Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The pot plant  (Read 2400 times)

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
The pot plant
« on: September 08, 2018, 10:39:32 am »

Maybe it would be nice if we try to post images in the style of the pot plant. Nothing to be ashamed of imo :-)

What do we think of this image which is not mine, btw?

Image by W.Eggleston
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 10:54:18 am by Ivo_B »

Rob C

Re: The pot plant
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 11:02:58 am »

I do not like the work of that particular William.

Ivophoto

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 11:13:44 am »

I do not like the work of that particular William.

I’m not surprised Rob.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 11:33:28 am »

Crap.

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 12:25:52 pm »

Where's the building inspector when you need one?

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 02:08:12 pm »

Where's the building inspector when you need one?

Smoking pot on the verandah of his mansion, gazing at the moss-covered vines and hearing Louis Armstrong tell how it feels to miss New Orleans.

"Miss the moss-covered vines, tall sugar pines
Where mockingbirds used to sing
I'd love to see that old lazy Mississippi
Hurrying into Spring"

I heard/saw the man once with his Allstars - Glasgow in the 50s, I think it was. Magical.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 05:18:09 am by Rob C »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 03:39:15 pm »

Maybe it would be nice if we try to post images in the style of the pot plant. Nothing to be ashamed of imo :-)

Why would anyone not already in a straightjacket want to post images in the style of the pot plant? There would be PLENTY to be ashamed of. And I agree with Rob about Eggleston.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Ivophoto

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 04:39:52 pm »

Why would anyone not already in a straightjacket want to post images in the style of the pot plant? There would be PLENTY to be ashamed of. And I agree with Rob about Eggleston.

The Metropolitan, MOMA and other museum have another vision on Eggleston. But I guess they are complete idiot regarding photography.

Telecaster

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 05:08:23 pm »

The photo graces the cover of one of my favorite albums. So I like it for that reason. And the geometry. And the White Stripes color scheme.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 06:15:11 pm »

The Metropolitan, MOMA and other museum have another vision on Eggleston. But I guess they are complete idiot regarding photography.

It has crossed my mind.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 06:26:17 pm »

Museums have a weird vision on photography sometimes. They will display a lower quality copy of an image by Richard Prince, but the original from Sam Abell would never reach a museum wall

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2018, 09:54:46 pm »

No pot plants (although I would be allowed to grow up to 4 plants here in Canada soon).  ;)  Some of Eggy's favourite subjects though. The B&W's were taken in 1974, and the colour shot 43 years later, but toned more like film(?)

Ivophoto

The pot plant
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 02:46:26 am »

I like them JNB. I can look for hours to the last one. The first is composition wise brilliant and the second is also pleasant to look at.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 02:56:49 am »

I like them JNB. I can look for hours to the last one. The first is composition wise brilliant and the second is also pleasant to look at.

The first two seem to me to have the strength to stand alone just as images. The last one probably needs some cultural context which I probably lack. Either that or it's just too complicated for a simple soul like me. I can like complex compositions but I need to be drawn in, the last shot doesn't do that - at first sight anyway.

Mike

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 03:03:06 am »

As for the original red shot I have never quite understood its appeal but the composition seems well balanced, the colours used are powerful and simple. You get drawn into speculating about what the other wires are for (is this not  the blasted ambiguity you lot seem fixated on?). It's context is set in a subtle way if you can read it - but could someone not familiar with US 'pop' culture detect them?

At the time no doubt he felt he was pushing boundaries or being provocative. It often does provoke a reaction :)

Mike

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2018, 03:34:10 am »

Certainly not the quality of JNB's contribution, but it is my look at the world around my west EU place which lacks the spectacularity's of the US.

Netevallei by Ivo Bogaerts, on Flickr

« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 03:38:31 am by Ivo_B »

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2018, 03:37:40 am »

As for the original red shot I have never quite understood its appeal but the composition seems well balanced, the colours used are powerful and simple. You get drawn into speculating about what the other wires are for (is this not  the blasted ambiguity you lot seem fixated on?). It's context is set in a subtle way if you can read it - but could someone not familiar with US 'pop' culture detect them?

At the time no doubt he felt he was pushing boundaries or being provocative. It often does provoke a reaction :)

Mike

I chose this red one with reason :-) It is best to start with a nice controversial one.
But even when you look the the Eggleston original, and you look to the other pictures, you see the visual impact of the image, regardless the content, I find this incredibly interesting.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2018, 03:42:33 am »

You wee devil Ivo you edited your post with the images in and excluded the one I liked best :)

I have been searching for a link to the Martin Parr shot of the wagon wheel ceiling light which seems to me equally odd as the red shot. I missed my chance to ask him why he took it. Hopefully there will be another chance.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2018, 03:44:10 am »

You wee devil Ivo you edited your post with the images in and excluded the one I liked best :)

I have been searching for a link to the Martin Parr shot of the wagon wheel ceiling light which seems to me equally odd as the red shot. I missed my chance to ask him why he took it. Hopefully there will be another chance.
I'm splitting them in separate posts, Mike... :-)

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2018, 03:45:08 am »

Be quick, I have to go and decorate the dining room, sigh.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up