Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profoto D1 lights firing bad  (Read 8103 times)

Kirk_C

Re: Profoto D1 lights firing bad
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2018, 09:36:13 pm »

I haven't replaced a flashtube on my D1s and they're 7 years old. I have fired them thousands upon thousands of times and never had an issue. It's too bad there isn't a counter like my Broncolors. I can tell you exactly how many times I've fired those.

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2018, 01:11:51 pm »

Nem, your opinion: What about just using D1 without the frosted thing in front?  Have you owned D1s?  (profoto does not recommend this and claims D1 heads do not run hot)

I think I remember Speedatrons and Lumedyne heads just have bare bulbs exposed.

Personally, I've never cared for the enclosed  flash tube. It's guaranteed to build up heat, especially if you shoot quickly as I do (often a frame every second or faster). That's the whole knock against Speedlites -- they overheat from the enclosed design. That's not to say that the Profoto are in the same league, only that, to me, it's a design flaw. I have never had, Hensel (not that they ever recycled quickly), Speedotrons or Einsteins overheat with continuous, rapid shooting (especially the Speedotrons since I used to max out power and shoot a frame a second). I have had some issues with the Elinchrom ELB400 power pack overheating and needing to shit down for a minute. I have never experienced that with the ELB500.

kevs

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2018, 02:53:56 pm »

thanks Nem, well Profoto will never admit that that is a design flaw, and you see someone else in this thread said D1s have been fine....

But would you remove the frosted plate? They don't recommend it.
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2018, 04:01:24 pm »

I probably wouldn't remove it, unless you can easily put it back. It's been designed as an integral part of the lighting and you may end up with a "hot spot" without the diffusion. But if you can remove it easily, why not try and see what the quality of light is like.

kevs

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2018, 04:02:34 pm »

thanks Nem, will keep it on..

Kirk_C

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2018, 11:16:00 pm »

Personally, I've never cared for the enclosed  flash tube. It's guaranteed to build up heat, especially if you shoot quickly as I do (often a frame every second or faster). ... to me, it's a design flaw.

You may not like the recessed tube, many don't, but it's not a design flaw.

Profoto has sold thousands of the D1/D2/B1/B1X monoblocks world wide and if there was a problem with heat we would be reading countless threads about it on boards like this one.

They just introduced their newest compact light with the same enclosed tube and an integrated LED for video work. The B10.

I bought my D1 500s when they were introduced and within a week bought the domes to replace the flat glass. I got them when they were only $75 and thought that was stupidly expensive. Now they're $183 which is beyond belief. I've seen a lot of people shooting with the flat glass and at the price for the dome I expect to see most staying with the flat.

However the domes do make a huge difference. I use the Mola Demi, Euro, Setti and 16" Rayo, Chimera, Profoto and Broncolor softboxes with my D1s and they're fine. The light is just as even, same fall off, as with my Pro 6, Pro 7, Acutes and Broncolor heads. No heat problems and as I mentioned in an earlier post I use the D1s for their short duration at full power.

kevs

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2018, 11:44:45 pm »

Thanks Kirk, never heard of Domes, do you have a iink, and they make a huge difference in what? Thanks.

Kirk_C

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2018, 01:28:36 am »

Thanks Kirk, never heard of Domes, do you have a iink, and they make a huge difference in what? Thanks.

I linked them in my post above but here it is again.

The D1s with the flat glass cover over the tube put out light at a 70 degree angle. The domes replace the flat glass and widens the dispersion, similar to an old style Profoto head. So when you use the domes it evens light out inside most modifiers where the 70 degree angle limited the effect of the modifier.

Try ebay. They're for sale a lot cheaper than new fairly often.

kevs

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2018, 05:35:54 pm »

thanks Kirk, I'd have to see A/B photos. I shoot with D1s as is straight, hard light, with umbrellas etc, everything looks great to me.

Kirk_C

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2018, 09:30:08 pm »

thanks Kirk, I'd have to see A/B photos. I shoot with D1s as is straight, hard light, with umbrellas etc, everything looks great to me.

They absolutely work fine straight and into an umbrella with the flat glass. Profoto has exploited this style of use with their large umbrellas with the diffusion cover turning them into a soft box like modifier that's easy to set up.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up