Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why upgrade?  (Read 6007 times)

Rob C

Re: Why upgrade?
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2018, 06:13:41 am »

I upgrade when the new camera  is significantly better for my needs than my old camera, enough so that it is worth the annoyance of having to "learn" the new camera (buttons in different location, menu different, grip a bit different....).

Lenses however - I don't need an excuse to "upgrade". Upgrading really means, get a lens with new focal length, tilt-shift, light / compact and good enough at f/5.6 - f/8 landscape lens for hiking, lens that is considerably sharper than current lens of its type, or other new capacity.....

Support and bags: well, we all are suckers for straps, new tripod heads with additional capacities, better flash bracket, etc
Lighting and modifiers, home-made and store-bought: where did that adapter go????
[/b]

My God, Nancy, what a misfit you make me feel! I share none of that need.

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2018, 06:20:50 am »

I like trying out different camera systems and new tech. It makes the geek in me happy. At the same time it's a good way of discovering that once you cross a certain performance/reliability threshold, the particular tools you use don't matter much from a technical POV. In my experience that threshold is lower than many folks, the fanboy communities in particular, care to admit. At that point the geekery recedes and gear choices come down more to ergonomics and æsthetics.

-Dave-

And the inevitable truth of the reality of the user's abilities with any camera equipment ends up being the governing factor in the results - if those actually matter to some people.

Also, you're right that equipment quality is already overkill for folks not making huge gallery prints selling for a zillion bucks a piece. If I was, I'd probably be into Phase.

Rob

jeremyrh

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2018, 04:51:03 am »

[/b]
My God, Nancy, what a misfit you make me feel! I share none of that need.

Rob
Are you sure you're actually a photographer at all ? :-)

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2018, 09:31:45 am »

Are you sure you're actually a photographer at all ? :-)

Well, I was a peripatetic lensman... now I'm just a wanderer.

;-)

Rob
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:34:48 am by Rob C »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2018, 09:39:22 am »

... Support and bags...

Can a photographer (or a lady) with just one bag even call themselves photographer (or lady)? ;)

jeremyrh

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2018, 11:02:45 am »

Can a photographer (or a lady) with just one bag even call themselves photographer (or lady)? ;)

And can a photographer (or a lady) with just one bag even call themselves lady (or photographer)? ;)

faberryman

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2018, 04:05:16 pm »

Support and bags: well, we all are suckers for straps, new tripod heads with additional capacities, better flash bracket, etc. Lighting and modifiers, home-made and store-bought: where did that adapter go????
I don't know who "we" is. i have one tripod head, one bag, no flash, flash brackets, lighting, and modifiers etc. but I know the type that has a compulsion to buy all that stuff. Sometimes they even need it.

BAB

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2018, 08:50:08 pm »

The upgrade I'm awaiting will be a 4x5 sensor on a camera with tilt shift and swings both ends with all the digital distance scales, in camera stitching w/in camera bracketing and integrated focus bracketing firing simultaneous images in less than 1000/sec. With a screen resolution that sucks your eyeballs out and  able to show you channel view of a RAW histogram before taking the image. Some glass that can handle a 20 stop DR. Until then we have to use what we can find.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Two23

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2018, 12:43:13 am »

The upgrade I'm awaiting will be a 4x5 sensor on a camera with tilt shift and swings both ends with all the digital distance scales, ....

Mine already does all that. :)

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

NancyP

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2018, 11:50:57 am »

The bag situation is pretty easy to explain. Packs that seem to work in the store can be awful at the end of long day of an 8 to 10 mile hike with photo stops. Why? Well, I found that my torso length is short, close to child-sized, and that the only packs that carry more than 5 pounds well (and I hike with about 4 pounds water and some other "10 essentials" stuff) are hiking/camping backpacks that are both sized and adjustable within that size range (women's extra-small to small). So, I need to get the photo-specific also-ran packs onto the photo club email list for sale. Now I have three sizes of panel-access hiking pack (25, 38, 55 liter) and 4 sizes of padded inserts, plus a super-reliable dry bag duffel with padded liner for kayak/canoe. The packs also serve as ordinary luggage - 25 liter pack fits under airline seat even in regional jets and between legs in 4 to 12 seat puddle-jumper prop planes, so the camera / 2 lenses / laptop is directly in sight at all times, and I don't have to sweat about getting an overhead bin. For casual walkabout use where the bag is on the ground more than on the shoulder, I have a used Domke bag bought from another photo club member who moved to Fuji and got smaller bag.

If my back or shoulders hurt, I am not happy. Fashion isn't a huge issue, I just try to find packs in any muted dark color.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up