Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: You gotta stick with it.  (Read 1935 times)

leuallen

You gotta stick with it.
« on: September 18, 2018, 05:52:27 pm »

I saw this gentleman on the edge of the Walmart parking lot. He was very interesting but the background was bad and I could not get in position of take a better picture. So I took a record shot, first image.

I went in and got my hair cut and when I came out at first I did not see him. I kept looking and saw that he had moved up under the trees at the edge of the lot. Maybe there were some possibilities now. I drove into the lot and positioned myself in a good spot. I used to be an in your face wide angle shooter but advancing age has changed me into a laid back telephoto sniper. I was using a Pan G9 with Oly 40-150 2.8 with 1.4 TC so I had plenty of reach. I changed positions a couple of times for better compositions and the second image is one of the better ones although I got quite a few good ones. He was not aware of me as I was a pretty good distance away.

He was not pan handling as he was in a remote spot far from the main throng of people. I wonder why he chose this spot.

Larry

donbga

Re: You gotta stick with it.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 08:03:10 pm »

See my note in the frame.

leuallen

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 10:28:13 pm »

I have frames where I "rotated to the right" and greater magnification. They are not as good.

Larry

donbga

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 10:30:58 pm »

I have frames where I "rotated to the right" and greater magnification. They are not as good.

Larry

Well these didn't work either.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 03:23:27 am »

See my note in the frame.

I don't agree. You're just advocating removal of context. If anything, I'd have cropped a bit more off the left hand side.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 06:23:27 am »

Framed, as is, in manner to have delighted stock library hearts: space for crops, copy etc. Perfect.

;-)

framah

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 10:50:23 am »

What always amazes me is how many people sit down in places where pretty much every dog who passes by, uses for it's bathroom. :o

"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 10:52:25 am »

Well these didn't work either.

For you.

P.S. This is not the User Critique forum. If you wanted to butcher someone else's work, you should have at least asked for permission via PM first.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 03:45:01 am »

For you.

P.S. This is not the User Critique forum. If you wanted to butcher someone else's work, you should have at least asked for permission via PM first.

I agree with you 100%

As one spends time on these sites, a few things become understood:

a. copyright issues aside, nobody should ever presume to copy another's work without prior invitation;

b. doing so, and then posting a perhaps superior version is offensive, probably humiliatating and completely out of order;

c. simply reverse the process and ask oneself how one would feel being on the receiving end of such churlish behaviour.

Rob

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 08:47:10 am »

A parliamentary roar of approval for excellent response Mr. Blagojevic and Sir Robert C!
A common woman~

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 09:25:12 am »

A parliamentary roar of approval for excellent response Mr. Blagojevic and Sir Robert C!
Amen!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 01:45:55 pm »

Yep.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

donbga

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 07:56:01 pm »

Gosh, sorry ya'll feel that way. I'll try to do better in the future. I didn't feel like I was out of line but apparently I should have muzzled my heart felt remarks in this forum. I was feeling simpatico since I shoot m4/3s also. Nor were my remarks intended to be harsh or destructive. And 'butchered' or 'churlish', 'copy write violation'?  I think those comments were awfully mis-applied. And just to clarify further I have functioned in years past as a 2D Art judge at large Arts festivals as well as leading local photographers in critiques; all this meaning I felt my comments were well intended and the responses that followed are overwrought.

Judging from the ids of those posting replies, it is very clear that the entrenched old figs of LuLa have thrown down. So be it. I'll take my licks, though I do think this community is turning into a bit of a museum. I've been to hundreds of real world critiques (made by my peers and professional workshop leaders) and I never ever wanted to receive sugar coated remarks about my work. I think encouraging or endorsing otherwise is a mistake, Critique Forum or no. 

There you have it folks. Goodnight.

Don Bryant

leuallen

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 10:37:05 pm »

It is a case of you gotta be there. This is an example of why some critiques based on framing are usually not useful. I have uploaded two outtakes. One is moved to the right and closer as suggested. Background looks kinda bland. The other places the subject more to the left. Oops, a nasty light pole appears. Since I had already processed the original post, involving some effort to remove a light pole growing out of his head, I did not feel that it was worth the effort to deal with two light poles for a marginal improvement.

Larry

PS Don I checked out some of your posts to access the skill level of the critiquer. I did not see any images but I picked up a tip or two.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2018, 01:33:41 am »

... Judging from the ids of those posting replies, it is very clear that the entrenched old figs of LuLa have thrown down...

A kind request to native English speakers to translate this sentence for me, please. I tried googling, didn’t help.

“Ids”  - identity documents? Id in the Freudian sense?

“Old figs” - ?

“Thrown down”  - what is supposed to be thrown down? Seems like object is missing in that sentence.

P.S. “copy write” - I assume you meant “copyright”?

P.P.S. My English might be limited, but my desire to help isn’t, so, upon re-reading your critique, let me help you make it legible:

Superfulous Space Superfluous space. I would have rotated [myself? the camera? a few?] degrees to the right and moved in closer. As is As-is, the viewer does’nt doesn’t have much to hang on to.

There you have it. Just trying to avoid sugarcoating comments about your writing skills ;)

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2018, 04:07:03 am »

Gosh, sorry ya'll feel that way. I'll try to do better in the future. I didn't feel like I was out of line but apparently I should have muzzled my heart felt remarks in this forum. I was feeling simpatico since I shoot m4/3s also. Nor were my remarks intended to be harsh or destructive. And 'butchered' or 'churlish', 'copy write violation'?  I think those comments were awfully mis-applied. And just to clarify further I have functioned in years past as a 2D Art judge at large Arts festivals as well as leading local photographers in critiques; all this meaning I felt my comments were well intended and the responses that followed are overwrought.

Judging from the ids of those posting replies, it is very clear that the entrenched old figs of LuLa have thrown down. So be it. I'll take my licks, though I do think this community is turning into a bit of a museum. I've been to hundreds of real world critiques (made by my peers and professional workshop leaders) and I never ever wanted to receive sugar coated remarks about my work. I think encouraging or endorsing otherwise is a mistake, Critique Forum or no. 

There you have it folks. Goodnight.

Don Bryant

You appear unable or unwilling to see the point, clearly made by Slobodan in his post: this section is not the Critique one.

Whether you ran the MoMA Selection Committe or otherwise would have made no difference to that principle; there is a distinction not too difficult to understand.

Further digging simply makes the hole larger, if not deeper, and, consequently, more awkward for the climbing out...

;-)

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2018, 07:06:37 pm »

“Old figs” - ?

Sigh.  I often feel rather figgish (figly? figful? figgorish?) these days.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2018, 03:03:40 am »

Gosh, sorry ya'll feel that way. I'll try to do better in the future. I didn't feel like I was out of line but apparently I should have muzzled my heart felt remarks in this forum.

You're confused. There is nothing wrong with comment; my view is that any photograph posted anywhere on this site (save for Rob's "Without prejudice" thread) is fair game for comment. What you ought not to do is to edit someone else's image - by daubing comments or in any other fashion - without express permission. The mere posting of an image does not imply that permission.

"Old fig" is certainly less upsetting than some names I've been called.

Jeremy

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2018, 07:08:50 am »

8)
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

donbga

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2018, 09:31:45 pm »

:o All of these type of comments are what I've grown to expect at Lula over the years. The entrenched Illuminati, or in the case of some, our valued community members that some Lulaettes  consider to be unsanctioned gate keepers.

At any rate I don't post photos here on Lula (and no longer on any other sites), however without further comments from me you can see some of my work here:

Google Plus for My Photos

Google is going to pull it down though I'm not sure when -- Google+ that is. Google Plus is going away. You can also find a photo of my ugly puss there so be warned, some of you may turn into a pillar of salt.

I now focus on print making and participating in local and online print exchanges and no longer post online since photographic print syntax
is lost with web images - at least IMO. I have made friends with folks I have never met, here in the states and internationally, through picture exchanges. These prints include ink jet and traditional analog depending on the type of exchange.

"Old figs" aka "Moldy figs". Jazz Wiki.

Pages: [1]   Go Up