Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad V DB... or H/M645??  (Read 2240 times)

adam tracksler

Hasselblad V DB... or H/M645??
« on: September 19, 2018, 08:01:18 am »

I sold my 645 AFD a year. Or so ago with an Aptus 22 back.
I liked the images, but was frustrated about tethering, so I kind of threw the baby out with the bath water, and sold it to get a 503cxi - I thought I would just shoot film with it and my 4x5. I would leave the A7 for work.

I miss shooting MFD. I know its not logical, but neither is my M8. For me, time is precious, and I don’t get to processing my film, which will just get scanned anyway..

I am looking at Hasselblad V Backs. Mostly the 22MP ones, since I really dig the fat pixel look, and if I need mega huge files for something, the Sony can be used.

The prices on these are steeper than the Mamiya versions. It’s close to getting an H2/3D (especially if I sold the 503 and my 4x5), or going back to the AFD, or Pentax 645D, or even with a bit of saving the Fuji. And I’m pretty much shooting the same size as the 645 backs.

So, I am in a conundrum.

Any advice for a poor soul like me? Up here in Maine, there aren’t a lot of camera shops to test these out.

Thanks so much in advance...

//ad

Rob C

Re: Hasselblad V DB... or H/M645??
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 10:25:31 am »

If you can manage it, I'd advise keeping the film 'blad. My second male monopause event had me part-exchange my pair and lenses for something else. I regretted that almost right away, and still do, thirty or so years later.

Rob

pflower

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 12:04:04 pm »

I don't know the 22mp backs at all.  But I did buy a CFV-50c to use with my 503cx.  At first focusing was incredibly hit or miss.  But after having the body calibrated (mirror and shims on the back where the back fixes) things improved a lot.  But still I found that live view on a tripod was the most reliable method.  Of course the older backs don't have live view.

I suppose its a question of resolution, but I have never had focusing problems with film.  In fact I just developed 5 rolls of HP5+ and all look good.  I would strongly recommend that you have your body calibrated if you do go the digital route. 

landscapephoto

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 01:32:43 pm »

Often, the H cameras + back + adapter for V lenses can be had for less money than a V back.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 02:05:57 pm »

As much as I loved my V Series cameras given the choice I'd go with an H system.

And I did.

adam tracksler

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 02:51:26 pm »

Is the H3 a good choice?

landscapephoto

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 04:07:47 pm »

Is the H3 a good choice?

There are 2 versions: H3D and H3DII. The first version has a very poor screen, but accepts a film back. That is it.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 02:48:37 am »

I have had a lot of medium format cameras and I guess each one has been better than the last.
I started with the Mamiya AF then AFD then H1 with Phase back, then H2, H3Dii-31, H3DII-39 then H4D body with H3D-39 back.
Now I have the X1D which is a fabulous camera.

I really do not know why people spend serious money on a really old camera or a brand new back on a really old camera.
If you love spending money then great, but the V serious is a dinosaur.

The integrated H series are all good but I sold mine and for less money bought the X1D.
Using that now with Canon TSE and the HC lenses until I can get one or two XCD.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 06:32:35 am »

I have had a lot of medium format cameras and I guess each one has been better than the last.
I started with the Mamiya AF then AFD then H1 with Phase back, then H2, H3Dii-31, H3DII-39 then H4D body with H3D-39 back.
Now I have the X1D which is a fabulous camera.

I really do not know why people spend serious money on a really old camera or a brand new back on a really old camera.
If you love spending money then great, but the V serious is a dinosaur.

The integrated H series are all good but I sold mine and for less money bought the X1D.
Using that now with Canon TSE and the HC lenses until I can get one or two XCD.

And people flood museums to look at dinos.

The secret of the 500s Series, for me if nobody else, lay in its perfect format, shape, feel and heft: the quintessential tripod camera. And no need to rotate the body! Horses for courses.

And that's how most were used: on good tripods. Off tripod, they became very heavy very quickly; the mirror bounce was pretty bad and carting just one body, never mind a spare, in a bag over your shoulder for any time was hell. Carrying a proper Gitzo was hell. The system must have ensured employment for many an assistant.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 07:28:04 am »

Rob,

It’s a paradox of lens design that good lenses often don’t make pleasant pix. The Blad somehow hit a sweet spot  and made nice images. The real reason why a camera with such bad ergonomics survived so long is called Zeiss.

Edmund

The secret of the 500s Series, for me if nobody else, lay in its perfect format, shape, feel and heft: the quintessential tripod camera. And no need to rotate the body! Horses for courses.

And that's how most were used: on good tripods. Off tripod, they became very heavy very quickly; the mirror bounce was pretty bad and carting just one body, never mind a spare, in a bag over your shoulder for any time was hell. Carrying a proper Gitzo was hell. The system must have ensured employment for many an assistant.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 07:37:05 am »

I'm not sure if either the H3D or the H3D11 are still supported by Hasselblad. They're getting long in the tooth.

If I was interested into getting into medium format digital again I'd be looking hard at the X1D or waiting for the hopefully much improved X2D.

The one thing I wouldn't be doing is revisiting the V Series bodies.

Joe Towner

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 11:25:42 am »

The biggest issue is you're not the only person with a love affair with the V series Hasselblad.  Ignoring all logic, newer gear or different ways to accomplish the same thing, the 500 series gets a lot of 'togs all worked up.  You're not the first or last who will wrestle with these decisions.

I'm going to say that you'll want to work with a dealer like  DT & CI and have them keep a look out for when a V mount back comes in, they don't stick around long.  CI has a P20+ for sale for $2k, so a square 16mp sensor.  Figure out travel and go see one of them - it's a lot more real if you have the back on your camera and see the output.  The one thing in your favor is that there isn't much more depreciation to be had in V mount backs, there are folks just now picking up a 503 for the first time & they'll fall in love just like you have.

Have you tried your V lenses on your Sony?
t: @PNWMF

adam tracksler

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 03:28:35 pm »

How does the P21+ compare with the Aptus 22? I really liked the way that the Aptus rendered. I hated the battery placement. But the files were stunning.

I do love the 500 series and the zeiss lens is just right for me. I have used them on the Sony and they are great. The hasselblad is as much about the process as the images for me.

landscapephoto

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 03:31:54 pm »

I'm not sure if either the H3D or the H3D11 are still supported by Hasselblad. They're getting long in the tooth.

The cameras are. Some of the H3D backs can't be repaired. Everything is supported by Phocus on a computer with a firewire connection.

It’s a paradox of lens design that good lenses often don’t make pleasant pix. The Blad somehow hit a sweet spot  and made nice images. The real reason why a camera with such bad ergonomics survived so long is called Zeiss.

The H lenses are equally good. Not quite the same rendering, but equally pleasant. I predict that people will start to realise that in 5-10 years.

eronald

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2018, 10:53:42 pm »

The H lenses are equally good. Not quite the same rendering, but equally pleasant. I predict that people will start to realise that in 5-10 years.

Equally pleasantb is true for red vs white wine. Yet one does not replace the other.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

adam tracksler

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 09:19:47 am »

Looks like an H2 might be a reasonable solution, and keep the 503 for film.

Other than it being old(er) is there any disadvantage to the H2? I know it may have slower AF, but its still faster than the 503's AF :)

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2018, 08:21:31 am »

You do realise that cameras in this millennium have a setting to select the Image Format, not that anyone ever uses it.
People go to museums to see things that people used to use.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

eronald

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2018, 08:57:54 pm »

I sold my 645 AFD a year. Or so ago with an Aptus 22 back.
I liked the images, but was frustrated about tethering, so I kind of threw the baby out with the bath water, and sold it to get a 503cxi - I thought I would just shoot film with it and my 4x5. I would leave the A7 for work.

I miss shooting MFD. I know its not logical, but neither is my M8. For me, time is precious, and I don’t get to processing my film, which will just get scanned anyway..

I am looking at Hasselblad V Backs. Mostly the 22MP ones, since I really dig the fat pixel look, and if I need mega huge files for something, the Sony can be used.

The prices on these are steeper than the Mamiya versions. It’s close to getting an H2/3D (especially if I sold the 503 and my 4x5), or going back to the AFD, or Pentax 645D, or even with a bit of saving the Fuji. And I’m pretty much shooting the same size as the 645 backs.

So, I am in a conundrum.

Any advice for a poor soul like me? Up here in Maine, there aren’t a lot of camera shops to test these out.

Thanks so much in advance...

//ad

The problem is the crop factor. Hassy made some CFV backs which are pretty seamless in operation on a V.

Edmund

airfang

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2018, 12:34:30 am »

For MFD I'd take a serious look at X1D (and the upcoming X2D), and GFX-50S (and the upcoming GFX-50R and GFX-100S), these cameras hit a sweet spot of usability, image quality and price.

Keep the V for film, it is a irreplaceable experience but as soon as you switch to digital one might wonder why spending so much to get the same image quality as the newer, more integrated solutions.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2018, 10:48:09 am »

Hi,

Being the owner of an Hasselblad 555/ELD with a P45+ back, I would agree on that stance...

Best regards
Erik

For MFD I'd take a serious look at X1D (and the upcoming X2D), and GFX-50S (and the upcoming GFX-50R and GFX-100S), these cameras hit a sweet spot of usability, image quality and price.

Keep the V for film, it is a irreplaceable experience but as soon as you switch to digital one might wonder why spending so much to get the same image quality as the newer, more integrated solutions.
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up