Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X-Rite i1Profiler v1.8.1 release - any feedback?  (Read 1562 times)

narikin

X-Rite i1Profiler v1.8.1 release - any feedback?
« on: September 07, 2018, 02:13:11 pm »

Hi all - anyone notice any useful/significant change to this upgrade release? I prefer not to mess if it adds nothing worthwhile.

(ps: kind of amazed we are still on 1.x releases. They will run out of digits soon!)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: X-Rite i1Profiler v1.8.1 release - any feedback?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 03:30:35 pm »

I read the release notes and decided there's nothing new that affects me so I left it on 1.8. It will be more or less useful to different people depending on their requirements.

There has been, and remains, a bug in the Measure Chart set-up procedure that I brought to their attention about 2 years ago and once or twice since then, they replicated it, they acknowledge it exists, and they haven't bothered to fix it - it's a nuisance for those who set-up custom chart layouts for measuring patches; there is a workaround but workarounds shouldn't be necessary. Says a lot about this company, but come to think of it, nothing we didn't know already. The products are basically good, but zero or poor documentation and sloppy software implementation around the edges.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Doug Gray

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 05:20:52 pm »

There has been, and remains, a bug in the Measure Chart set-up procedure that I brought to their attention about 2 years ago and once or twice since then, they replicated it, they acknowledge it exists, and they haven't bothered to fix it - it's a nuisance for those who set-up custom chart layouts for measuring patches; there is a workaround but workarounds shouldn't be necessary. Says a lot about this company, but come to think of it, nothing we didn't know already. The products are basically good, but zero or poor documentation and sloppy software implementation around the edges.

Mark,
I use custom "measure" charts for reading CCs or a small set of colors I want to record but always use spot mode. I haven't encountered any issue in that mode. For I1Pro2/i1iSis charts, even when not making profiles, I use the profile making path out of convenience and just save the data after measuring the chart. I have never tried the custom path in other than spot reading mode. Am I not encountering it by accident? What is the nature of the bug?

faberryman

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 05:48:38 pm »

Says a lot about this company, but come to think of it, nothing we didn't know already. The products are basically good, but zero or poor documentation and sloppy software implementation around the edges.
Exactly. I bought an iOne to calibrate my Mac desktop and laptop monitors. It worked for a year or so and then they dropped software support. It wouldn't run on the new Mac OS. They didn't make any effort to update the software and said I would have to their latest and greatest hardware unit. What a waste of money.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 07:34:51 pm »

Mark,
I use custom "measure" charts for reading CCs or a small set of colors I want to record but always use spot mode. I haven't encountered any issue in that mode. For I1Pro2/i1iSis charts, even when not making profiles, I use the profile making path out of convenience and just save the data after measuring the chart. I have never tried the custom path in other than spot reading mode. Am I not encountering it by accident? What is the nature of the bug?

I am also measuring in Spot Mode.

(1) Let us say in Measure Chart you have defined a custom chart with 1 row, 30 columns and saved it as a workflow. It's one row of 30 patches.
(2) When you want to use that workflow, you open Measure Chart, click on that workflow, and in the Measurement tab you will see a chart of 506 patches, not 30 patches.
(3) To correct this, you need to go back to the Define Chart tab and change the number of columns say to 29, then change it back to 30, and this will jog what appears on the Measurement tab to the correct 30 patches in a single row.

X-Rite is well aware of this problem, they've replicated it, but they are either too cheap or too lazy or both to put the resources into fixing it - a long time running.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Doug Gray

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 09:03:26 pm »

What a weird bug. I've never gone beyond what's needed for a CCSG so never encountered it. When measuring more than 30 patches for other reasons, I always group them in a cluster or just a vertical column so never ran across this.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 03:31:46 am »

Exactly. I bought an iOne to calibrate my Mac desktop and laptop monitors. It worked for a year or so and then they dropped software support. It wouldn't run on the new Mac OS. They didn't make any effort to update the software and said I would have to their latest and greatest hardware unit. What a waste of money.
It wasn't about making you buy new hardware, you could buy their new software that supported your old instrument.

It certainly wasn't an issue that they handled particularly well though.

Ethan Hansen

• Dry Creek Photo
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 08:25:11 pm »

The only new feature I saw in 1.8.1 is that the measurement pane offers to start or restart the X-Rite Device service on Windows when the instrument is not detected. That can be helpful, as I've experienced times when exactly such action was necessary for i1Profiler to find the instrument. On the downside, detection time for an i1Display used as a dongle definitely increased. Sometimes manually clicking through to the display profiling pane is needed to flip i1Profiler out of "Demo" mode.

Just for grins I replicated Doug's experiments with i1P 1.8.0 vs. 1.7 and saw the same behaviour as Doug. I also noticed that X-Rite now includes the old MonacoProfiler DEVS tag. This was a measurement data tag later superseded by CxF. I can only assume some major X-Rite customer didn't want to screw around with parsing the XML nightmare of CxF for some internal use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up