »

Does it matter? 

How do you post images here? I see this come up [img] [img]. Just insert the Jpeg? 

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2018, 01:37:41 pm »

That wasn't my point ... my point was that Lightroom does not ship with camera profiles created by the camera makers

Yes they are emulations and darned good ones.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2018, 01:50:12 pm »

How do you post images here? I see this come up [img] [img]. Just insert the Jpeg?
https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=108865.0

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2018, 03:42:30 pm »

Contrast set to zero for all.

1. Image imported as Canon Standard
2. Auto Tone applied
3. Back to square one and Auto Tone applied to Adobe Colour
4. Switched profile to Canon Standard
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up