Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profoto B10  (Read 7632 times)

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Re: Profoto B10
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2019, 01:30:33 am »

It has everything to do with the subject. The B10 along with the Connect remote offers TTL and this automation allows people with no skill set whatsoever to misrepresent themselves as a pro.

I have no idea what this means. Someone is forcing you to work as a photographer for a living ?

Over the years every single technicals skill required by pros has slowly been eroded and taken away by technological advances. Any pro that thinks his or her technical skills is what will create a career saving barrier to entry is out of business or will. E as soon as the technology solves that particular problem.

Exposure on film was tricky, a non event with digital
Focus took real skill, particularly with sport, enter A9 D5 1DX
Choosing the moment of exposure killed off by 20fps
I can go on but won’t

Somehow actual pros keep working. It takes a lot more than just technical skills. Light meter jockeys disappeared decades ago.

Same for TTL flash. It’s anyway not very useful in the studio. Great for on camera flash at events though.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2019, 10:41:36 am »

Correct...being pro means running a business with paperwork, taxes, negotiations, marketing, accounting, legal matters, contracts, and everything else that comes with being an business entity.  Too bad B&H doesn’t sell easy business solutions!

It’s always interesting to me why there is such a push in the photo and video world to make money with these tools.  I never hear other friends in the same light...

I just got lots of expensive pots and pans....how can I make money with my cooking? 
I just bought a fancy telescope...how can I make money using this?

Then again...people are renting their cars on turo... and lots of other things on similar services...
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2019, 11:17:17 am »

Right Tony.

If you buy a violin you are the owner of a violin. If you buy a camera you are a photographer. It no longer bothers me. You want to have a go at making a living with a camera be my guest. Some manage and the vast majority disappear after a short while. TTL flashes are the least of it.

JaapD

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2019, 10:28:51 am »

Correct...being pro means running a business with paperwork, taxes, negotiations, marketing, accounting, legal matters, contracts, and everything else that comes with being an business entity.  Too bad B&H doesn’t sell easy business solutions!

Exactly! Being a pro doesn’t say much about the level of your creative and/or photographic skills. Only that you need to create an income out of it.

Regards,
Jaap.

Kirk_C

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2019, 08:35:07 pm »

Over the years every single technicals skill required by pros has slowly been eroded and taken away by technological advances. Any pro that thinks his or her technical skills is what will create a career saving barrier to entry is out of business or will. E as soon as the technology solves that particular problem.

First of all I was being facetious. I was in no way intending to start the broad discussion of what being a pro means.

Having said that, I completely agree with you.

Same for TTL flash. It’s anyway not very useful in the studio. Great for on camera flash at events though.

Yes, the Metz SCA-390 worked wonders on my ELX and CW bodies back in the day. That was real TTL, with a sensor actually in the body reading off the film.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2019, 12:40:53 am »

First of all I was being facetious. I was in no way intending to start the broad discussion of what being a pro means.

Having said that, I completely agree with you.

Yes, the Metz SCA-390 worked wonders on my ELX and CW bodies back in the day. That was real TTL, with a sensor actually in the body reading off the film.

I realized you were being facetious Kirk and wasn’t having a go at you all. Apologies if it came across like that. I was really remarking on the belief some people seem to have that buying the gear will make them a pro. But I was also having a bit of a go at pros that think a technical skill will protect them from encroachment from people who don’t have the skill. 

As has been mentioned business skills are required and what I meant to say is above all else you need an eye.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up