Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What should I learn in Photoshop first?  (Read 2866 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
What should I learn in Photoshop first?
« on: September 11, 2018, 11:29:38 pm »

I posted recently a thread about a Russian photographer, Kristina Makeeva and her test of a new wonder smartphone: https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=126717.0

Anyway, this post here is about her answer to a fan on Instagram, who asked the following question:

"What should I learn in Photoshop first, in order to process like you"

Kristina's answer:

"Algebra, biology, physics, geometry, history, literature, in school"

Brilliant!

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: What should I learn in Photoshop first?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 12:14:27 am »

Good answer!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 12:28:06 am »

Perfect!

A diverse and wide-ranging education contributes more to a good photo than most people realize. Learning everything there is in Photoshop does little than to allow the "expert" to polish a turd. In other words, knowing just the tools and software leads to technically perfect and sharp photos of atrocious and fuzzy concepts, contributing to the billions of mediocre and failed photographs uploaded to the cloud each day.

It's the picture that's got the soul, not the pixels!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Ivophoto

What should I learn in Photoshop first?
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 12:58:38 am »

It is a bit an arrogant answer.

The question was not: What should I learn in life with priority. And even then the given answer is not to the point.
Humility could be a good start in life.

A broad education is for sure an asset in life, I only wonder if the master photographers we know are all master degree scientists. I guess not.

I say more, the brain part you need to be an artist is the opposite than the one you need for mathematics
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 04:59:56 am by Ivophoto »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 01:43:55 am »

Ivo, you are, surprisingly, taking the answer too literally.

Besides, Photoshop in itself is not art, but generally requires a lot of technical knowledge. Even today’s photography, cameras in particular, require it.

A lot of composition relies on geometry. Just ask HCB, for instance.

She also said “history and literature.”  Someone here recently mentioned a link between poetry and photography.

All of that, general education and accumulated knowledge, from technical to poetic, even if buried in the subconscious, is what makes a person using the massively complex and powerful tool that Photoshop is produce a unique vision with it. Rather than just replicating someone else’s style by knowing which sliders to move first.

Farmer

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 03:49:46 am »

No, no, Slobo.  Just grab it and do for yourself - don't learn anything first!

;-p
Phil Brown

Ivophoto

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 04:36:56 am »

Ivo, you are, surprisingly, taking the answer too literally.

Besides, Photoshop in itself is not art, but generally requires a lot of technical knowledge. Even today’s photography, cameras in particular, require it.

A lot of composition relies on geometry. Just ask HCB, for instance.

She also said “history and literature.”  Someone here recently mentioned a link between poetry and photography.

All of that, general education and accumulated knowledge, from technical to poetic, even if buried in the subconscious, is what makes a person using the massively complex and powerful tool that Photoshop is produce a unique vision with it. Rather than just replicating someone else’s style by knowing which sliders to move first.

All true, Slobodan. Only, the technical part of photography is not rocket science.

If someone ask what to learn first (in relation to photography) the given answer is not helpful.

There are a few more helpful answers possible, not?

Ivophoto

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 04:41:07 am »

No, no, Slobo.  Just grab it and do for yourself - don't learn anything first!

;-p

There is a difference in telling somebody to learn about the subject or paternalistic telling someone he should go to college first. The latter is a bit misplaced and for me it feels like sending someone back to toddlerhood instead of talking to equal.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 06:34:12 am »

Obviously you need the saturation slider. Also hand fulls of highlight and shadow recovery. Clarity helps a lot I think. Don't forget to sharpen, the more the better, don't be scared. Never forget that a non destructive workflow is extremely tedious and is basically for people that are scared of commitment.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 07:01:43 am »

Never forget that a non destructive workflow is extremely tedious and is basically for people that are scared of commitment.

Exactly! In fact one could say the same of the entire RAW workflow.

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 07:07:06 am »

Exactly! In fact one could say the same of the entire RAW workflow.

Yes, shoot jpg. Dispense with the entire mess
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 07:13:52 am »

If someone ask what to learn first (in relation to photography) the given answer is not helpful.

Actually, when asking the wrong question (in relation to one's learning), this response is very appropriate because it's meant to trigger someone to use their brain.
Regards,
~ O ~

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 07:15:47 am »

I'm with Ivo here: there may have been loss in translation or, rather, emphasis in translation, but I didn't read the question to be about image-catching in camera, but the after-work that makes it look good.

Of course a reasonable education helps in everything in life, but that didn't appear to be on what the reply might have been expected to focus.

Rob

Ivophoto

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 07:19:16 am »

Yes, shoot jpg. Dispense with the entire mess

?? I don’t see how this match with the topic. ??

Ivophoto

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 07:20:22 am »

I'm with Ivo here: there may have been loss in translation or, rather, emphasis in translation, but I didn't read the question to be about image-catching in camera, but the after-work that makes it look good.

Of course a reasonable education helps in everything in life, but that didn't appear to be on what the reply might have been expected to focus.

Rob

Exactly my point.

A good English course could be helpful in my case, I admit.

Ivophoto

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2018, 07:22:21 am »

Obviously you need the saturation slider. Also hand fulls of highlight and shadow recovery. Clarity helps a lot I think. Don't forget to sharpen, the more the better, don't be scared. Never forget that a non destructive workflow is extremely tedious and is basically for people that are scared of commitment.

Well, explaining the better practices could be a start.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2018, 07:30:00 am »

Rob

I know your not much on music analogies, but it's a bit like asking Miles D what instrument you should learn to play first in order to play music like him.

Then he tells you that life is the most important thing to learn and your brain the most important instrument, and he tells you that in a way that will eventually make you realise that it was a stupid question to begin with and the answer was the appropriate answer.
Regards,
~ O ~

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2018, 07:35:10 am »

It's like the 50mm adagium. If you want to learn to express yourself in pictures, start with the basics and shoot jpg images that express your vision. Once you grasp the limitations and are ready to move beyond those, it will immediately be clear what it is you expect from the image editing part.

Regards,
~ O ~

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2018, 07:48:40 am »

Referring back to my last post: a good education may not, actually, always be the best thing: I remember clearly being a bit conscious of my own education having surpassed that of several art directors with whom I had to deal. In fact, only the head copywriter in one such agency had much of a clue about how words might be used.

There is massive peril in appearing to be too goddamn smart.

That said, the same art directors were perfectly capable of producing good designs and layouts that made both my snaps and their design look cool. Formal education has its value, without a doubt, only if because it can be a semi-passport to more highly-placed players in the advertising/industrial world, but it sure ain't paramount! Many of the same art directors had not even gone to art school, but had started professional life working within art departments.

It's my impression that an overemphasis on education could well be a fact that seeps out from the gallery/fine art world, with its interest in mentors, colleges and an entire rainbow of associated cultural bonuses that formal education within the establishment offers, as much as it does employment and status for those within that establishment. Turkeys, Christmas?

:-)

Ivophoto

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2018, 07:54:20 am »

I know your not much on music analogies, but it's a bit like asking Miles D what instrument you should learn to play first in order to play music like him.

Then he tells you that life is the most important thing to learn and your brain the most important instrument, and he tells you that in a way that will eventually make you realise that it was a stupid question to begin with and the answer was the appropriate answer.

If he is an arrogant prick, yes.

Or in case he accept the question is raised by a starting musician he could play along or jam a few minutes.

It all start with the acceptance of an equal conversation partner.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up