Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Photographed to death, brought to you by the Internet and the Chinese tourist  (Read 10507 times)

32BT

• Pictures
Re: Photographed to death, brought to you by the Internet and the Chinese tourist
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 06:08:03 am »

I'm not entirely certain what Slobodan is implying with the shower remark, but if it is remotely what I think it is, then some of the responses may be a bit inappropriate.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Photographed to death, brought to you by the Internet and the Chinese tourist
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2018, 06:31:33 am »

We all have examples of places that have been "invaded" by tourists. Even in a small country like Portugal, in recent years, I was surprised to learn that Lisbon and Porto are now leading places to visit, they are there at the top of the destinations "one must see". These are fashions, and I have no doubt that they will be replaced by other destinations in the near future. One place I go to very often, the southwest coast, is still a haven (apart from the summer months) of quiet; I used to vacation there with my parents 40 years ago, when there was no running water or electricity.

Recently I spent 5 days in London with my family, doing the habitual site seeing, museums, etc. The place was packed, as usual. There was even a queue in Greenwich for the meridian picture...

Iceland... never been there. But really, how can photographers go to those places, publish the photos, and then expect such places to remain undisclosed to the greater masses? It is illogical.

elliot_n

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2018, 07:26:13 am »

Chinese tourism is just a phase. 30 years ago it was the Japanese, but now they mostly choose to stay at home.

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2018, 07:48:37 am »

I'm not entirely certain what Slobodan is implying with the shower remark, but if it is remotely what I think it is, then some of the responses may be a bit inappropriate.

Belsen?

:-(

Rob C

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2018, 08:09:57 am »

Chinese tourism is just a phase. 30 years ago it was the Japanese, but now they mostly choose to stay at home.

The feet are just as harmful independently of passport.

The easy money they spend is corrupting of people otherwise having hard lives, and no substitute for a respectable job in productive services or businesses of one sort or another. Filling stressed sewerage systems with crappy overload, draining local water supplies with at least three showers a day (on getting up; after postprandial sex; prior to going out for the night) and making parking for local people impossible - a side-product of which is summer parking charges - there is little in tourism for those not directly involved in the exploitation. The housing problems have been explained already.

Thing is, as long as it continues to provide money, nobody looks to other, benign work opportunities that might otherwise flourish. Mallorca had several shoe and leather factories: I think the shoes have vanished and most of the leather I see in the markets is in stalls tended by Africans. I wouldn't buy from them because of the exploitation to which the sellers are subjected as well as worries about anthrax and hell knows what else may be being imported. Far out? Well, cheap flower imports have introduced moths that kill geraniums and beetles that destroy the palm trees of entire villages. Both have killed on my own property.

I see this as a scourge that will one day end in tears; tears for those who used it to make money and for those who will find themselves idle.

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2018, 08:13:42 am »

Settle down. It was just a play on words. “Unwashed” vs. “washed,” i.e., “showered.” Sheesh.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2018, 08:17:10 am »

Belsen?

Rob, your dirty mind needs a shower ;)

Rob C

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2018, 08:29:44 am »

Rob, your dirty mind needs a shower ;)

It wouldn't help: reinfection is just an irresistible click away.

:-)

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2018, 08:40:02 am »

The solution is simple: the end of democracy, return of the elites. The only queue unwashed masses should be seen in is the queue for showers.

Considering the cost of photo tours, it’s the swarming of the elite that you smell, Slobodan.  :D

Rob C

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2018, 08:59:24 am »

Considering the cost of photo tours, it’s the swarming of the elite that you smell, Slobodan.  :D

! ... ¡ ... !

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2018, 09:02:38 am »

I said get rid of democracy, but forgot to add get rid of capitalism at the same time. Because that is what is causing masses (washed or unwashed) to afford travel (and photo tours). Ever heard of mass Soviet or Mao's China tourists?

To those clamoring for a "solution" to mass tourism, trampling everything in its way, there is another one: WWIII.

From the time I was born to today, Earth's population has grown threefold. That would be five billion more people. While interesting places, like national parks, remained the same in size, with only a few new ones added (e.g., Iceland).

The current administration in the USA proposed a significant rise in entrance fees to national parks. And before I was able to raise my hands to applaud, the outcry of political correctness was so loud that they had to scale down the increase.

I say raise the entrance fees to national parks 2-3 times. Raise bus fees double that (per person) and photographic workshops triple that (per person). Photography is a solitary endeavor. Mass photography is an oxymoron and an abomination.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 10:34:09 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Rob C

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2018, 09:18:34 am »

I said get rid of democracy, but forgot to add get rid of capitalism at the same time. Because that is what is causing masses (washed or unwashed) to afford travel (and photo tours). Ever heard of mass Soviet or Mao's China tourists?

To those clamoring for a "solution" to mass tourism, trampling everything in it way, there is another one: WWIII.

From the time I was born to today, Earth's population has grown threefold. That would be five billion more people. While interesting places, like national parks, remained the same in size, with only a few new ones added (e.g., Iceland).

The current administration in the USA proposed a significant rise in entrance fees to national parks. And before I was able to raise my hands to applaud, the outcry of political correctness was so loud that they had to scale down the increase.

I say raise the entrance fees to national parks 2-3 times. Raise bus fees double that (per person) and photographic workshops triple that (per person). Photography is a solitary endeavor. Mass photography is an oxymoron and an abomination.

Nobody has ever spoken words photographic more true.

Even a party of one more than the snapper is a crowd that distracts, gets in the way and brings about deadly self-consciousness and conversation.

The minimum number of people on a shoot the better; the good clients understood this whereas the others wanted to fill the "event", as it was for them, with second-opinions based on zero understanding of what the camera was seeing. Parallax? Wot dat, dude?

Considered photography is entirely about self-expression; other voices do not help one iota.

Rob

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2018, 09:26:49 am »

Settle down. It was just a play on words. “Unwashed” vs. “washed,” i.e., “showered.” Sheesh.

No worries, i didn't have a problem with your remark, even within the realm of my own contorted interpretation, it's just that it puts the responses in a very different light.

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2018, 09:35:35 am »

And there has never been a more horrific photograph about photographers photographing than this one:

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2018, 10:01:30 am »

The mere thought of sharing my space with another photographer is a bad dream, but that image, Slobodan, is enough to give me night terrors.

Please stop it.

;-)

Ivophoto

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2018, 10:02:43 am »

If it is remotely what you think, not the replies are inappropriate but Slobodan’s post is. But I’m sure it is even not from far what you think.

Rob C

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2018, 10:05:14 am »

The mere thought of sharing my space with another photographer is a bad dream, but that image, Slobodan, is enough to give me night terrors.

Please stop it.

;-)

Worse, the guy on the extreme right is the mirror image of our community's gardener, which probably explains his regular absence from the gardens.

;-(

Ivophoto

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2018, 10:05:50 am »

Belsen?

Guys, guys. Who the hell is making that link......

Ivophoto

Photographed to death, brought to you by the Internet and the Chinese tourist
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2018, 10:11:49 am »

Please stop it.

;-)

I like the tea table.

It remembers me to the years a was practicing target shooting. Some had a more US combat style, some the more British tongue in cheek style. The latter enjoyed a cup of Earl grey while laying down and tuning their riflescope.

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2018, 10:23:37 am »

I think most people who buy camera gear do so without a clue on what to do with it. So it makes sense that most folk take cues from other camera owners and mostly photograph during vacations and tourist outings.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up